Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
What is the model number of your SurgeGuard? On my 2012 Knight I have a SurgeGuard Model 41260 but it is also the transfer Switch. Is yours separate from the transfer switch?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Installed vs portable. I chose portable for this very reason. If the installed version fails for its own reason, which is rare, and the pedestal is good, as it is 99% of the time, you're without power for no good reason.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #17

Hard-wire it and forget it--wire around it if you ever have to. One year warrantee vs lifetime......need more info than this--cant help you......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:21 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Dennis, it' the same as yours. We checked the pedestal ourselves and found it to be ok with our meter. On the surge guard the lights that show that service is needed are not on. They are suppose to be taking their rig in today and will let me know what is found wrong with it. When I find out I'll post it here. Thanks
Old 09-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Installed vs portable. I chose portable for this very reason. If the installed version fails for its own reason, which is rare, and the pedestal is good, as it is 99% of the time, you're without power for no good reason.

Most likely go portable for the reasons you mention. I do have an Aladin system ( that stilll works ) to alos monitor and do carry a DVOM with me.

Do they make a lock for the portable unit?
Old 09-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin man View Post
Dennis, it' the same as yours. We checked the pedestal ourselves and found it to be ok with our meter. On the surge guard the lights that show that service is needed are not on. They are suppose to be taking their rig in today and will let me know what is found wrong with it. When I find out I'll post it here. Thanks
The reason I brought this up is because everyone has been responding about a surge suppressor probably because they do not know that Surge Guard is the brand of the unit in question and it is actually the main transfer switch with a built in surge suppressor. (Surge Guard 50A Automatic Transfer Switch with Limited Protection | Technology Research, LLC)
The surge suppressor part of this transfer switch is a "one-shot" unit, so once it gets hit it self destructs. That is why is why I added the Progressive EMS unit to my system.

As for the problem at hand, I would be looking for a loose wire somewhere between the 50a plug and inside the switch.

Tags
surge guard