Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #1

Surge Suppressor as Standard Equipment?

I own a 2001 Dynasty tag axle. I see no information on either the build sheet or in the owners manual about there being a permanently mounted surge supporessor in that year or model, although I would think that would have been standard equipment. Can anyone tell me if surge suppression was standard? Also, if not, have people added permanent surge suppression to your rigs? (I don't like the idea of a "temporary" suppressor at the 50A service box).

Thanks in advance

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Gary,
I took a look at the archived brochures for 2001 dyansty and didn't see it listed either as standard equipment or as an option. Seems like they would have shown it one way or the other but I guess not. If it was there, the build sheet would/should have shown it. It is shown on my build sheet for 05 dynasty.
http://www.monacocoach.com/StaticFil.../01Dynasty.pdf
Yes, you should be able to hardwire one in.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I own a 2001 Dynasty tag axle. I see no information on either the build sheet or in the owners manual about there being a permanently mounted surge supporessor in that year or model, although I would think that would have been standard equipment. Can anyone tell me if surge suppression was standard? Also, if not, have people added permanent surge suppression to your rigs? (I don't like the idea of a "temporary" suppressor at the 50A service box). Thanks in advance Gary
Gary,

On my '03 Sig, I have an Esco transfer switch. The transfer switch has a external box attached which is a surge suppressor. Here is one that can be hard wired in front of the transfer switch & gives great protection:

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
The Progressive EMS gives much more than surge protection and is something I recommend to all RVers. It checks for proper wiring when you plug into a pedestal before it allows electricity into the rig. It protects against not only voltage spikes but low voltage, out of range cycles, and also upon power interruption will delay reconnection so air conditioner compressor has time to equalize pressure before restart. Also company stands behind product with life-time warranty and free repair. I wouldn't be without one!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #5

I strongly support the comments about the Progressive unit. We've had the same progressive 50A internal mount box on our last 3 coaches starting with a 2005 Diesel Bounder. Even though the newer Tiffins have a version of the surge protector, the Progressive covers a lot higher current levels, and other items like over/under current and others. I installed the Progressive box in the new Tiffin Bus and now feel I have better overall protection. The only drawback is that my shore power or generator power takes 30-45 seconds to come on as both systems vet the incoming power.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Get a Progressive unit. We choose the portable unit because we can check the parks pedestal and then put it into the electrical bay where it is safe from sticky fingers and out of the weather. I made up a short pigtail (about 3 foot long) and plug that into the coach, and plug the Progressive unit into it. Richard (see tester on site by searching) made me a electrical device that I carry in the toad. when checking in I go to the camp site, check the pedestal for proper wiring and voltage. then I move the MH to the site and plug the progressive unit in for safety while I'm there. Progressive also makes a unit that you hardwire into MH system.. I bought my tester from "Richard D. Smith" <dr4film@gmail.com as he makes them up as people order them. Safe Travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #7

My Phaeton came with a surge suppressor. It I still installed a Progressive. I like being able to see the display when I plug it in and the fact that it will show if there was a problem when you were out and what that problem may have been.
Just like my TPMS or Protect-a-tow, the peace of mind it provides is well worth the cost for myself.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #8

The Progressive is the best out there. I have installed them in each of my two coaches. I would use the permanent installation. Depending of how much room you have after your transfer switch, I would recommend installation after, not before, the transfer switch. This provides protection from bad shore power and a possible generator malfunction.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Like others, I also love my Progressive EMS-HW50C. It's so much more than a surge suppressor. While surges may be a concern, they are rare compared to the high or low voltages, or wiring problems that the Progressive system guards against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigginsjsr View Post
Depending of how much room you have after your transfer switch, I would recommend installation after, not before, the transfer switch. This provides protection from bad shore power and a possible generator malfunction.
I most strongly concur that AFTER the transfer switch is the best place to install the protection system. The common logic I hear for putting it before the transfer switch is to protect the transfer switch itself. Well, transfer switches are relatively cheap, and for the most part are just a set of relay contacts that aren't really susceptible to surges. I believe that most transfer switch failures are a result of loose connections, or switching while under heavy load -- not surges.

On the other hand, generator failures are not uncommon, especially voltage regulation issues. In my mind, it just doesn't make sense to put thousands of dollars of coach equipment at risk from a generator malfunction, just to protect a transfer switch that costs at most a couple of hundred dollars.

An added benefit is that when installed after transfer switch, the EMS system can also display the voltage, frequency, and current supplied by the generator.

I installed mine by pulling the mounting screws that hold the entire breaker box into the back closet wall. There was plenty of slack to pull the breaker box out of the wall, cut the line feeding it, and and install the EMS-HW50C there. I then ran the display cable down to the shore power compartment, and mounted a dual display switch there. The switch drives one display by the shore cord reel, and another one inside by the main monitor panel.

When plugging in, I flip the switch to the outside display, make sure everything is good, and then flip the switch to the inside display where I can monitor it throughout the stay.

Even if you have a factory installed surge suppressor, I heartily recommend and hard-wired Progressive EMS unit -- it does so much more!
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Another vote for the Progressive! I use the hard-wired HW-50C. PI has a great reputation for service and by far the best warranty!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote