RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #1

Surging at lower speeds

Hi all,

I have a 2003 Beaver Monterey Carmel that we bought about 1 and a half years ago. It has a 350 Cummins with a 6 speed Alison transmission. It runs great on the open highway and using cruise. However, when I'm going slow in parking lots or back roads it has a tendency to surge. Has anyone else experienced this problem? What should I check first?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Paul S.
2003 Beaver Monterey Carmel
2011 Caliber toad

Rolltide19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #2

Sorry you're here with problems.
If the fuel filters have been changed, and the problem still persists, a check of the TPS, ( Throttle Position Sensor ) is in order.
Is the problem at a specific engine RPM ? Or vehicle speed ?
If you, manually select a lower gear and run at a higher RPM, do you still get the surge ?

Old 10-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #3

Re: engine surge

Thanks for replying Skip.
The fuel-water separator was changed about a month ago but I was seeing this problem before that. I thought that might be the cause, but no change to surge after filter change. I am not familiar with the TPS and I can't find it in my manual so I don't know how to go about checking it.
The problem happens at around 25-30 MPH but only if on flat or downhill grade at constant speed or slowing. Does not happen on up hill, or accelerating. I also had it happen when exiting a freeway around 50 mph and decelerating. Next time I take it out I will try a lower gear and higher RPM combo. Probably won't be moving it for at least a week.

Thanks,
Paul S
2003 Beaver Monterey Carmel
towing a 2011 Dodge Caliber
Rolltide19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Why not hit a cummins shop and have the at least hook up a computer to it. They normally don't charge for this, and have answers in seconds.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #5
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard Paul.

Sorry you're having problems. There could be any number of causes for the surging you are experiencing. Most Cummins engines have two fuel filters. I noticed you said the water separator was changed but how about the other filter? From there the diagnosis gets a little more complex and requires test equipment that most RVers don't have. Could be the TPS, the governor inside the fuel injection pump, a bad nozzle, or something completely unrelated to the fuel system. I agree with Jay in taking it to a reliable diesel repair facility and have them check it over. Throwing parts at it becomes expensive very quickly on a diesel. Best of luck on a solution.

Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do you drive with the exhaust brake always on?
Old 10-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltide19 View Post
I am not familiar with the TPS and I can't find it in my manual so I don't know how to go about checking it.
The TPS, is kind of like a volume knob on an old radio, if it's sending a scratchy signal to the ECM, ( Engine Control Module ) you get unstable RPM.
Most times the TPS is attached to the pedal it's self, I had problems with mine , due to a rusted hinge on the pedal.
Beyond examining the hinge, and making sure the electrical connector to the under dash wiring harness is clean and tight. Hooking the coach to a scan tool is required to check for proper operation.
I do agree with others about checking for multiple fuel filters, on your coach , many other members have had problems where the problem traced back to a second filter , some even a third small debris screen, before the filters, but, their complaints were most often lack of power.

Paul, it appears that you are typing in your coach info with every post, if you, go to " Edit Signature " on the left side of your " User CP" page, left end of the blue bar, under your welcome message, type your info in and click " Save " at the bottom of the page, the info will automatically appear below your posts.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #8

Hi Paul,I had this exact same problem with my 2003 camelot with the cummins 350,after replacing all filters,lift pump (only because it was leaking) it ended up being the TPS which is part of the throttle pedal.Monaco is not releasing a replacement for these so I got a used one from colaw salvage rv and it took care of my problem.I know your taking a chance on a used part at $500 but my options were limited.Good Luck and I hope you find the problem.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #9

Info here that may come in handy for hard to find , TPS and throttle controls.

http://www.dsf-technologies.com/uplo...spdf_2_166.pdf