Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2008, 04:30 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
There have been past discussions on this subject. Here are my results.

Purchased the Monaco Knight 8-31-07. Sound from Radio/CD/DVD was poor from the start. Factory fix was installed, but I was not happy with the results. No real improvement and to much stuff crammed into to small a space so I removed the stuff and returned the system back to original. Last week, wife and I spent a fair amount of time in the coach because of rain, I again became unhappy with the sound and had to do something. As of this afternoon, I have great clean sound, no hum or buzz, just great sound and when there is no sound, the system is completely silent - Great.

In case your interested, here is what I did.

At the AMC XSA 5.1 Pro Sound Amplifier, I installed a "Ground Loop Isolator", (Pyramid 15 Amp High Quality Noise Suppressor Isolation Transformer NS-20). Because of the location where the Isolation Transfer will be installed, you must first convert the 2 female plugs to male plugs and the 2 male plugs to female plugs that are attached attached on the Isloation Transformer. This is easily done using Radio Shack "Phone Plug Couplers, 2 each #274-1553"¯ and "Phono Jack Couplers, 2 each #274-873". These couplers are simple "plug-in"¯ devices. If these couplers are not used, the Isolation Transfer will be installed backwards. Won't hurt anything, but won't work that way. The Isolation Transformer is plugged into the 2 audio inputs on the Pro Sound Amplifier (where the audio cable from the radio was). The audio cable from the radio which was unplugged from the Pro Sound Amplifier is then plugged into the Isolation Transformer. (Radio Shack also has their own brand of the Ground Loop Isolator).

The AMC XSA 5.1 Pro Sound Amplifier has 4 volume controls located on the same side where the audio inputs are. They are covered with little plastic plugs. Each one is Factory Set to the maximum clockwise rotation setting. None of these are "balance or fader controls"¯. They are simply volume controls.
The first one is "Master Volume". Leave this set to maximum.
The second one is " Front L/R (speakers)". I reset mine to the midway point
The third one is "Rear L/R (speakers)"¯. I reset mine to the midway point.
The forth one (last one) is "SW"¯ (Sub Woofer Speaker). Leave this set to maximum.

Lastly, I replaced the 2 Front Left and Right speakers with Pioneer flush-mount 6-½"¯ Dual-Cone speakers. These speakers install directly into the location where the old speakers were.

Several times today I went out to the coach to make sure I would again hear what I had heard earlier and each time I checked the system: WOW - Clean Pure Sound. No Hum. No Buzz. With very little money spent I now have a Great Sound System.

Parts Used :
1- Ground Loop Isolator- Pyramid 15 Amp High Quality Noise Suppressor Isolation Transformer - NS-20
2- Radio Shack Phono Jack Coupler - 274-873
2- Radio Shack Phono Jack Coupler - 274-1553
1- set (2 speakers) Pioneer flush-mount 6-½"¯ Dual Cone Speakers.

A Pic of the speakers I used are in Logthumper's Photos below, Starting again with Monaco, 3rd page.

Add-on Note:
Don't overlook the Treble, Bass and Fader Controls provided within the Dash Radio, also the equalizer button control on the Dash Radio itself.

6-18-2008 Update: Added second subwoofer in front of coach. Now has that full sound up front also. Location is by the drivers left foot. A space just waiting to be put to a good use. Pics below.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:30 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
There have been past discussions on this subject. Here are my results.

Purchased the Monaco Knight 8-31-07. Sound from Radio/CD/DVD was poor from the start. Factory fix was installed, but I was not happy with the results. No real improvement and to much stuff crammed into to small a space so I removed the stuff and returned the system back to original. Last week, wife and I spent a fair amount of time in the coach because of rain, I again became unhappy with the sound and had to do something. As of this afternoon, I have great clean sound, no hum or buzz, just great sound and when there is no sound, the system is completely silent - Great.

In case your interested, here is what I did.

At the AMC XSA 5.1 Pro Sound Amplifier, I installed a "Ground Loop Isolator", (Pyramid 15 Amp High Quality Noise Suppressor Isolation Transformer NS-20). Because of the location where the Isolation Transfer will be installed, you must first convert the 2 female plugs to male plugs and the 2 male plugs to female plugs that are attached attached on the Isloation Transformer. This is easily done using Radio Shack "Phone Plug Couplers, 2 each #274-1553"¯ and "Phono Jack Couplers, 2 each #274-873". These couplers are simple "plug-in"¯ devices. If these couplers are not used, the Isolation Transfer will be installed backwards. Won't hurt anything, but won't work that way. The Isolation Transformer is plugged into the 2 audio inputs on the Pro Sound Amplifier (where the audio cable from the radio was). The audio cable from the radio which was unplugged from the Pro Sound Amplifier is then plugged into the Isolation Transformer. (Radio Shack also has their own brand of the Ground Loop Isolator).

The AMC XSA 5.1 Pro Sound Amplifier has 4 volume controls located on the same side where the audio inputs are. They are covered with little plastic plugs. Each one is Factory Set to the maximum clockwise rotation setting. None of these are "balance or fader controls"¯. They are simply volume controls.
The first one is "Master Volume". Leave this set to maximum.
The second one is " Front L/R (speakers)". I reset mine to the midway point
The third one is "Rear L/R (speakers)"¯. I reset mine to the midway point.
The forth one (last one) is "SW"¯ (Sub Woofer Speaker). Leave this set to maximum.

Lastly, I replaced the 2 Front Left and Right speakers with Pioneer flush-mount 6-½"¯ Dual-Cone speakers. These speakers install directly into the location where the old speakers were.

Several times today I went out to the coach to make sure I would again hear what I had heard earlier and each time I checked the system: WOW - Clean Pure Sound. No Hum. No Buzz. With very little money spent I now have a Great Sound System.

Parts Used :
1- Ground Loop Isolator- Pyramid 15 Amp High Quality Noise Suppressor Isolation Transformer - NS-20
2- Radio Shack Phono Jack Coupler - 274-873
2- Radio Shack Phono Jack Coupler - 274-1553
1- set (2 speakers) Pioneer flush-mount 6-½"¯ Dual Cone Speakers.

A Pic of the speakers I used are in Logthumper's Photos below, Starting again with Monaco, 3rd page.

Add-on Note:
Don't overlook the Treble, Bass and Fader Controls provided within the Dash Radio, also the equalizer button control on the Dash Radio itself.

6-18-2008 Update: Added second subwoofer in front of coach. Now has that full sound up front also. Location is by the drivers left foot. A space just waiting to be put to a good use. Pics below.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:36 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Logthumper,

I also have had the hum problem rectified, after having torn out all the extra parts Monaco installed in accordance with the SB. I also found that my dealer had installed the Pyramid 15 Amp Noise Suppressor Isolation Transformer NS-20 (shown here) that you installed (along with the adaptors that changed the gender of the cables). Thanks for your confirmation that this isolation transformer was indeed responsible for the elimination of the problem. Looks as though a true solution has finally been discovered.

What lead you to the decision to replace the two speakers? Do they sound a lot better than the original box speakers? Can you post a picture of how they look in your coach?
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:04 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Logthumper and Robin,
I just checked my sytem and I do have the Pyramid NS-20 sound supressor transformer. It was installed before I bought it. I was wondering why I haven't had any humming problems like you all.

My subwoofer isn't very strong in the volume department. I'll have to take the Amplifier off of the cabinet wall to get to the volume screws. I was able to get the rubber plugs off and use a mirror to see where the settings were and they all looked the same. I was hoping that my subwoofer was turned down. It could also be the placement of the subwoofer under the back of the sink. I won't be sure until I take the amp off of the wall to get to them. Oh yeah, I should also wait for CheetahGirl to wake up first!

AKBrick
Old 06-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Robin_M:
CHANGE OUT those 2 front speakers. You will be amazed at the sound improvement. I added a pic in my Logthumper's Pics below. I had the ground loop transformer and the speakers in my "Collection Box". The speakers are black, but I already had them. I think they look great. White may look better???, but I'm so pleased with the sound out of these black ones that I probable will stay with the black. Are you the Robin I used to know in the Power Stroke site?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
AKBrick:
I found these settings to be the best:
The first adjustment (Master Volume)at full clockwise.
The second adjustment (Front L/R)reset to 1/2 of the clockwise setting.
The third adjustment (Rear L/R) reste to 1/2 of the clockwise setting.
The forth adjustment (SW - Sub Woofer)left at full clockwise.

These settings will allow you to increase the volume level at the radio volume control, thereby improveing the overall level to the Sub Woofer in relation to the Front L/R and Rear L/R speakers.

I moved my Sub Woofer from under the table cabinets to under the kitchen sink. It is now located right behind the louvered access cover. Works so well that you can lay your hand on the sink top and "feel" the sound. Pic of this is in "Logthumpers Pics" below, then "Starting over again with Monaco".

REPLACEING the front speakers made a big improvement also.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Nice to hear. My coach is at the Wildwood Service Center being worked on now. If they don't correct the problem, I am going to try your solutions.
Thanks

2007 HR Endeavor 40SFT
AreWeThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
Hawkeye

Logthumper,
Sounds great (pun intended). I'm going to show my ignorance here but, where is the AMC XSA 5.1 Pro Sound Amplifier located? Part of the Magnadyne "radio" system in the dash? Could you please give a little more detail on the hook-up. Thank you.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hawkeye, Depending on what coach you have and what else you have installed in that cabinet above the driver, the amp could be located under a wooden shelf at the bottom of the cabinet. Or it may be fastened to one of the inside cabinet walls.

AreWeThere, Do NOT let them install the 120v converter and the switchbox under SB 07-07-08. It takes up the whole cabinet, does not solve the problem, and adds new problems of it's own. If that's what they want to do, try the Pyramid Isolation Transformer described in this thread first.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hawkeye:
Posts by SacsTC and Robin_M have answered your question about the Amplifier location. As far as additional hook-up detail, my starting post is about as detailed as I can make it. No cheap shot but it might be best to leave it alone if your not familiar/comfortable working with this kind of stuff. You don't want to make smoke.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:23 AM   #11
Hawkeye

Okay people, I have been enlightened. Thank you all. I shall try this and hope not to "make smoke"
Old 06-05-2008, 07:53 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">AreWeThere, Do NOT let them install the 120v converter and the switchbox under SB 07-07-08. It takes up the whole cabinet, does not solve the problem, and adds new problems of it's own. If that's what they want to do, try the Pyramid Isolation Transformer described in this thread first. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Robin,
They did that about 3 months ago, but I did tell them that I wanted it removed. I'm supposed to call them in the morning and I WILL let them know again that I want it removed. It generates way too much heat.
Thanks

2007 HR Endeavor 40SFT
AreWeThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #13
Hawkeye

Now I am happy too. Installed a ground-loop isolator as per recommendations-my amp was under the shelf in the front cabinet above the driver (dumb location). I used a Nexxtech ground loop isolator part #2700054 obtained from Source by Circuit City (formerly Radio Shack Canada). This part has male plugs on both ends. Plug connections on the left of part(when held reading the labeling) in the amp. The other connections will require the phone jack to phone jack coupler. No smoke yet.

Thanks to all.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Hawkeye:
How are you doing? Getting the sound your looking for?? If not, replace the 2 front speakers.