Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post

I have always thought that the absence of those restraints was responsible for most of the damaged upper shock mounts on 8-10 bag Monaco's.
It's certainly possible.
When changing front shocks from the factory Monroe's, to the Bilstien's, I recall the extended length of the Bilstiens being about 1" shorter than the Monroe's.
I just hoped Bilstien did their research before suggesting this shock for this application!
I have air leveling, and have on occasion, stretched the bags out pretty far!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
It's certainly possible.
When changing front shocks from the factory Monroe's, to the Bilstien's, I recall the extended length of the Bilstiens being about 1" shorter than the Monroe's.
I just hoped Bilstien did their research before suggesting this shock for this application!
I have air leveling, and have on occasion, stretched the bags out pretty far!

Checked my shocks when Source installed them, they also stretch the bags all the way up to check any issues. One thing I notice the shock brackets are very unrefined for a better word. Another project in the future.

I have no straps or mounts for them.

Checked my neighbors brand new Newmar, it doesn’t have straps either. Is this after market, or Owner installed?

Old 01-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Neither one of my two Dutch Stars had limiting straps, neither does my present Magna. How ever some years of CC did but of a different design than what's shown here.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #18

The straps are mostly a back up to take extension load off the shocks on road going vehicles, not an active component for suspension operation like on off road vehicles.

When you lift your air ride suspension equipped coach to the air spring extension limit, it has travel stops built in to protect it from damage.

The advantage of having extension limiting straps in this case is not having to jack the vehicle has high to clear the wheels from the ground when servicing a wheel.

Standard shocks installed also limit the extension travel when jacking the vehicle, and no damage to the shock will be experienced by normal jacking to their limits.

Both Shocks and extension limiting straps can be damaged during a rapid extension to the stop event, (extreme bouncing).

Usually a shock will not allow movement rapid enough to damage it by its built in rebound control.

If you noticed a sudden jerk, or top out of the limiting strap, your shocks have failed, (worn out), and require replacement.

I would assume if anyone of us has experienced this while driving our coaches, other issues would have been at play that required immediate attention, like maintaining control of the coach during some type of emergency.

So basically, the straps are a convenience, not a necessity.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:44 PM   #19

"When you lift your air ride suspension equipped coach to the air spring extension limit, it has travel stops built in to protect it from damage."

DTW - When I replaced my airbags, I cut a couple of them open to see how they looked on the inside - I didn't see any mechanism to keep them from extending any particular distance - I don't have any travel limiter straps, cables, or chains (yet) and as near as I can tell - the only thing limiting the extension is in fact the shocks, are there different kinds of airbags, or am I missing something else?
Old 01-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Averill View Post
"When you lift your air ride suspension equipped coach to the air spring extension limit, it has travel stops built in to protect it from damage."

DTW - When I replaced my airbags, I cut a couple of them open to see how they looked on the inside - I didn't see any mechanism to keep them from extending any particular distance - I don't have any travel limiter straps, cables, or chains (yet) and as near as I can tell - the only thing limiting the extension is in fact the shocks, are there different kinds of airbags, or am I missing something else?

Sir,
Basically as far as the air springs are concerned, the only thing that is limiting the travel is the rubber bag itself. That rubber bag is really very strong for its intended purpose.

But still the rubber bag and the shocks can be damaged from what I'll describe as snatching or topping out rapidly, they will also age out and leak air from deterioration.

Now by no means am I saying in this or my previous post that its ok to not avoid as much as possible stretching your springs out while hanging the weight of the entire axle on it, but you can as long as you realize they do deteriorate.

Having said that, I normally take advantage of the stretched out air spring to inspect and clean it. Rubber care products for tires work very well for this.

Hope I'm not making this more confusing.

Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension