RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Sway bars and air leveling ?

Hello - I am considering adding sway bars to our Windsor. Would sway bars play nice with the HWH air leveling (not active air) ??

Thanks

2002 Windsor

str8six is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
A professional Roadmaster Anti-Sway Installer could answer that question. You might want to call Source Engineering or the manufacturer Roadmaster. deSanford

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm wondering why you need sway bars on a 2002 Windsor? I have found this model to be extremely stable on the road. Mine drives and rides like a dream!

My shocks were worn out when I bought the coach and there was a lot of rocking over uneven pavement. I installed new Bilstein shocks all the way around and that took out all the swaying.

I installed the SteerSafe stabilizers for blowout protection also.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I too question the need for sway bars. The 2002 Windsor is on the same chassis as the Dynasty. With the 8 outboard air bags, one thing you don't get is sway.

The Roadmaster chassis can be subject to wander, which is now solved with a trailing arm cross bar designed by Van Williams, a member of this forum. After installing the cross brace, if the problem is not solved, then changing the suspension bushings becomes the final solution.

I used to have the worst handling and riding coach in the world. With new suspension bushings and Van Williams's cross brace, I now own the absolute best handling and riding coach in the world.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #5

Str86,
I tried to install Roadmaster sway bars that I purchased from Source Engineering about 2 yrs ago hoping to cut down on some of the sway even though I had new Bilsteins. In my case, they wouldn't work. I ended up going to the FMCA rally in Indio, CA where Wayne Wells (real nice guy) from Roadmaster attempted to install my bars. He determined that the back was impossible to make work and the front would require brackets to be welded onto the frame.

My suggestion would be to contact Scott at Source Engineering. He will know if they will work with your rig. I will also say that both Source and Roadmaster were a pleasure to work. I have learned that there are a lot of differences between same year models (ex. Windsors manufactured in Indiana vs. Oregon).

Thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Hello - I am considering adding sway bars to our Windsor. Would sway bars play nice with the HWH air leveling (not active air) ??
Sway bars should have no effect on leveling. They are neutral when setting as they are when driving in a straight line.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:48 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
A professional Roadmaster Anti-Sway Installer could answer that question. You might want to call Source Engineering or the manufacturer Roadmaster. deSanford
That's my story...........My 8 bag Monaco Navistar Chassis would sway all over the place, but now with the Roadmaster Anti Sway Bars I can take freeway on and off ramps like a large Porsche. Travel out to Desert Hot Springs when the wind is blowing (usually is), and without the sway bars I was all over the road. Now the coach drives like it is on rail road tracks. Looking forward to Van's braces for the final chassis improvement when towing my Mini. deSanford
Old 03-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
That's my story...........My 8 bag Monaco Navistar Chassis would sway all over the place, but now with the Roadmaster Anti Sway Bars I can take freeway on and off ramps like a large Porsche. Travel out to Desert Hot Springs when the wind is blowing (usually is), and without the sway bars I was all over the road. Now the coach drives like it is on rail road tracks. Looking forward to Van's braces for the final chassis improvement when towing my Mini. deSanford

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #9

I'm a handling enthusiast, and a mechanical engineer. I can't endorse the sway bars, only because I've not installed them on my coach...but I plan to. The sway bar concept is sound, and a long-established performance modification for any vehicle, but especially for those with a high center of gravity, like a motor home. I think that if you install them, you will be pleased. The vast majority of folks who have installed them give very favorable reviews. They will not cure wandering or other suspension/steering issues, but they should do a good job of improving the "feel" in long, sweeping curves, and reduce the "elephant walk" over curbs and obstacles.

I have made enough suspension enhancements to my coach that I'm approaching the point of diminishing returns, but sway bars are still on my list. Although I think the Source Engineering bars are the best quality, well engineered bars on the market, I will use Hellwig bars because the bars themselves are equivalent, and I am not interested in the Source Engineering brackets. Hellwig bars are very much cheaper. The Hellwig bars are model-specific for only a very few coaches, but if you make your own brackets, they will fit a great many models.

I have a friend with whom I've worked on suspension/steering/handling issues. He has a 1991 31' Dynasty. Yes, 31 feet long. He made brackets and installed the Hellwig bars as one of his first modifications, and with the exception of replacing suspension bushings, he says it is the best handling modification he has made. "Conventional wisdom" from most of the old-timers familiar with the Roadmaster chassis, is that his coach is too short to EVER handle well. I can attest it handles as close to a Porsche as any motor home is ever going to get.

Van W. 2000 Dynasty 36
Eastern NC
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #10

They put them on Class 8 trucks for a reason. They work.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding as to what sway bars (or as the British properly refer to them as - anti-roll bars) are and what they do. Simply put, they add roll-resistance to whichever end of the vehicle they are installed on. All modern cars have front and rear sway bars, and all modern suspensions are dependent upon them to provide a smooth ride and a car that does not lean in the corners.

Their main purpose is to help the main springs keep the body of the car or coach from leaning in corners. That is it. Unless there is some other issue with the suspension geometry that causes the vehicle to change directions when the body rolls, they will not help one iota with straight line stability.

One major problem with adding sway bars to a vehicle that did not have them originally is the length and position of the "arms" of the sway bar. If they are not long enough, they can limit suspension travel as the coach leans, and one wheel bumps can place a tremendous strain on the bars and more importantly the linkages. Also, the arms must be long enough to remain reasonably horizontal (and the links must be long enough to remain reasonably vertical) as the vehicles suspension goes through it's range of motion. Otherwise, once again there will be undue strain put on the linkages. Finally, the entire setup must be able to move without binding or contacting any other part of the vehicle throughout the entire vertical range of motion of the suspension, a bit of a challenge in a MH that can lower itself 8~10 inches when parked.

Regardless of what you have, the cornering characteristics of most MHs will benefit from the addition of sway bars.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
PushedAround without "Sway-Bars" is correctable, but like he said it will NOT cure wondering etc. The Source Anti-Sway Bars manufactured by ROADMASTER were developed by IPD and tested on their MH called Rocky in Alaska years ago. ROADMASTER has government contracts to manufacture Sway-Bars for military vehicles. The bars themselves are CHROME MOLLY. They use special bushings (not rubber) and they manufacture the steel brackets that hold the bars to the chassis rails. I used the original IPD bars on my Rockwood 40' DP in 1988. deSanford
Old 03-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #13

Our last Peterbilt had an anti sway bar running from the axle to the frame innstead of the U shape.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
Our last Peterbilt had an anti sway bar running from the axle to the frame innstead of the U shape.
That sounds like a Panhard bar and not a sway bar.

Bob

nodine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling