RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 114
Swing-arm entry door hinge

I'm considering installing one of these before I get damage from a strong wind. If you have one, can you tell me how thick the assembly is? I only have 3/8" of room between the top of my door and the door frame on my Country Coach. The one in the link is made for Monaco. Thank you

https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/swing-arm-assembly-08409451-entry-door-hinge-p/190098.htm
__________________

backagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
spdracr39's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Cabot, Arkansas
Posts: 2,065
I replaced mine on the Beaver with this from the same vendor. I have roughly the same gap and it works fine. The thickness at the center hinge point is slightly over 1/4" because of the stop everywhere else the total thickness is 1/4 "
__________________

__________________
2004 Beaver Monterey Laguna/2015 Chevy Equinox
2014 Chaparral 327RLKS 5'er (FOR SALE)
2017 GMC 2500HD SLE 6.0L Z71 4x4 Standard Bed
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
Member
 
CaptV1VR's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NorCal
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
I'm considering installing one of these before I get damage from a strong wind. If you have one, can you tell me how thick the assembly is? I only have 3/8" of room between the top of my door and the door frame on my Country Coach. The one in the link is made for Monaco. Thank you



https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/swing-arm-assembly-08409451-entry-door-hinge-p/190098.htm


You may want to look at installing a gas strut on the door.
You can do a search for more instructions on this. It will help with opening up on a windy day.
I did happen to leave my scissor assembly on as a back up.
Works well!
__________________
04' Monaco Windsor 36PST
[FONT=Georgia]Pushed by a 2018 Chevy ZR2 Baby Duramax Diesel
Front & Rear Watts plus Crossbars
CaptV1VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptV1VR View Post
You may want to look at installing a gas strut on the door.
You can do a search for more instructions on this. It will help with opening up on a windy day.
I did happen to leave my scissor assembly on as a back up.
Works well!
As stated if you install a gas strut I would also leave the scissors assembly on as an opening stopper/limiter. I took my worn out scissors off and put on a gas strut. I tried 3 different struts trying to find a "soft opening" strut. After bending the brackets and ripping out the bracket screws because the strut slammed the door open so hard, I went back to a new scissors assembly. I have not put a strut back on and not sure I will. I think I will just repair and "tighten" up the scissors as others have done. Many owners have great success with the strut. Not me.
__________________
2000 36' Monaco Dynasty ISC 350 Pulling 32' Race car trailer.
Rusty Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:39 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 191
Hello. Randall Bergen, 249 Cherry Blossom Trail, Dandridge, TN. 37725 - repairs scissor arms - $40. This was a few years ago, so I'd call or email him to check if he is still repairing them. 865-323-1277 rjb4jcpa@gmail.com



Gene M
2004 Monaco Knight
CadillLinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #6
Senior Member


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Blairsville, GA & WPB, FL
Posts: 1,925
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
$40 or just bend down the portion that sticks out past the pivot...increasing the force of the dimple into the recess. In 14 years I had to bend mine on my Dynasty 2 times...takes minute with a large crescent wrench. My “new” rig needed it adjusted so only 18 months on the fix.
__________________
This post is my opinion, worth what you paid for it.
04 Dynasty 42’ Sold in 2018 after 14 great years.
My ”New” ride...08 HR Navigator 45’
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
Member
 
rmacdon61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 87
I switched over to the hydraulic piston and love it. Way less then the $170.00 scissor arm and no more door slamming open or closed. Door opens nice and slow and closes with light pressure so people don't just push and slam it.
__________________
Bob-2002 40' HR Endeavor. 330 Cummins, 3 slide, 2 johns.
rmacdon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 805
It's not hard to replace the rivet which is used as a pivot. I bought a new one a few years back. Now just re-rivet that pivot when it get's wobbly and do a swapover. It's time to do it again soon.
__________________
Rick P. '03 Dynasty
rpasetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cold Lake
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kramer View Post
As stated if you install a gas strut I would also leave the scissors assembly on as an opening stopper/limiter. I took my worn out scissors off and put on a gas strut. I tried 3 different struts trying to find a "soft opening" strut. After bending the brackets and ripping out the bracket screws because the strut slammed the door open so hard, I went back to a new scissors assembly. I have not put a strut back on and not sure I will. I think I will just repair and "tighten" up the scissors as others have done. Many owners have great success with the strut. Not me.
The gas strut that most people use is a 20" 15lb strut. That is what I used and it works really well. Here is a write-up on how to install: http://www.visualsc.com/Monaco_door_...ut_upgrade.pdf

I really like the way it opens. So far, have not run into winds that force it closed. I had tried bending my old scissor unit, but it was so worn that it dragged on my screen door every time I opened it.
bjbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 38,311
This is what I did to replace the old scissors arm! Love it!

Gas door prop installed!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:38 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cold Lake
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
This is what I did to replace the old scissors arm! Love it!

Gas door prop installed!
I like the way you did your mount on the door frame. Makes a nice clean install.
bjbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
RobRoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
$40 or just bend down the portion that sticks out past the pivot...increasing the force of the dimple into the recess. In 14 years I had to bend mine on my Dynasty 2 times...takes minute with a large crescent wrench. My “new” rig needed it adjusted so only 18 months on the fix.



X2 @ 5 years ago tweaked mine and still no problem to this day works as advertised.
__________________
2004 HR Navagator 500 ISM
RobRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
CountryB's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 4,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
It's not hard to replace the rivet which is used as a pivot. I bought a new one a few years back. Now just re-rivet that pivot when it get's wobbly and do a swapover. It's time to do it again soon.
What type and size rivet does it take - and where do you get it?
__________________
Mike ----- 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder CAT C13 525HP, 42-ft Tag, with HydraLift
**Bvr Chassis Info/Suspension Types/ https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtvAXw_lfqbToxXYREK9YdBP08Jn
**Bvr/Mnco Wiring Diagrams (84-09):https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtvAXw_lfqbTm0WTuuNqpn9a8hCh
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
What type and size rivet does it take - and where do you get it?
Actually I just cut a slug from a mild steel bolt. There are made to order rivets available, somewhere I am sure.
__________________

__________________
Rick P. '03 Dynasty
rpasetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
door, entry door



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Entry Door Swing Arm Fix rmcb Monaco Owner's Forum 22 06-14-2018 07:56 PM
Entry door swing arm assy on my 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT hummingator Monaco Owner's Forum 4 07-13-2014 08:40 AM
Entry Door Swing Arm dwkerch Monaco Owner's Forum 10 12-22-2013 07:45 AM
Entry Door Swing Arm or Gas Strut Buford B Monaco Owner's Forum 46 02-07-2012 07:37 PM
swing arm on entry door LSepulveda Class A Motorhome Discussions 1 08-16-2010 09:05 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.