Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #1

Swing-arm entry door hinge

I'm considering installing one of these before I get damage from a strong wind. If you have one, can you tell me how thick the assembly is? I only have 3/8" of room between the top of my door and the door frame on my Country Coach. The one in the link is made for Monaco. Thank you

https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/swing-arm-assembly-08409451-entry-door-hinge-p/190098.htm
backagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced mine on the Beaver with this from the same vendor. I have roughly the same gap and it works fine. The thickness at the center hinge point is slightly over 1/4" because of the stop everywhere else the total thickness is 1/4 "
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
I'm considering installing one of these before I get damage from a strong wind. If you have one, can you tell me how thick the assembly is? I only have 3/8" of room between the top of my door and the door frame on my Country Coach. The one in the link is made for Monaco. Thank you

https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/swing-arm-assembly-08409451-entry-door-hinge-p/190098.htm

You may want to look at installing a gas strut on the door.
You can do a search for more instructions on this. It will help with opening up on a windy day.
I did happen to leave my scissor assembly on as a back up.
Works well!
CaptV1VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptV1VR View Post
You may want to look at installing a gas strut on the door.
You can do a search for more instructions on this. It will help with opening up on a windy day.
I did happen to leave my scissor assembly on as a back up.
Works well!
As stated if you install a gas strut I would also leave the scissors assembly on as an opening stopper/limiter. I took my worn out scissors off and put on a gas strut. I tried 3 different struts trying to find a "soft opening" strut. After bending the brackets and ripping out the bracket screws because the strut slammed the door open so hard, I went back to a new scissors assembly. I have not put a strut back on and not sure I will. I think I will just repair and "tighten" up the scissors as others have done. Many owners have great success with the strut. Not me.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hello. Randall Bergen, 249 Cherry Blossom Trail, Dandridge, TN. 37725 - repairs scissor arms - $40. This was a few years ago, so I'd call or email him to check if he is still repairing them. 865-323-1277 rjb4jcpa@gmail.com

Gene M
2004 Monaco Knight
CadillLinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
$40 or just bend down the portion that sticks out past the pivot...increasing the force of the dimple into the recess. In 14 years I had to bend mine on my Dynasty 2 times...takes minute with a large crescent wrench. My “new” rig needed it adjusted so only 18 months on the fix.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #7

I switched over to the hydraulic piston and love it. Way less then the $170.00 scissor arm and no more door slamming open or closed. Door opens nice and slow and closes with light pressure so people don't just push and slam it.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
It's not hard to replace the rivet which is used as a pivot. I bought a new one a few years back. Now just re-rivet that pivot when it get's wobbly and do a swapover. It's time to do it again soon.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kramer View Post
As stated if you install a gas strut I would also leave the scissors assembly on as an opening stopper/limiter. I took my worn out scissors off and put on a gas strut. I tried 3 different struts trying to find a "soft opening" strut. After bending the brackets and ripping out the bracket screws because the strut slammed the door open so hard, I went back to a new scissors assembly. I have not put a strut back on and not sure I will. I think I will just repair and "tighten" up the scissors as others have done. Many owners have great success with the strut. Not me.
The gas strut that most people use is a 20" 15lb strut. That is what I used and it works really well. Here is a write-up on how to install: http://www.visualsc.com/Monaco_door_...ut_upgrade.pdf

I really like the way it opens. So far, have not run into winds that force it closed. I had tried bending my old scissor unit, but it was so worn that it dragged on my screen door every time I opened it.
bjbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This is what I did to replace the old scissors arm! Love it!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/gas-...ed-241214.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:38 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
This is what I did to replace the old scissors arm! Love it!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/gas-...ed-241214.html
I like the way you did your mount on the door frame. Makes a nice clean install.
bjbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
$40 or just bend down the portion that sticks out past the pivot...increasing the force of the dimple into the recess. In 14 years I had to bend mine on my Dynasty 2 times...takes minute with a large crescent wrench. My “new” rig needed it adjusted so only 18 months on the fix.

X2 @ 5 years ago tweaked mine and still no problem to this day works as advertised.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
It's not hard to replace the rivet which is used as a pivot. I bought a new one a few years back. Now just re-rivet that pivot when it get's wobbly and do a swapover. It's time to do it again soon.
What type and size rivet does it take - and where do you get it?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
What type and size rivet does it take - and where do you get it?
Actually I just cut a slug from a mild steel bolt. There are made to order rivets available, somewhere I am sure.

Tags
door, entry door