Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
LML

Switched ceiling lights quit working

Living area, bedroom and kit switched lights quit working. All on separate light switches. 2004 Monaco Diplomat. All non-switched lights work fine. Checked fuses and they are good. Can't figure it out?????
LML is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Do the lights have more than one switch location to turn lights on? A 12v light must use a circuit board to control lights from multiple locations. If this is the case, you'll have to find the circuit board and check that it's working properly.

If not multiple switched, it could be a bad ground common to the non working lights. Use a jumper wire to ground the light fixture and see if they work with a known good ground.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #3

Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Living area, bedroom and kit switched lights quit working. All on separate light switches. 2004 Monaco Diplomat. All non-switched lights work fine. Checked fuses and they are good. Can't figure it out?????
When I had that problem, The fuse was not making good contact. Fuse may look good and be bad.

Terry
VegasFoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
A 12v light must use a circuit board to control lights from multiple locations.
That's true if it's a multiplex system with banks of pushbuttons around the coach. But it doesn't have to be that way: a 12V light can use the same sort of scheme as three way switches in a house. If it is controlled by a pair of toggle or rocker switches, they are probably SPDT switches with no controller board. If there is a third switch, it will be a DPDT in the middle of the chain.

They can be multiplexed and controlled by circuit boards, or they could be wired up in pretty much the same way as a house.

But if several sets of independently controlled lights went out, odds are it's a blown fuse. I used to think that all interior lights were fused at the panel in the back closet, but recently found that a lot of them are fused from the panel in the front run bay under the driver's side window.

Odds are it's a fuse (make sure to test them with a meter, they can visually look good but still be bad) but if not a fuse, the next thing to check could be a bad common ground connection?
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
LML

Only living area has dual switched. One in front by door and one at Bedroom. Bedroom and bath lights ea only have one switch.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #6
LML

The living room cold be turned on and off front either location and both did not have to be on like in a 3 way switch in a house. Don't know if this means it has a controller or not. I value your comments and look forward to more insight. Both firms who I have had work on the RV in the past are scratching their heads.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #7

2004 does not have. A multiplex system. Which fuses did you check where? Did you check the house fuses that are inside the mh in a cupboard or closet.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This wouldn't be the infamous 'salesman switch failure', would it?

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:37 PM   #9

I know that this sounds too simple, but have the bulbs been checked in each fixture? This last trip, I had to replace four bulbs, they just go bad!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:13 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I had same problem - traced to the Salesman switch - Bypassed the solenoid and all is well - the switch is useless for me.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
This wouldn't be the infamous 'salesman switch failure', would it?

Jim

X2
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:24 PM   #12
LML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
2004 does not have. A multiplex system. Which fuses did you check where? Did you check the house fuses that are inside the mh in a cupboard or closet.
I checked the fuses in the bedroom panel per the wiring diagram it called for fuse 5 which looks good. I will check it with a tester tomorrow to see if it shows power.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #13
LML

I have not but we are talking about 5 fixtures and 10 bulbs. I replaced all bulbs about 2 months ago and they worked fine. I will verify fuse is good with a tester. Just strange the one over sink went out then 4 in living room then bedroom. All this over a few days
Old 05-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #14
LML

Not sure what that is????

Tags
ceiling, light, lights