Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Just a heads up, there's been many posts on this forum regarding the snap switch and the heater itself. Most of them regard both of these items as very unreliable. Many have changed out the 12 volt heater with a small 110 volt AC heater with its own built-in thermostat. Of course you'll need to add an outlet or wire the heater directly to its own breaker, because you probably won't find an outlet near the wet bay. Ideally would be to power it off a heavy current solenoid that you would be actuated with a switch up inside the coach, also with an indicator light.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
If your 12 v heater goes out, rather than wire a 120 v heater into the wet bay, I'd replace it with one of these:
12 Volt Auto Heater / Defroster with Light

If the thermostatic snap switch goes out, check Ebay for about $7.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
When driving, it's not feasible to have a 120 VAC heater working in your service bay.

While parked it would work fine.

When I decided to replace the rusted bucket of junk heater that Monaco installed, this is what I chose. Photos attached.

Since the original heater had an internal relay I had to install an external relay that could handle the amps.

You can see the rusted spot where the old heater was located.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Service Bay Heater-06.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	49336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Service Bay Heater-08.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	49337  

Name:	Service Bay Heater-05.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	49338  
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #18

That looks good, where did you ge the heater and relay? I layed a small bag of ice on the snapdisk last night...no luck...no lights on the switch or next to it, and nothing out of the bay heater. I checked the snap disk fuse, and it looks ok. Had the electric portion of the Aquahot on cause the manual says it has to be on for the bay heater to work...not sure why that is...Guess I need to see if power is getting to the switch at all...
speerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by speerfamily View Post

That looks good, where did you get the heater and relay?
I purchased both on Amazon.com

Amazon.com: RoadPro RPSL-581 12V All Season Black Heater and Fan with Swivel Base: Automotive

Amazon.com: Absolute USA 2 In-line ATC Fuse Holder, 2 Relay RLS125 12 VCD Automotive Relay SPDT 30/40A and 2 SRS105 12 VDC 5-Pin Relay Socket: Car Electronics

You could probably find a similar relay at NAPA Auto Parts Store.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
system heat switch

ok, i have searched high and low for the snap disk in the wet bay, on the frame, just about everywhere !! cannot locate !! the heater in the wet bay is 12v and on the front of it, it has a rocker switch that reads FAN OFF HEATER also there is a knob that can be turned to HIGH or LOW position (im guessing this is a thermostat control) When i turned on the system heat switch in the coach, the red light came on (on the rocker switch itself) it stayed lit for 5 mins. then the light went out. When i turn the heater switch onto heater position (in the wet bay)the fan comes on and it does make heat. now i turn the little black thermostat knob counterclockwise toward the high side the fan will shut off. (mind you this fan works weather or not the system heat rocker switch is on or off) do you suppose this is not a monaco heater product?? Has anyone out there have the same bay heater box ??? im going to guess the heater unit is 10"x10"square,and about 5" deep. Many thanks to ALL who have assisted !!!
ronlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #21

Heater size is close to mine,my heater has no other way to turn on or off except at main switch in coach, light in switch is on when first turned on, then as snap disk [it is located right next to heater in wet bay] is on,small light beside switch also is on, this is when temp has dropped down to close to freezing mark. Your heater may not be original or changed by other owner? My RV is a 2004 Monaco Camelot all original at this time. Hope this helps.
rebel
rebelcarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a snap disk just trace the wire from the heater directly to it.

Mine is mounted up high in the service bay on the rear panel.

Sometimes you might need to take a large mirror and find it that way.

Or possibly someone has changed the configuration, it wouldn't be the first time.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
If you have a snap disk just trace the wire from the heater directly to it.

Mine is mounted up high in the service bay on the rear panel.

Sometimes you might need to take a large mirror and find it that way.

Or possibly someone has changed the configuration, it wouldn't be the first time.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
My 07 Neptune is the same. Have to reach your head up under wet bay panel and look up. Not a pleasant place as you know what's in that area, lol.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #24

Service Bay Heater Question

Quote:
Monaco did NOT wire the System Heat switch correctly in some coaches, mine included.

If you have the Cold Weather Package, you will have a Service Bay heater AND tank pad heaters for the fresh water, gray and black tanks, at least that's what I have with my Cold Weather Package.

Without the Cold Weather Package, when activating the System Heat switch, nothing will happen until the snap disk located in your service bay reaches the set point temperature. When that has been reached your switch and an adjacent RED indicator light will light up indicating that the heater in the service bay is now activated and running.

With the Cold Weather Package, when you activate the System Heat switch the tank pad heaters will come on immediately BUT the service bay heater will NOT until called for by the snap disk.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

I have my Cheetah in a covered outdoor shelter and is hooked up to shore power at all times, but will be going to Hawaii for 2 weeks. The temperature here in north Georgia will fluctuate from a hi of 55 to a low of upper teens at times. I have my furnaces turned on to 45 degrees. Can I also leave the "Service bay heater" as discussed in this thread left "turned on" while I am gone? Is this safe?
Maddog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:17 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, it will be safe to leave your switch on for the Bay Heater while you are gone. Depending on the temperature, the Snap Disc will turn the Bay Heater on if needed.

When the temp goes up the Snap Disc will open which then turns the Bay Heater off.

Just make sure you don't lose shore power to keep you batteries fully charged.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-20-2014, 03:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Yes, it will be safe to leave your switch on for the Bay Heater while you are gone. Depending on the temperature, the Snap Disc will turn the Bay Heater on if needed.

When the temp goes up the Snap Disc will open which then turns the Bay Heater off.

Just make sure you don't lose shore power to keep you batteries fully charged.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks so much Richard!! Your contributions to this website is priceless.... especially to those of us who are relatively new to the motorcoach world!!
Maddog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #27

12 volt heater no longer available from Amazon

There may be other sources, but the heater is no longer in stock at Amazon and there is a notation that they do not know if it will be restocked. Possible the same product is available elsewhere.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club

Name:	image-2743282262.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	54277

I bought this on Amazon and it's still available. It's a little pricy but is built well and seems to more dependable that the one that was in my rig. It also has it's own thermostat.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote