Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cool System heat switch

hi all, i have a 2001 knight 36r and above the entrance door there is a switch next to the slide out switch that says "system heat"......what does this do and how is it powered?? thanks
ronlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
According to the brochure, there is a 12 v heater in your wet bay for cold weather, I wonder if the switch is to turn that on?

http://www.monacocoach.com/StaticFil...1/01Knight.pdf

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Switch operates 12 volt bay heater with a thermal snap disc located in the water service bay. My manual says a heat pad for the fresh water tank is included in this system.

My system has the switch on the wall near the bath along with a systems heat
Active Light which comes on to indicate when the disc thermostat closes to operate the bay heater and fan and the heat pad. The system heat switch should be turned on if you expect freezing temps and want the heater to run. There is a built in light in the system heat switch to let you know it has been turned on but is not an indication that the fan is operating.

My manual says the disc closes around 40 degrees (+ / - 6 degrees F). The heater consumes about 20 Amps when operating so you want to be hooked to shore power or generator when using.

I have used our system many times. Was an option on our motorhome when new. If you look in your plumbing bay most likely up behind the plastic panel you should be able to see the square heater box with enclosed fan. It does not move air very forcefully so it is kind of hard to tell if it is actually working when the fan is running, but in ours I have seen the temp get up to 54 degrees in the bay (I have a remote thermometer in the bay ).
Old 11-05-2013, 01:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The system heat switch turns on the heater in the water bay, as stated. It also turns on the water tank heaters, if equipped. When you turn on the switch the light inside the switch doesn't come on until the systems activates when the snap thermostat is activated when the temperature is cold enough. I had to use it on the Rockies and it works well.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:34 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
That heater only comes on when the temp drops below a set limit so turn it on before bed time on a cold night and it will do its thing. It runs off 12 volts.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #6

I have the system heat switch and a light next to it...how do you know its on if the switch doesnt light until the system activates? Should the switch light come on right away to let you know the system is on, and the light next to it light up when the system is actually heating? I ask cause my switch doesnt light up and I suspicion its not working...
speerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco did NOT wire the System Heat switch correctly in some coaches, mine included.

If you have the Cold Weather Package, you will have a Service Bay heater AND tank pad heaters for the fresh water, gray and black tanks, at least that's what I have with my Cold Weather Package.

Without the Cold Weather Package, when activating the System Heat switch, nothing will happen until the snap disk located in your service bay reaches the set point temperature. When that has been reached your switch and an adjacent RED indicator light will light up indicating that the heater in the service bay is now activated and running.

With the Cold Weather Package, when you activate the System Heat switch the tank pad heaters will come on immediately BUT the service bay heater will NOT until called for by the snap disk.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #8

On my Monaco, to test if the system heat switch works. I put an ice cube on the snap switch in the wet bay next to the heater. With the cold cube it soon shows the heater on and the on light shows. After the cube melted in a few minutes the light went out with the switch left in the on position. Hope this helps.
rebel
rebelcarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
On my 2002 Windsor, the "System Heat" switch puts power to the wet bay heater. There is a switch on the heater that reads "Fan Off Heater". If that switch is set to "Heater" then the fan will run continuously as long as the inside switch is on, but there is no heat until the thermal element on the wall of the wet bay turns on.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #10

Ahh ok..so I do have the tank pads (cold weather package) according to my owners manual. So DR4FILM: When you say "With the Cold Weather Package, when you activate the System Heat switch the tank pad heaters will come on immediately BUT the service bay heater will NOT until called for by the snap disk.", do I infer that to mean the switch will light up indicating system and pad heaters are on...and the light next to the switch will come on when the snap disk turns on the bay heater?
Old 11-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure. Monaco did whatever they felt like at the time with no uniform controls.

My switch and indicator light will ONLY light up when the Snap Disk has reached its set point. However, whenever the switch is turned on, the tank pad heaters are working.

I know at least one Windsor owner who had rewired the switch to light up whenever he turned it on regardless of what the snap disk was doing.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #12

Thanks Dr4Film....I might try that (wiring the switch to light up when the system is on) after I figure out if it even works...
Old 11-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
speerfamily

My System Heat switch lights up when on (like water pump switch and water heater switch(s) and the separate Active light comes on when the snap disc operates the heater fan (I can hear the fan from the bedroom when it runs).

Was not aware as someone stated that the heat pad(s) are on whenever system heat switch is on. My manual only states that a heat pad is under the fresh water tank.

Sounds like Monaco may have set up differing hookups on different models.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
On my coach the light next to the "System Heat" switch inside comes on any time the switch is on, regardless of whether or not the thermal disc is on.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote