Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2017, 11:17 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tag axle air bag pressure setting

Hello all,
Looking for some guidance on what PSI I should be running in the tag axle air bags. I have a Signature 42 foot and read the manual and saw how to set the pressure with the regulator pretty basic but not sure how you tell what to set it at.
Is there a rule of thumb for this setting depending on how much weight you have the coach loaded to?
Thanks for your time,
Dave
Davidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 06:08 AM   #2

I have a 42' Beaver Marquis and run 45 lbs. You can set the axle pressure and take the coach to a local truck stop with a CAT scale and get your axle weights and then you will know exactly what you should be running
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:12 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
As stated,
go get axle weights for $10 and 10 minutes at any Cat Scale ,
then set the rear pressure to 'balance' the coach,

will help your ride and handling !
Old 09-12-2017, 06:53 AM   #4

We did the scale "thing" on our '06 Dynasty, right after we purchased it. A friend with a twin went thru the process along with ours. There will be some possibly significant differences from one coach to the next.

At the scale, after 3 weighings, we found the following: At 42 psi, our tag was loaded to 6,320 pounds, total and our front axle was loaded to 13,960 pounds. At 47 psi, our tag was loaded to 7,060 pounds and our front to 14,100 pounds. At 52 psi, our tag was loaded to 7,980 pounds and our front to 14,280 pounds.

Our friend found the following: At 32 psi, his tag was loaded to 4,580 pounds and his front to 13,830 pounds. At 55 psi, his tag was loaded to 6,900 pounds and his front to 14,200 pounds. At 58 psi, his tag was loaded to 7,600 pounds and his front to 14,320 pounds.

BE VERY CAREFUL! It is my opinion that to maximize the value of the tag, we wanted to make it so that the load on each of the six tires at the rear of the coach were reasonably equal. That's nice, because tire pressures are the same, etc. Maintenance is easy. All six tires wind up very lightly loaded compared to their full load ratings, too. BUT, as you add load to your tag, you will also be adding load to your front axle!!! BE VERY CAREFUL NOT to overload your front axle!! And I would suggest you do your weighings with your fresh water tank and your fuel tank at normal full level, to ensure you don't overload your front axle when you do run with them full.

I think we are running our tag at 52 psi. We have a couple of hundred pounds over 4,000 on each of the drive axle tires and a little under 4,000 pounds on both tag tires. If you graph the Michelin air pressure vs loading numbers, that loading puts the recommended pressure in the 60+ psi range. But the published minimum air pressure on the tires is 80 psi. So we run all six rear tires at 80 psi, and we have a huge margin of safety on all six and the ride is fantastic. Tire wear is minimal. Life is easy! The front axle? We watch those like a hawk and keep them between 115 and 120 psi, in accordance with the recommended pressure for the load.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #5

I also have a 02 42' Signature. I'm running 45 PSI in mine. You need to take it to a scale & weigh it. That's the only way to know what air pressure you should be running in your tires.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:45 AM   #6

Now this is useful information! Thank you very much.

I weighed my coach when I got it and found the tag way underloaded but everything was in spec technically.
I have increased the tag pressure but ALWAYS have a toad something so have not been back to "play" with the tag pressure. I believe I am at 48 PSI currently up from 42.
I have been pondering exactly the physics of increasing tag pressure/weight carrying with overloading the front axle. Simple math shows with the two rear axles so close to one another should equate to the rear drive axle benefiting more from increasing the tag pressure than the front axle will suffer.
Absolutely no substitute for actual weights on a scale though. I tried again last week but the scales were down Also I can get a 4 corner weight there as well, takes about 45 minutes though. Given our coaches "can" be quite close to the limit on the steers, it is important to know that as well as the total per axle.

So it appears at least on your coach you can add roughly 740 lbs to the tag and only 140 on the fronts.

I think I was at something like 4770 on the tag and 14200 steer at 42 PSI. Pretty much fully loaded for a week of dry camping(water, fuel, propane, food...).

Thanks for the post!
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
We did the scale "thing" on our '06 Dynasty, right after we purchased it. A friend with a twin went thru the process along with ours. There will be some possibly significant differences from one coach to the next.

At the scale, after 3 weighings, we found the following: At 42 psi, our tag was loaded to 6,320 pounds, total and our front axle was loaded to 13,960 pounds. At 47 psi, our tag was loaded to 7,060 pounds and our front to 14,100 pounds. At 52 psi, our tag was loaded to 7,980 pounds and our front to 14,280 pounds.

Our friend found the following: At 32 psi, his tag was loaded to 4,580 pounds and his front to 13,830 pounds. At 55 psi, his tag was loaded to 6,900 pounds and his front to 14,200 pounds. At 58 psi, his tag was loaded to 7,600 pounds and his front to 14,320 pounds.

BE VERY CAREFUL! It is my opinion that to maximize the value of the tag, we wanted to make it so that the load on each of the six tires at the rear of the coach were reasonably equal. That's nice, because tire pressures are the same, etc. Maintenance is easy. All six tires wind up very lightly loaded compared to their full load ratings, too. BUT, as you add load to your tag, you will also be adding load to your front axle!!! BE VERY CAREFUL NOT to overload your front axle!! And I would suggest you do your weighings with your fresh water tank and your fuel tank at normal full level, to ensure you don't overload your front axle when you do run with them full.

I think we are running our tag at 52 psi. We have a couple of hundred pounds over 4,000 on each of the drive axle tires and a little under 4,000 pounds on both tag tires. If you graph the Michelin air pressure vs loading numbers, that loading puts the recommended pressure in the 60+ psi range. But the published minimum air pressure on the tires is 80 psi. So we run all six rear tires at 80 psi, and we have a huge margin of safety on all six and the ride is fantastic. Tire wear is minimal. Life is easy! The front axle? We watch those like a hawk and keep them between 115 and 120 psi, in accordance with the recommended pressure for the load.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
but, but, but

HIS weights and psi will not be the same as YOUR weights and psi, unless you have the same exact options and loading and etc...

It might be a good start, but just like tire psi, you can never be sure until you weigh it ! Until then, be safe !
Old 09-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
but, but, but

HIS weights and psi will not be the same as YOUR weights and psi, unless you have the same exact options and loading and etc...

It might be a good start, but just like tire psi, you can never be sure until you weigh it ! Until then, be safe !
Absolutely correct!

I just like the fact that real specifications, pre and post pressures and weights are posted instead of guesswork. Shows how things trend with the adjustments.

I'm going back to the scales this weekend, hope they have time for me.
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
True, seeing the impact of the change is worthwhile !

Dunno where you are,
but go find a cat scale - they are all over the country
https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/
Old 09-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If your flat towing your toad, the only weight your adding to the back of your coach, would be about half the weight of your tow bar. Basically nothing!
Old 09-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #11

Understood.
The problem has been ratios of axles per platforms. Having the steer, drive, tag and toad all on different panels has not worked out. The toad always winds up on the same panel as the tag or the tag on the same panel as the drive if toad on its own. It is just how the panels land on my WB unit. I try to hit them when I am solo but that is almost never and I guess I am lazy enough to not disconnect just to weigh in.
I will get it!
Thanks for the comment.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
If your flat towing your toad, the only weight your adding to the back of your coach, would be about half the weight of your tow bar. Basically nothing!
Old 09-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #12

I've weighed mine a few times on closed Interstate scales.
What I've done is stop coach with only tag tires plus toad on the scale. Write that down. Pull ahead so only toad is on scale. Subtract toad weight from combined weight, and you have your tag axle weight.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #13

I am a little confused as the regulator was set at 48 or so but when I hit the scales it was showing about 52PSI anyhow, reset to 55 drove a little and reweighed. My trailer is only about 2000 lbs total and hand written because the 4th platform was not working correctly. Somewhere between those 2 pressures is where I need to be as DW and doggies are not with me. Otherwise filled to the brim!
Windecker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170914_122505.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	176538
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #14

Did you raise and lower the tag a couple of times after adjusting the regulator?

Tags
air