Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tag Axle Air Pressure

I have an 08 HR imperial, 45'. I can't seem to find information on the tag Axle air pressure I should be running. I found the regulator in the rear engine bay with gauge. I know I still need to get the MH weighed before I make any adjustments, just need a starting place. Thanks to all who may take the time to reply!
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I weighed my 09 Dynasty and determined that 65 psi was a place to start, I have re weighed it and have left it at 65 psi
Carl
Magna #6225
42 Resort 505
Carl & Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have an Excel documnet where someone weighed a 2008 Camelot and varied the tag air and re-weighed. Did it about 10 times. Good to show the relation to the other axels. This forum will not allow an XLS attachment. If you want a copy, email me at John@FireLogs.com, and I'll send it to you.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
45 psi puts 5300# on my 42 footer. Too much will overload your front axle. It has to be driven at least several hundred yards after an adjustment before a re-weigh/adjustment to get an accurate setting.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #5

I run mine at 40 psi based on another person weighing an identical MH. I plan on weighing mine in the near future. You have to be real careful that if you increase that tax psi too much you can put too much weight on the steer axle and exceed the tire limits. I switched from 295/80R22.5 to 310/80R22.5 which jumped the load range up on the front tires. Went fron 16 steel belts to 20 steel belts in the tires.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mike,
What tires (brand) are you running on your Sig?
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #7

I have Michelin XZA2 Energy on the front in 310/80R22.5 and currently (this week) have the Goodyear G670 295/80R22.5 on all the back but getting ready to put the Michelin XZA2 295/80R22.5 on all the back also using the Monaco International Club Michelin discount. The XZA2 are really smooth riding tires. When they installed the front tires the left front required zero balance weight and the right front only needed two ozs.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The Firestone FS400 315's are very smooth too. I have about 5k miles on the fronts, very happy. I got them after Dick (Ivylog) put them on his last year. You see them on a lot of over the road buses.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the input. 38 special had a great spread sheet that shows how you can manipulate weights with tag. My question now is what target percentage of wt do you shoot for as far as total dist. frt to rear? 50/50 or more rear than front? Thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #10

The big thing is not to put so much weight on the front axle that you exceed the axle limit or the load range of the tires. Also the more air in the tax adjuster the more air needed in the tag and front tires. A lot depends on feel when you drive. At the Monaco recommended 28 psi I found the steering to be too light and I had to correct too much and it was tiring. At 40 psi the increased weight on the front tires made it track better and drive easier. The other thing I noticed on my TPMS was that the temps of the drive axle tires dropped a lot when I increased the tag pressure. It is just something you have to play with and decide what feels best for you when driving. It also takes several adjustments to get the tag adjuster right on and when close it takes very small corrections to bring it in.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Mike, I think I'm getting a better understanding of the tag chassis. Lots to digest and adjust!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I hate sounding so dumb, but I've never heard of changing the air pressure on the tag axle to change the weight on the front steer axle.

Is this thread about pounds of air in the tag axle airbag? Or, is it about tire pressure? I'm running 110 psi in all 8 of my tires.

Then again we have an American Eagle. You folks may be talking about something that is not on our coach.

Dave
Old 04-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't know about Am Eagle, but Monaco brands have the ability to change the load carrying capabilities of the tag axle through adjustment of the air bags that control the tag. I wasn't aware that it changed front axle loading. I love this forum for a wealth of information!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, think of a Kids teetor totter (not sure of spelling, sheeesh) ... one end up, one end down ... as you increase the air pressure at the tag you generally push more weight up front ... I know Tiffin has been installing different tag proportioning valves in coaches to move weight off the front axle 'cause they have some overweight issues ... I have no idea how to determine suitable air pressure however except for calling a Dealer Service Rep?
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote