Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tag Axle OOPS !

I don't normally use the tag axle lift, but I did the other day backing out of our storage area....

It didn't seem like it responded, so I forgot about it...
When I got home noticed the light ON and had driven about 10 miles on the interstate !!!

Dang - too many features on this thing - did I damage anything - what do I check?

drove fine home and back to storage ... so fingers crossed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #2

It should have a safety feature that lowers the tag once it shifts gears or reaches a certain speed, check your manual. I think your OK.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:13 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Somewhere around 10 - 15mph it should lower on it's own .
Old 07-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I don't normally use the tag axle lift, but I did the other day backing out of our storage area....

It didn't seem like it responded, so I forgot about it...
When I got home noticed the light ON and had driven about 10 miles on the interstate !!!

Dang - too many features on this thing - did I damage anything - what do I check?

drove fine home and back to storage ... so fingers crossed.

it will drop automatically at speed and raise again when you slow, forgot mine once too, pretty sure you did not hurt anything

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #5

You didn't have a audible warning such as ding, ding, ding?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
As soon as the transmission shifts into second gear the tag axle will lower. Once you slow and the transmission shifts back into first gear it will raise again if the switch is still in the engaged position.

You didn't drive that distance with your tag axle raised and you didn't harm anything. As already mentioned, there should have been an audible alarm indicating the axle switch was engaged.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the responses !!! but having been a software kind of guy for a very long time, I've proven over and over documentation can lead you astray when the code is changed

So I asked the forum - and of course, you verified

Downloaded the manual and this is what I find:

When the transmission is in second through sixth gear, the tag axle air bags are automatically inflated and the light is off.
Deflate the tag axle air bags when performing tight maneuvers less than 5 mph to reduce turn radius and help reduce the tag axle tires from scuffing.

So, the tags are spring loaded and pull up WITHOUT the bags pushing them down!
Thus, allowing lower air pressure to change the weight carried by the tags...

by george I think you have educated me a bit thanks !
This somewhat infers that maybe I should leave the tags lifted so slow turns are easier ????
Old 07-22-2015, 06:20 AM   #8

If you are making tight turns into or out of a parking spot then lift the tag. It is not required to lift them during normal driving or normal turning corners
Old 07-22-2015, 06:57 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Mike - didn't HEAR a dingy, ding, ding
but sure saw the light when I stopped and went
"OH, 'shucks' "

Gotcha,
just saying if they automatically take care of themselves by lowering and lifting, maybe that's the way to go ?

(know it will be extra wear and tear, but how much ?)

And now that I've read up on it, time to get the tag axle weight separately to adjust tag pressures since I just got front and rear axles last time:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MonacoWeight.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	340.2 KB
ID:	100812  
Old 07-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #10

The problem with lifting the tag while not making slow tight turns is the weight it puts on the drive axle tires. While parking that is momentary and you are going slow.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #11

John,

Your cat scale ticket shows you have the combined drive and tag axle weight.

This is normally the way it's done. You really have no need to do any adjustment for the weight you have, and the tag should be a little lighter than the drive as normally preset so to maintain proper traction.

Your plan to let the auto system work it's magic for you as you concentrate on the drive is good, as this is the same way lift axles are operated on commercial dump trucks when they have the auto lift feature. Wish I had the auto lift feature other than in reverse.

With 24k on your drive and tag, you need not worry about any overload and damage to your axles or air springs, as the single axle duals are rated and legal over the 23k you have on both. So you will probably not reach limit until you tow that heavy trailer.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
On another note, I want to be in control of when my tag axle raises and lowers so I operate mine manually Mike Canter suggested. When I first bought this coach I was in a campground and with the thinking that I was making a tight turn I should raise the tag axle. Although my thinking was sound, the surface I was driving on brought something else into the equation. It was a gravel road and the tag axle only lifts a couple of inches. Now combine that with a very slight deviation in the gravel road and as the coach undulated ever so slightly driving around the campground until pulling into my site, then applying the brakes slightly with no pressure on the tag axle tires they lock up with very little air pressure from the brake treadle and I had two deep rutts around the turn leading right to my campsite.

Upon thinking about this situation, on gravel there is enough give that they really don't need to be lifted but on concrete or asphalt making tight turns can add some extra stress that can be eleviated by raising the tag axle.

Just food for thought, I would only raise the axle when absolutley needed and wouldn't leave the switch in the raised position, but that is just me.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:13 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
On another note, I want to be in control of when my tag axle raises and lowers so I operate mine manually Mike Canter suggested. When I first bought this coach I was in a campground and with the thinking that I was making a tight turn I should raise the tag axle. Although my thinking was sound, the surface I was driving on brought something else into the equation. It was a gravel road and the tag axle only lifts a couple of inches. Now combine that with a very slight deviation in the gravel road and as the coach undulated ever so slightly driving around the campground until pulling into my site, then applying the brakes slightly with no pressure on the tag axle tires they lock up with very little air pressure from the brake treadle and I had two deep ruts around the turn leading right to my campsite.

Upon thinking about this situation, on gravel there is enough give that they really don't need to be lifted but on concrete or asphalt making tight turns can add some extra stress that can be elevated by raising the tag axle.

Just food for thought, I would only raise the axle when absolutely needed and wouldn't leave the switch in the raised position, but that is just me.

Mike.
Yep, I get the "ruts" also and sometimes my ABS warning light gets activated.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Good points - thanks for the insight !