Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Taking the 32" TV Out in Bedroom

Hello, All,
My 32" flat screen LCD TV in the bedroom is not working. I want to take it out and replace it with an LED. So, I need some advice:
1. How do you take this out of the cabinet?
2. The TV cabinet is 30 3/4" wide and 20" high. None of today's 32" TV will fit exactly. The closest I have found: 1 1/2" too short on width, and nearly 3" too short on the height. Any suggestions on how to overcome this challenge?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Regards to all,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	182903  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4508.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	182905

I took out the old sony TV (surprisingly how heavy it was) and replaced with a new LED flat screen. We wanted another sat cable box there so I Built a false back wall to mount new TV onto it and set the cable box under it. TV will pull out if I ever wanted to, but I only need to pull it out if I need access to back. Fairly involved because of the tight fit with the TV. It's actually a 32" tv in a 30" opening. (I tease the grandkids about that)

The old Sony TV had a piece of plywood attached to the bottom of it. I pulled out the drawer under it and they had screwed up from under neath into the plywood that was attached to the tv. Easy to get out once you figured it out.

From your picture, maybe see if you can get that panel opened up under the TV. I'll bet there are screws inside there.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Attachment 182905

I took out the old sony TV (surprisingly how heavy it was) and replaced with a new LED flat screen. We wanted another sat cable box there so I Built a false back wall to mount new TV onto it and set the cable box under it. TV will pull out if I ever wanted to, but I only need to pull it out if I need access to back. Fairly involved because of the tight fit with the TV. It's actually a 32" tv in a 30" opening. (I tease the grandkids about that)

The old Sony TV had a piece of plywood attached to the bottom of it. I pulled out the drawer under it and they had screwed up from under neath into the plywood that was attached to the tv. Easy to get out once you figured it out.

From your picture, maybe see if you can get that panel opened up under the TV. I'll bet there are screws inside there.
Thank you very much, Bill. That is very helpful!
I have it parked inside and do not have much room to put the bedroom slide out to see right now, but I'll get it out of the garage and look at it.
Perhaps someone may chime in as to how to best fit a 32" LED TV in the cabinet!

Regards,
Old 11-14-2017, 03:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I can't tell by your picture if the wood frame around the TV is actually narrower than the inside dimensions of the tv cabinet box. But you should be able to unscrew the face frame and remove it after the tv is out. That inside dimension of the box is what you have to work with. Go look at different tv's with tape measure and see what fits. Then you can modify the wood frame to fit around the new tv. If you're not up to the cabinetry portion, I'm sure there is a cabinet guy near you that can either modify your existing or make a new frame.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Thank you very much, Bill. That is very helpful!
I have it parked inside and do not have much room to put the bedroom slide out to see right now, but I'll get it out of the garage and look at it.
Perhaps someone may chime in as to how to best fit a 32" LED TV in the cabinet!

Regards,
about getting a 32" tv in a 30" cabinet. Keep in mind a TV is measured diagonally. So the 'real width' of a 32" TV is something less, say 28" or 29". They vary depending on manufacture. Height of these things is not consistent either. Some have speakers built in the bottom, some don't. That's why taking the tape measure with you to shop is important.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #6

Taking the 32" TV Out in Bedroom

Is the panel on the cabinet next to the TV removable? The one on my Dynasty is, allows access to the rear.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #7

I had to remove the face frame on the old cabinet and adjust the face frame size for the LED to fit the cabinet. I secured the new TV to a sheet of Aluminum, which in turn was mounted to the original bracket. This TV was mounted in the front of the coach.

A second LED was installed in the bedroom. More details are in my irv2 blog. Being creative with a mechanical background helped.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #8

I removed mine last year. I installed the 32" with TV bracket I bought on amazon that locks when folded in. We can pull it out and swivel it around to be able to see it in different locations. I also have access behind the tv for storage and it is a good size area.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:30 PM   #9
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
Is the panel on the cabinet next to the TV removable? The one on my Dynasty is, allows access to the rear.
Thanks! That is great. I got the panel out and now I should be able to get to the four screws that hold the TV to a piece of plywood.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:38 PM   #10
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I had to remove the face frame on the old cabinet and adjust the face frame size for the LED to fit the cabinet. I secured the new TV to a sheet of Aluminum, which in turn was mounted to the original bracket. This TV was mounted in the front of the coach.

A second LED was installed in the bedroom. More details are in my irv2 blog. Being creative with a mechanical background helped.
Mine does not have a face frame. I can make one but that may not look as nice.
The other alternative is I found a TV that is the same height as the cabinet but longer that would cover both vertical frames. I would obviously need to put the TV on the outside of the cabinet.
The third option would be to get a TV (32") that would center in the cabinet, but would have spaces all around. Don't know what would look better.
Thanks for your input!
Old 11-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Mine does not have a face frame. I can make one but that may not look as nice.
The other alternative is I found a TV that is the same height as the cabinet but longer that would cover both vertical frames. I would obviously need to put the TV on the outside of the cabinet.
The third option would be to get a TV (32") that would center in the cabinet, but would have spaces all around. Don't know what would look better.
Thanks for your input!
You may have another option. That looks like a separate cabinet that you may be able to remove entirely and mount the TV much closer to the wall.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:14 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I replaced my BR TV with a Samsung LED set. The new set was so light, I just mounted it by screwing the base to the cabinet floor and discarded the existing trim piece that didn't match the TV. I did a second brace to keep the TV steady and not vibrating as we drove--from the back of the TV up and to the front top cabinet lip. Made that one black so it is not really visible. There is enough room in the space for a small box or two as well if needed.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #13
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
You may have another option. That looks like a separate cabinet that you may be able to remove entirely and mount the TV much closer to the wall.
I looked at that, but the bottom part of the cabinet has a lot wiring like three 110 V AC outlets, the satellite cables from the roof come in here as well. To work around all this would require work beyond my pay grade - a good thought though! Thanks,
Old 11-14-2017, 08:17 PM   #14
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
I replaced my BR TV with a Samsung LED set. The new set was so light, I just mounted it by screwing the base to the cabinet floor and discarded the existing trim piece that didn't match the TV. I did a second brace to keep the TV steady and not vibrating as we drove--from the back of the TV up and to the front top cabinet lip. Made that one black so it is not really visible. There is enough room in the space for a small box or two as well if needed.
Good ideas! I'm looking at some TV's with base. Thanks for chiming!