Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2014, 06:16 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tank gauge probes

I'm interested in replacing the stock tank probes with Horst elongated probes to correct inaccurate tank level readings. How do I access the existing probes? Where are they located?
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #2

Stan, I have a 2001 Diplomat and I installed the Horst probes in all my fresh, gray, & black tanks. I am not sure what you mean elongated probes though. All of my probes were located behind the white utility bay panel. The factory probes were spun into the tanks and are not removable. I drilled new holes at the same elevation as the existing probes except about 2 inches away. I did not replace the top probe on the fresh water tank because I could not access it. I used the black tank probes in both the black & gray water tanks. Taking out the white panel was the hardest part of the job on my coach. I had to cut the lines at the water switch valve because Monaco used the copper compressed rings on the water lines. When I put it back together I used regular compression fittings and it worked great. These probes solved all of my level problems with these tanks. I have pictures somewhere if I can find them I could send you off line. George 2001 Diplomat
Old 05-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Stan:
I added the Horst probes to my 08 Camelot a couple of weeks ago.Like George, the hardest part of the job was removing the dreaded white panel.
I removed everything from the panel and it was somewhat loose in the bay.There is about a 5” return at the top of the panel to give it some rigidity.I cut that return at the inside 90 deg. bend where it met the main vertical part of the panel.That allowed me to bend the panel enough to remove it from the bay.New 3/8” holes next to the existing probes and installation of the new Horst probes was next.It took a little negotiation to get the rubber gaskets to seat into the 3/8” holes cleanly, but was not a big deal.Holding the black tank probes meant holding the stud by double nutting the stud while I tightened the primary nut so the “hood” was up.I bent the panel to reinstall it, then cut a 2” X 2” aluminum angle and secured it to the top of the white panel to regain the rigidity I lost when I removed the 5” return.I haven’t been out to try the probes yet, but will do so over Memorial Day weekend.
The job took me about three hours with one of those hours sitting on my butt figuring out the best way to remove than white panel without cutting it in half.
Good Luck,
Mike
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 Cavalcade View Post
Taking out the white panel was the hardest part of the job on my coach. I had to cut the lines at the water switch valve because Monaco used the copper compressed rings on the water lines...
While at this year's FMCA rally in Perry, GA, I had the SeeLevel II system installed. In order to install the tank sensors, the installer cut a rectangular 6x8" hole in that white panel in my water bay. After he completed his work, he installed a frame around the hole containing a removable access panel. Now I have an access panel in my water bay to work through without removing the entire utility bay panel.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I installed the Horst black water probes on my black and gray tanks a year ago. I did not change the probes in the fresh water tank because this tank has never read incorrectly. It is true that removing the white panel was the hardest part of the job but all of the connections on our 2005 Endeavor were easy to separate. I did have to remove one gas filled hatch support to get the panel out.
I will say that after a year of use including two long trips I have had no more problems with the level system reading incorrectly. This is a modification well worth the effort.
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Many thanks to all for your clear and supportive comments and directions. I'll have to examine my white panel more closely to see how difficult a job I may be facing. You would think Monaco would have provided reasonable access anticipating the need for service down the road. Go figure......! I like the idea of an access panel modification for future use. Kudos to that tech!

Thanks again!
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
While at this year's FMCA rally in Perry, GA, I had the SeeLevel II system installed. In order to install the tank sensors, the installer cut a rectangular 6x8" hole in that white panel in my water bay. After he completed his work, he installed a frame around the hole containing a removable access panel. Now I have an access panel in my water bay to work through without removing the entire utility bay panel.
We installed the SeeLevel system a few years back and are extremely happy with it. We did two monitors with one in the service bay and one inside the coach. The SeeLevel can use the existing wires from the old system.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank