Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tank Sensors - 2005 Signature

Hello All, I recently installed deck plates on the black and gray tanks of a 2005 Monaco signature. After installation, I cleaned each tank and reset the tank calibration on the tanks to zero. I was initially told by the owner that the tanks never read correctly since he purchased the unit, after recalibration of the tanks I started to fill them to check out each sensor reading. Even when the tanks were completely filled they each read zero. I contacted Monaco to confirm the recalibration procedure for the Aladdin system. They said that they have had problems with the sensors going bad and directed me to swap the fresh water leads with one from either the black or gray. I can see the lines going into the middle of the coach but cannot see where the black and gray sensors are located on the tanks. Can anyone tell me where they are located on each tank, and also have anyone owning a signature had this problem? What is the cost of a new sensor? I appreciate your assistance.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #2

Hey Dave,

On my '03 Sig, the sensors are on the drivers side behind a panel in the water bay. It required much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth to replace my black tank sensor. The sensor is a round plastic threaded plug. I think they can be black or gray. I seem to remember they are in the $40/ea range. If all of yours show zero all the time, I would be suspicious of the calibration procedure or the connections to the VCM processor.

Where did you install the deck plates? Where did you get them & what size did you use?
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #3

Hi Chief Dave, on my 2004 Signature they are in the same place as where Steve said. If both the gray and the black tanks read zero when full then you are wasting your time in swapping the leads. I had to replace my black tank sensor a year ago and it went bad again but I unscrewed it and carefully washed it out and it works again. You cannot push anything down into the sensor because there is a real fragile membrane that moves up and down from the pressure in the tank. It could be that all that @#$#@ has dropped into them and harded up. I would first try taking them out and soaking them in a water Simple Green solution for a couple of days then put the garden hose on them at low pressure and see if you can clean them out. I damaged the first sensor cleaning it a year ago because I didn't know what was under the crud so I picked at it and broke the membrane. As Steve said they are right at $40 each.

The wire that goes into the sensor is a the same type of plug that goes on a regular table top land line phone and you have to push the little tab to release it. Hopefully they are not screwed in super tight. When I put mine back in I used teflon paste on the threads and put them in hand tight so I can get them out.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
CATCON Products | RV Products Here is what you are looking for. Usually installed on bottom of tanks, driver side. Although my fresh water sensor is on the passenger side. They have a rubber protective boot with a telephone cable connector into the sensor. I bought several last year direct from Catcon. They got stiffed by the debacle, but seem to understand our need. Use teflon tape when reinstalling and do not overtighten. The full Aladdin manual is available if you search the forum.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #5

Sooner or later you guys are going to want one of these . . .

SeeLeveL Gauges by Garnet Instruments Ltd. - Model 709RP
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #6

Several years ago I bought sensors at $25 each

http://www.bestconverter.com/

Problem is that Monaco installed the sensors on the bottom of the tank and eventually debris causes a bridge and the fluid hydrostatic pressure is not sensed. Would have been much better if sensor location was on the bottom of the tank side wall.

Interesting to hear that others have been successful in cleaning the sensor.
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
Sooner or later you guys are going to want one of these . . .

SeeLeveL Gauges by Garnet Instruments Ltd. - Model 709RP
I agree. Had installed by Texas Custom Coaches (Pipe Creek, TX) last year. Much better than the "1/3, 2/3, full" indicators.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefdave View Post
Hello All, I recently installed deck plates on the black and gray tanks of a 2005 Monaco signature. After installation, I cleaned each tank and reset the tank calibration on the tanks to zero. I was initially told by the owner that the tanks never read correctly since he purchased the unit, after recalibration of the tanks I started to fill them to check out each sensor reading. Even when the tanks were completely filled they each read zero. I contacted Monaco to confirm the recalibration procedure for the Aladdin system. They said that they have had problems with the sensors going bad and directed me to swap the fresh water leads with one from either the black or gray. I can see the lines going into the middle of the coach but cannot see where the black and gray sensors are located on the tanks. Can anyone tell me where they are located on each tank, and also have anyone owning a signature had this problem? What is the cost of a new sensor? I appreciate your assistance.
Ok I'll bite!!! What is a deck plate? Don't laugh Mike !!!!
boaterok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Installed deck plate.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #10

I fail to see what is a "deck plate" in that picture, can you point it out for us? Maybe my 26 years in the Navy is confusing me. A real deck plate is a section of the decking (floor for you landlubbers) that can be easily removed for access to below such as the bilges.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:48 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I hope you were kidding when you wrote your post as I am one of those "landlubbers" and had no difficulty noticing the RV "deck Plate" immediately. It's the BIG white thing that normally would be mounted to the deck (RV floor for those non-land lubbers) of the service bay to run your dump hose through to access the dump drain.

In this application, you now have access to the tank for cleaning.

Not sure I would go through all of that trouble just to clean my tanks but I guess with the way some tanks are built and mounted it might be needed. When I dump my tanks, they are really dumped and empty. I use my back flush every time with very little extra coming out.

it would appear from the photo that the one tank has a back flush line going to it but I don't understand why it is RED and not BLUE. Did they hook up the hot water line to the back flush line?

Regarding tank level indicators, my OEM ones still work great but wanted another panel at the service bay so I could check tanks levels, specifically the Fresh Water one to see when it is full. I bought the SeeLevel system and added that to the tanks and service bay. Very accurate and reliable.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:53 AM   #12

OK, landlubber (). That would be a watertight access hatch and not a deck plate. Actually would classify it more a a zebra fitting. Jeez that brings back bad memories of the aircraft carrier.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #13

Deck plate

GGGGGGGGG's after seeing the white access lid I get it but I too don't think I will be doing that anytime soon. And I knew my friend Mike would have an interesting comment also. Thanks guys !!!!!! Roger
boaterok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Call it what you want, but if you want one you most likely will have to explain it as a Deck Plate. Maybe when the Navy needs to buy one with tax payers dollars they have to change the name to justify the buy. Google It.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote