Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #1

Texas Class B Exempt CDL (RV)

Wish to add an update on my experience.

And in case anyone is not aware of Texas Class-B requirement for RV over 26,000 pounds GVWR.

Class B driving test at Waco (Texas) CDL Hub, very professional and the examiner lady made the entire event non stressful.

Easy access into the facility, backing 60 feet, no parallel parking, all driving mostly in an industrial area, right & left turns, two rail road crossings and merging onto four lane Hwy-84.

Requested to demonstrate Air Brake Leak Test, Low Air Warning and Park Brake pop out. Be sure to use exaggerated head turns so the examiner knows you are using the mirrors.

Enjoy reading the Forum, thanks to all who post.

Regards.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks. Very helpful and timely. I’m scheduled in Waco next month.
crockdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #3

Congrats on the new license. I took my Class A test earlier this month and it too was pretty simple. Just waiting now for my "official" license.
Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crockdar View Post
Thanks. Very helpful and timely. I’m scheduled in Waco next month.
That's where I took my test, they have their act together there.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Air brake test is NOT required for motorhomes ....

My examiner was going to fail me before we even got started and
we had "a discussion" !

Asked him to ask his supervisor and she basically scolded him in front of everyone that an air brake test is NOT required for non commercial cdl

I still passed even though he wrote me up for weaving around low hanging trees I had to go around to protect my paint and we had another discussion with his super that a 13+ foot high 44+ ft long coach should NOT have to go under 10' tall tree openings
Old 02-23-2019, 03:43 AM   #6

We took our driving test in Waco just over a year ago and our experience was very similar to yours.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:03 AM   #7

So what did you guys study for the written portion of the test?
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
So what did you guys study for the written portion of the test?
Chapter 14 of the CDL handbook.

http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/forms/dl-7c.pdf
Old 02-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Air brake test is NOT required for motorhomes ....

My examiner was going to fail me before we even got started and
we had "a discussion" !

Asked him to ask his supervisor and she basically scolded him in front of everyone that an air brake test is NOT required for non commercial cdl

I still passed even though he wrote me up for weaving around low hanging trees I had to go around to protect my paint and we had another discussion with his super that a 13+ foot high 44+ ft long coach should NOT have to go under 10' tall tree openings
You don't have to pass the air brake test, but the coach does. The examiner talked me through it.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:30 AM   #10

Barmcd, exactly, the Brake Test is for the safety of the examiner and not an official requirement, but they will not go without passing the test.

In fact the electric switch at the bottom of my Park Brake decided to leak air on my first try and would not pass the leak test, so no check ride, replaced the Valve & Switch and had to go back a second time to take the test. Had never leaked before that day--go figure.

Yes, study Chapter 14 of the Tx CDL Manual, you will know more about tractors and pole trailers when finished, nothing relating to RVs.

If you run over a curb, it is an automatic failure, slow at railroad crossings, be sure to look both ways, lots of exaggerated head turning so the examiner knows you are looking and using your mirrors.

Good luck to all.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:33 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
You don't have to pass the air brake test, but the coach does. The examiner talked me through it.

Just passing along what my experience was here in Fort Worth... we didn't do the brake test... but maybe because it's obvious it worked or he was flustered by the 'correction'
Old 02-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I'll pass along a funny story. I did the road test in July, my examiner told me they fought to do the road test in motor homes because they all had air conditioners. There was a ratty looking box truck and a worn out semi-trailer rig in the parking lot that people rented to do the test. Neither was air conditioned and all the examiners had to ride in them several times a day as people rented them to do their tests.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:06 AM   #13

I am in process of getting my TX class B and was wondering if you drove yourself to the driving test or did you recruit a licensed driver?
Cairnsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairnsrock View Post
I am in process of getting my TX class B and was wondering if you drove yourself to the driving test or did you recruit a licensed driver?

Just drive yourself there, no one will ask how you got there (I"m not a lawyer, just my opinion). In fact no has ever asked to verify my CDL in 6+ years of hauling my heavy fifth wheel all over the US. Has anyone ever been checked for a CDL to operate a RV, especially outside of Texas? Even in a roadside stop, would an out of state LEO bother to research the Texas RV DL requirements or even care since it would be a TX issue?
I am a TX resident w/full time status, but I don't physically live or stay in TX.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class b, texas