Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Last month, my MH got into an argument with a boulder and my MH lost. I was leaving a campground in Glenwood Springs, CO, and was paying more attention to some mud puddles in front of me instead of the giant rock on the right side.

The boulder: moved about 4". Minor paint and metal debris embedded.

The Knight: compartment door aft of water heater compartment - bowed in severely, aluminum skin gouged deeply. Rear wheel - no damage. Fiberglass fender skirt - scratched in lower couple of inches of fender. Battery compartment door - scratched lightly at the bottom.

You would have thought someone had kidnapped one of my kids. That kind of mistake hurts in many places.

After the initial horror wore off (couple of weeks), the one compartment door was not only an ugly reminder, but also an embarrassment. I drilled out the rivets and removed the door from its hinge. I laid a couple of towels down and put the door face down on the ground. I proceeded to straighten the door with my 260 pound bulk and a pair of slip on Vans shoes. It turned out much better than I expected, although the deep scratches are still buggin pretty hard.

I am considering getting Monaco to make me a new door, then find a paint shop that can sand out the fiberglass fender and paint the new door to match the wounded door. I will be in the Wildwood area in a month or so, should I just have them do it? Will I be able to find a paint shop competent enough to fix fiberglass and match the paint on the aluminum door? I am looking to handle this myself, without insurance.

The Damage:

The Mend:

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Last month, my MH got into an argument with a boulder and my MH lost. I was leaving a campground in Glenwood Springs, CO, and was paying more attention to some mud puddles in front of me instead of the giant rock on the right side.

The boulder: moved about 4". Minor paint and metal debris embedded.

The Knight: compartment door aft of water heater compartment - bowed in severely, aluminum skin gouged deeply. Rear wheel - no damage. Fiberglass fender skirt - scratched in lower couple of inches of fender. Battery compartment door - scratched lightly at the bottom.

You would have thought someone had kidnapped one of my kids. That kind of mistake hurts in many places.

After the initial horror wore off (couple of weeks), the one compartment door was not only an ugly reminder, but also an embarrassment. I drilled out the rivets and removed the door from its hinge. I laid a couple of towels down and put the door face down on the ground. I proceeded to straighten the door with my 260 pound bulk and a pair of slip on Vans shoes. It turned out much better than I expected, although the deep scratches are still buggin pretty hard.

I am considering getting Monaco to make me a new door, then find a paint shop that can sand out the fiberglass fender and paint the new door to match the wounded door. I will be in the Wildwood area in a month or so, should I just have them do it? Will I be able to find a paint shop competent enough to fix fiberglass and match the paint on the aluminum door? I am looking to handle this myself, without insurance.

The Damage:

The Mend:

Old 10-21-2008, 01:11 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Kev,

If you are thinking about Wildwood you need to call now. When Monaco cancelled the eastern rally this summer I called Wildwood to make an appointment. Thought I would go down there since I already had a week off planned. Even calling that early I could not get an appointment until January.

You might also check with Lazydays as they have a full body and paint service.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:47 AM   #4

dignbubbs, i feel your pain. had a similar encounter with a small palm tree a few yrs ago. by the way you did a great job of getting it almost strait. good luck! jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:20 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If your near Knoxville Tn. You have a great Body Shop right there. Buddy Gregg has an outstanding shop. I had work done there and was better then new.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:55 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
It happens. I "almost" took out my rear fender lip on my last trip. A pole at a gas station came about 1/8" from hitting. I looked in mirror just in time and hit brakes. It took me about 1/2 hr to pull away safely with someone watching real close to make sure I didn't hit it. I got so lucky. I was watching the rear camera instead of side mirrors because I was towing a 19' boat.

2008 Monaco Cayman 38PBD
Up N Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:26 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
dignbubbs -- I know the feeling -- Took out the curb side rear door by not watching the tail swing -- Had my dealer order the door,& the door cost about $700.00 plus $200.00 shipping from OR to AZ -- It took about 6 weeks for them to make the door -- Since it was a rear door with side hinges, I replaced the door myself & had a mobil paint co. do the fiberglass repair & paint -- Can`t tell that it was ever damaged -- Over all cost was about $2000.00 -- I, like you paid for this myself -- Education does not come cheap -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:07 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I also had an "argument" with a post at the edge of a shrub and lost. Since the door frame was bent similar to yours the body shop said it would be best to replace door. With crating, shipping and tax the cost was about $575 (Door was $481)for a 32" door. I used a local body shop and they did a great job matching the graphics and blending in with adjacent doors. I'd bet Wildwood would be more expensive and slower than a local shop.

Good luck, most of us have been there and done that and have the T shirt.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all of the comments/suggestions/commiseration! Once we land in Florida, I will look in to some of the options mentioned here. Since I will be close (enough) to Wildwood, I may look into ordering it and just having it sent there. It may save me some of that big shipping cost if they can "throw it on" with other things. Then I can find someone to give it a shot of paint.

How did you guys go about ordering the replacement door? Looks like WW ordered it through the dealer. Seems they may add on a little mark-up to the price. Anyone know if I can order through Monaco Parts or similar avenue?

Thanks again for the suggestions - and misery DOES love company

--kev

Old 10-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
dignbubbs -- Monaco parts had a much higher price -- This was "suppose" to have been at dealer cost -- Your back door is like mine(07, 42ft. Camelot)It has a slant & the hinge & door handle came with it, but I didn`t need them -- The shipping was so high, because Monaco really,really crated the door, & that made it to heavy to ship UPS, so it was shipped on a reagular freight co. -- Monaco acts like these doors are unique to your coach, & has to be special made, but we all know better than that, just a way to stick it to us -- While at the Monaco Rally in Salem,there was a seminar on service, & the high price of parts was brought up -- A lot of excuses from the dept.heads, but it all boils down to, "where else you gonna get`em" -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by William Willard:
dignbubbs -- Monaco parts had a much higher price -- This was "suppose" to have been at dealer cost -- Your back door is like mine(07, 42ft. Camelot)It has a slant & the hinge & door handle came with it, but I didn`t need them -- The shipping was so high, because Monaco really,really crated the door, & that made it to heavy to ship UPS, so it was shipped on a reagular freight co. -- Monaco acts like these doors are unique to your coach, & has to be special made, but we all know better than that, just a way to stick it to us -- While at the Monaco Rally in Salem,there was a seminar on service, & the high price of parts was brought up -- A lot of excuses from the dept.heads, but it all boils down to, "where else you gonna get`em" -- Bill Willard </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Julie Groeker in Monaco parts said they jobbed this out to a sub. She mentioned the name in the email exchange and I'll look through my emails to find the name.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #12
rex

Monaco Owners Club
While at Wildwood last year, I watched them remake a door damaged like yours. They have a complete metal shop, can do anything to fiberglass you may need, and a paint shop that can match any of your colors. When finished it will look like new. Call them NOW and get an appointment. If you don't call now, you will not have a chance of getting an appointment when you get to Florida. They most likely will remake the door rather than ordering a new one.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote