Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Thetford Aria II

his last trip has convinced me that I need to get rid of the Thetford Aria II. For the last 3-4 yrs it's been failing to seal up and hold water and sometimes forgetting which cycle it's on. Stays open occasionally until you cycle it a few times. Then it'll go for days with no problem. Now it is grinding and screeching as it opens and closes and has jammed several times requiring manual assistance to operate.
I love that it's a high profile large bowl china toilet and that it flushes very thoroughly, but fixing it is going to cost well over $200 according to the parts guys. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I'd rather investigate another similar toilet that doesn't have the motor driven flushing assy.
Does anyone have experience with other types that have a china bowl are hi-profile and adult sized? I havn't dismounted it yet but I'm going to do that in the next couple of days to get a handle on what needs to be done.
Ron
04 HR Imperial
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've never been a fan of Thetford toilets, and especially not of the electric ones. I'm six foot one. Our toilet is a Sealand Traveller, and I highly recommend it. China bowl, manual flush. Works as good as any stick house toilet.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Ron the noise may be caused by some loose screws. There is a know on the back down low and a plate mounted to the back of the toilet. There are several screws around the plate, 8 or 10 but don't remember for sure.

If these get loose the thing will grind and make lots of noise. Use a stubby Phillips and tighten them up. You can reach behind the toilet on the right side as you face it. Use a mirror to look behind there and you should see the screws and plate in front of the knob.

Several screws had fallen out of mine and were laying on the floor. I tighten them all up and that was 5 years ago and they have not loosened again.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
JimKate,
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it!!

Rex,
I'll go out and look at it tomorrow. The thing is too close to the wall to see clearly butg I'll give it a try.
Ron
Old 09-26-2011, 05:25 AM   #5

Ron, I thought about replacing mine also but was told the existing mounting holes were not the same as most other toilets. I was told this by the dealer that sells various makes of toilets and have no idea if it is true. I took mine out once to replace the seals and within about 3 months the motor went bad on the mechanism. I purchased a new mechanism and it has worked with no problems since then. I carry a spare controller in case it fails also. George R. 2001 Diplomat PBD
Old 09-26-2011, 05:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ron; I had all the problems you discribe and a few folks said it is only good for a boat anchor but I liked my Aria II! Called Thetford and the fellow their said to just replace the seal that the seal being bad, dry etc, causes the slide to drag which gets it out of time etc. I found a new seal kit, replaced it and now all is sweet with my aria II...

EZ job to replace if you are handy just follow the instructions on the package.

You will be a happy camper again..
Sticks4748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ron,

I had a Thetford Aria II toilet for a number of years before I finally deem it the biggest POS and Boat Anchor I have ever owned.

Removed it, sold it for $300, best deal I have ever made, and bought a Dometic Sealand Magnum Opus all china electric toilet. That was by far the best modification and improvement I have made to the coach. It has a programmable water level depending on where I am located.

Currently, I am at my brother's place next to his barn and only have electric shore power. I run long hoses across the road to fill my water tank once every 5-6 days, dump the gray water into the field and I have set the toilet on the lowest water level usage, so the 40 gallon black tank will only need to be pumped out once every two weeks or so.

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had to replace all the control and seals. cost over $400. The original control board has phone like cable with jacks on ends. Due to dampness contacts failed,[new control is sealed a lot better to avoid this problem]this caused toilet to fill and flush with no way to stop it, other than to unplug at rear of bowl. Removed unit to rebuild it, 2 hour job. No problems since.Not sure if other bowls fit same opening in floor. Was best way $$$$ at the time to repair what I had. So far, so good. Nice unit when working.
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Dismounted and disassembled the Aria this a/m. The only thing I could find was copious hard water deposits. After cleaning it all up lubing and reinstalling it now works great again. Quiet as a mouse. I'll need a new floor gasket but that's all that was messed up enough to have to replace.
The only thing that might have caused the grinding and chattering was the clutch on the blade drive shaft. It's there to keep from destroying the gear train in case of a jammed blade I guess. Took it apart to clean it out too and almost didn't get it back on, the "E" ring is a real bear to do while holding the spring down. Guess I'll be waiting on the new tiody thing. Still love the Aria just hate when it messes up.
Ron
Old 09-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ron; Good going!!
Next time try to find a new seal. Dr Film is a good guy but a little down on Aria II's/ I Boondocked with our and two (2) of us could go over 2 thats two weeks before dumping the black!! Cannot do that with a boat anchor...
Sticks4748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:47 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherpilot View Post

Dismounted and disassembled the Aria this a/m. The only thing I could find was copious hard water deposits. After cleaning it all up lubing and reinstalling it now works great again. Quiet as a mouse. I'll need a new floor gasket but that's all that was messed up enough to have to replace.

Ron
Good show, Ron !!

I have read where hard water deposits do cause a lot of problems but in my case, I have always used a water softener so with the Aria II I owned, it was a POS right from the time I first bought the coach from the original owners. Before that, they had to replace it 2-3 times in the 18 months they owned it as it flooded the floor numerous times. That was a control board issue.

I had replaced the motor and seal combination three different times during the 7 years I had owned the Aria II. Plus it was never quiet when used during the night. It always sounded like a thrashing machine.

The Magnum Opus is almost silent, uses a rotating ball valve that opens and closes instantly and when set on low water usage, only uses a cup or two of water. Great for times when you are not hooked up to the Pooper Scooper.

Overall, on a scale of 1-5 stars, it gets a minus 1 from me.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good to hear that you got the toilet fixed up and working well.

Personally I do not understand the reasoning for an electric toilet. I can't see how an electric toilet is going to be as trouble free, nor as water efficient as a good mechanical flush toilet.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:33 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post

Personally I do not understand the reasoning for an electric toilet. I can't see how an electric toilet is going to be as trouble free, nor as water efficient as a good mechanical flush toilet.
Jim,

You will never know until you try an electric one.

If you want to throw money down a toilet and use lots of water try, the Thetford Aria II.

If you want one of the best used in both the marine and RV industry, try the Sealand Concerto or better yet, the Magnum Opus which allows you to choose how much water to use.

Both the Concerto and the Magnum Opus have a trip handle just like most S&B toilets, except they have a dual function, up to add additional water, down to flush. All china, and they look and feel like a REAL toilet.

We all have opinions, likes and dislikes, it just depends on what works and what doesn't.

Dr4Film ----- Richard