RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #1

Thetford Aria Question

My coach has a Thetford Aria Deluxe II electric toilet. The slide mechanism is slowly getting more labored during the flush cycle, sounding like it would with a low battery. We are plugged in, however, so that is not the problem. It is not serious at this point, but if it is caused by something going bad or getting weak, now is the time to do something about it.

Do the slides require lubrication occasionally? And if so, how best to do it?

StuartT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
yes to lube...spark plug boot release,or dielectric grease, NAPA. Vaseline in a pinch...top of blade and all around the seal. Frequently will save the motor.

Use the hold open feature or fast fingers.

Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #3

Good morning StuartT; Hi fellow Washington resident. There has been a lot posted here about the Thetford Aria Deluxe II. I have one in my 01 Windsor. I have the blade mechanism replacement in the coach as I thought the same as you as sometimes the blade and motor seem sluggish and slow. I don't know if you are a full timer or not. If not, try this as it has worked for me. When the coach is not in use I use Thetford seal lube in the bowel. You can get it a Camping World in Fife. I buy it when on sale. Also try lubing the jack screw under the blade with some white lithium grease. Push the flush and fill buttons on the toilet twice at the same time to get the blade to stay open. Instructions are in the owners manual. Put a small amount of the grease on your finger and go under the blade and you can distribute the grease on the jack screw. The above has made mine perform better. Have not had to replace the blade mechanism yet. If you search in the top of the page in the form for info on our toilet you will see lots of posts about operation and how to if needed, replace the blade mechanism. I hope this info helps. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #4

Thank you both for the feedback. And since I do not have an owners manual, the refresher on how to hold open the slide was especially helpful.

I had some Synthetic Grease (PTFE) and just lubed the plate seal and it is operating better. Now that I know how to hold the slide open, I will pick up some lithium grease and go back in to get that jack screw.

Again, thanks for the guidance.

Sidenote. I see you are from Auburn 8.3OB. Passed right by you two weeks ago on the way to Arizona. Will be in El Mirage for December, then on to Gold Canyon on Jan 1st. through April 1st. Not missing the Washington weather at all.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #5

I have a manual foot activated Thetford. I used PTFE grease to lube bowl seal as it leaked out toilet water into the black tank.it worked for a month or so. I have been told not to use grease on the blade seal .
Old 12-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #6

Manuals are available at Thetford.com
Old 12-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #7

Because there are so many choices in lubricants, I called Thetford in the last hour and the customer service representative told me to use silicone grease on the slide and seals. No other suggestions, although admittedly I did not ask for alternatives.

This from a search on Super Lube, which is what I used:

"Super Lube Silicone Lubricating Grease with Syncolon (PTFE) has a wider operating temperature range than most petroleum based greases and is compatible with the major rubber and plastic compounds. ... Super Lube Silicone Lubricating Grease will not harden, dry out or melt."

FYI
Old 12-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartT View Post
Because there are so many choices in lubricants, I called Thetford in the last hour and the customer service representative told me to use silicone grease on the slide and seals. No other suggestions although I did not ask for alternatives.

This from a search on Super Lube, which is what I used:

"Super Lube Silicone Lubricating Grease with Syncolon (PTFE) has a wider operating temperature range than most petroleum based greases and is compatible with the major rubber and plastic compounds. ... Super Lube Silicone Lubricating Grease will not harden, dry out or melt."
Interesting! My neighbour here has a "bowl not holding water" problem and Thetford told him do not use grease. The blade seal is made for x thousand flushes.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartT View Post
Not missing the Washington weather at all.
Here, in Vancouver WA it's been in the 40's then down to the mid 20's overnight. Nice and clear though!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #10

Hi again StuartT and other responders; I don"t get to go to Az. until February. So just chillin here for the meantime. I used the white lithium grease because the best I can tell is that grease is on the jack screw from the Thetford Blade replacement Mechanism that I have in the coach. I ran my finger on the jack screw of the replacement and it matches the can of white lithium grease I keep on my work bench. I did not call Thetford to see what to use as their factory replacement came with the white lithium grease. As for the slide and seal, when not in use I use the Thetford blade seal lubricant. In the owners manual I have, Thetford recommends using the seal lube when the toilet is in storage and at least twice a year. Of course when the potty is being used all the time, that sequence is not possible. Let us know what you used and what the results are, if possible. I wish I was in Az. right now, sigh, but today is a sunny bright day and got out for a 3.5 mile walk with the wife. Hope all you mechanism's are smooth ones! Enjoy the sunshine.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #11

Mr_D, turns out my coach came from Vancouver, WA. Small world.

8.3OB, I didn't ask about lubing the screw when I called but lithium sounds like a safe bet since it should adhere better to a screw drive I think. And lithium would probably make a mess on the slide anyway, which would be visible.

Glad to hear you will be getting down to sun country later this winter.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:07 PM   #12

Wow, just after my last post, I looked out the window at our site in Pueblo El Mirage Golf and RV Resort to see roughly 75 golf carts going by, all decked out in their Xmas finery. Lots of laughing, waving, honking and toasting was the order of the evening. Great fun, great cart decorations and lighting, great spirit booster for the coming Holidays.

Tags
ford