RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Just returned from a trip to the Oregon Coast.

Everything ran perrrrfectly!!

While coming up over the Coast Range I was thinking about where I should go to get the coach serviced for the first time.

The selling dealer uses a mobile service. Of course I could take it there, but it is about 100 miles round trip.

There is a Cummins shop in Portland (not to far from where I was once stationed) on Swan Island.

I know that the dealer had the oil changed just prior to my taking it home.

Of course this service would also have to include the generator.

I Will Not take the coach to Camping World!

Since I don't know where all the lube points are in the coach, I figure that I should have it done by someone who knows.

Have any of you had the service done by Cummins? Can you give me an idea as to cost?

I will check with the mobile service as well and decide if the cost difference is worth taking it to Salem.

Thanks.

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Just returned from a trip to the Oregon Coast.

Everything ran perrrrfectly!!

While coming up over the Coast Range I was thinking about where I should go to get the coach serviced for the first time.

The selling dealer uses a mobile service. Of course I could take it there, but it is about 100 miles round trip.

There is a Cummins shop in Portland (not to far from where I was once stationed) on Swan Island.

I know that the dealer had the oil changed just prior to my taking it home.

Of course this service would also have to include the generator.

I Will Not take the coach to Camping World!

Since I don't know where all the lube points are in the coach, I figure that I should have it done by someone who knows.

Have any of you had the service done by Cummins? Can you give me an idea as to cost?

I will check with the mobile service as well and decide if the cost difference is worth taking it to Salem.

Thanks.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:41 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Gordon,
I have not had the oil changed by a Cummins service center but I have heard that it can run as much as $700 to $800. An option would be to find a local shop that is Cummins certified.
Pricing can be all over the place, anywhere from $250 to over $850. I used a local Peterbilt sales/service and my service was about $250 but did not include the generator. They used all Cummins filters and it did include lube. I talked to a couple of locals and they recommended the Peterbilt shop I used. It would be a good opportunity to calibrate your engine dip stick but make sure they put in the right amount. I think most shops know the lube points but if they lube them is another story. You might purchase the lubrication guide from Monaco to keep them honest. The Fleetwood 2 spaces down from me was charged $870 (including generator). I called local shops that were Cummins certified and asked for a quote. Some would not service RV's and I was absolutely amazed by the differences in pricing. I'm convinced some hear MH and the price doubles. It really pays off to shop around.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Mark,

I agree with your comments 100%. No sense going to an RV dealer for engine and chassis work - you'll pay way too much and they'll keep your coach for a week. I'd go to Cummins for warranty work or for something really major perhaps, but for routine maintenance, oil and lubes, and inspections, I've always just used the local bus garage in my home town. Their price is really reasonable, they have good mechanics and are happy to work on my motor home. I gave them a lube diagram with all the points on it. I've taken my previous motorhome there for years and they know me by now. I figure I'll just keep doing that with the Dip.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:54 AM   #5

I used Kennedy Engine Company in Biloxi, Ms. for my Cummins and Onan oil change and lube. They provide fleet service for Cummins and Onan engines. I thought $400 was high at the time, but they are located just 10 miles from where I store my coach. After reading the prior posts I don't feel so bad about the price and I was very satisfied with the work.

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Phrog Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:45 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
$400 is not bad for everything when you consider how messy to remove and install the oil filter on the generator. I changed it once and don't think I will change it again. Draining the oil is not bad but the oil filter is parallel and there must be some sort of anti-drain and by the time you unscrew the filter oil is everwhere including running down your arms. I anticipated some oil and shoved some old rags under it but it still made a huge mess.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 09-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #7

Gordon AKA shallow-water sailor

A man of your talents would even think of letting someone else do a simple oil change and lube. You can get Fleetguard parts at Inland Truck 1-800 999-8726. They even give a discount to FMCA members. I did both oil changes on the MH and genset. Not hard at all. (you have to let the wiremesh guard down first to do the MH oil change. Finding the blow-out on the genset was a little difficult, (get a light and ratchet ext and look inbetween the crack at the top by the muffler, its a brass bolt head) but after I found it, it was not a prob. s/Toby.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with sixpack98 on getting a copy of the Monaco lube-manual. Not really exciting bathroom time reading, but very useful nonetheless.

I have the local LubeJob shop (or whatever they're called these days) do the genset, but not the engine. I've been taking my cars to them for quite awhile now so they're willing to get a few extra $$ on the side. I also bring my own filters, makes it simpler for all.

I'm not comfortable with taking the engine to anyone but someone with a big blue "C" on the wall. That's a LOT of expensive/heavy metal back there, and I want to be sure they know which end is which. $400 is a good ballpark, but it's a small price to pay for peace-of-mind, at least to me.

My driving factor (no pun intended) in regular maintenance is always an echo of that transmission commercial of several years ago: "Whull, I ain't nuver worked on one of them-thair Japaneese transmixions before, but ah reckon I can give ˜er a try" (with all due respects to anyone I may have offended). I don't mind someone practicing, but not on something of mine!

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #9

Gordon - I have been doing all my oil changes myself on current and past rigs. My 05 Dip had the rock guard that had to be dropped, but it was only a few bolts. First time getting the filters off was a bit of a chore as Conan must have put them on. I used a wash tub line with a couple large trash bags to catch the oil. Then drained that into a five gallon can to take to the recycle place. Genny is a piece of cake. 10-15 minutes tops. I like doing it myself so I look around at everything else under there to see if any other problems are popping up. I think it cost about $100 for all the filters and oil.

Toby - Better watch out there are more Coasties on here then you may know.

Carl
Old 09-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #10

This got me thinking about a post a couple years ago on another board about DP maintenance costs. This was me reply back then for info:

Everyone is always asking how much it cost to maintain a DP. I just completed my RV maintenance this weekend. Below are the costs and time required to do annual preventive maintenance all by myself.

Oil & Filter change - 1 hour, 15 minutes. Required rock guard to be
removed for access to oil filter. Took more time to refill it then
drain it.
Oil, 26 Qts - $50.00
Filter - $41.00

Fuel Filter change - 15 minutes
Filters (2) - $45.00

Change Air Filter - 15 minutes
Filter -$75.00

Power Steering/Hydraulic Filter - 15 minutes
Filter - $14.00

Grease all fittings - 1 hour, 30 minutes
Grease - $4.00

Check and seal all joints - 2 hours
Eternabond Tape - $52.00
Dicor Sealant - $6.00

Check front wheel bearings - 1 Hour
Good - No $$

Check Rear Diff - 15 minutes
Good - No $$

Removed all batteries, cleaned all wires & terminals. Cleaned
battery tray. Installed "Trik-L-Start" battery maintainer. -
2 hours
Good – No $$ ( Trik-L-Start was $53.00 but not a maint Item)

Installed new wipers - 30 minutes
Blades - $16.00

Checked Coolant level and SCA - 15 minutes
Coolant strips – Free

Generator Oil & Filter - 30 minutes
Oil - $6.00
Filter - $12.00

So figure about 8 hours of work. Time will be a lot less next time as it took me a while to figure out how to get at some items and what tools I wanted to use. $350.00 in parts. I bought most of the filters months ago and have since found places to get them cheaper. All fluids were taken to local Kragen for disposal (no $$).

Counting my 6 month maintenance (transmission filter change and top off, grease everything, generator O&F change, etc) I figure I have put in about 15 man hours for maintenance and approx $500.00.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Some excellent points there Loranimal.

You got any recommendations as to where to purchase the correct oil filter for the 330 ISC, and the 8000 Onan generator?

What oil do you recommend.

I already have a grease gun. What grease?

If I do it myself - I will install a Fumoto oil valve at least on the ISC. I already know it's part # F-104N

Old 09-13-2007, 08:02 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club

Gordon... check your PMs...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:43 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I'm lazy or as I prefer to think...too busy. I had my oil change & lube done at a Cummins shop in Bakersfield. Changed the oil & filters, changed the fuel filters and lubed all fittings for a total cost of $$410.00. I didn't think that was too bad. I may tackle it myself once I retire....whenever that might be.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:50 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
nutensteve,
Maybe smart as well. I have a way of turning a 1 hr project into 2 or 3. One hour to change the oil and 2 hours to clean up the mess.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET