Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #1

Thinking of buying a Monaco Diplomat 38 a 2000

i have burned the internet looking for good info on the nuances, things that go bad, quirks or any other information that can help me decide what to do...

any info or help would be appreciated

Thanks

Duane

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #2

also, what is the insulation value? meaning will it hold up in the cold? i have an older 5th wheel now and really debating making the change

Old 12-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by duane124 View Post
also, what is the insulation value? meaning will it hold up in the cold? i have an older 5th wheel now and really debating making the change
The Monaco's of that vintage are generally pretty tight and well insulated. The big heat/cool loss area is the front windshield which is not double pane. We're full timers and most years we are in temps from at high of 95-100 and lows in the mid teens. Advertised R values don't mean much because you have a very thin wall section to work with.

If you are looking at a specific coach, you will be happier with the Cummins ISC engine and the diesel generator, both of which were options in 2000.

Here is the brochure.

http://www.monacocoach.com/StaticFil...00Diplomat.pdf
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #4

thanks.. the unit im probably gonna look at has the 315 isc and the diesel gennie
Old 12-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by duane124 View Post
thanks.. the unit im probably gonna look at has the 315 isc and the diesel gennie
Good options. Be aware that the ISC had an issue with cracking exhaust manifolds. They came up with a 2 piece design that seemed to solve the problem.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Good options. Be aware that the ISC had an issue with cracking exhaust manifolds. They came up with a 2 piece design that seemed to solve the problem.
thanks again... i will most definitely have it checked out at a fleet services etc before purchase.. do you know of any issues on the motor home side of it that i need to look at? from what i can tell is with this type unit you have 2 halves.. the frame/power train half and then the motor home half?
Old 12-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hi
I have a 2001 diplomat 38. I bought this rig almost 2 years ago. I've spent a total of 14 months in it and put 25K miles on it. It now has 118K miles
I've had it in temps 100 to low 20s. As long as your bay heaters and furnace works you will have no issues.
As mentioned, you need good curtains up front on the windshield to keep the heat and cold out
My slide has no issues so far. I can tell you we are very happy with our rig. We tow a jeep with no issues.
We have a 330 cummins and we had to replace our exhaust manifold already. Other than that no issues. Good luck
Old 12-02-2013, 04:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Hi
I have a 2001 diplomat 38. I bought this rig almost 2 years ago. I've spent a total of 14 months in it and put 25K miles on it. It now has 118K miles
I've had it in temps 100 to low 20s. As long as your bay heaters and furnace works you will have no issues.
As mentioned, you need good curtains up front on the windshield to keep the heat and cold out
My slide has no issues so far. I can tell you we are very happy with our rig. We tow a jeep with no issues.
We have a 330 cummins and we had to replace our exhaust manifold already. Other than that no issues. Good luck
thank you very much... this supposedly a 1 owner with 40 thousand miles on it.. asking price is 36G..i am getting the vin number from the private seller so i can run it as well.... the only obvious issue that i an tell from pics and dialog with the guy is the gel coat on the front is messed up a bit
Old 12-02-2013, 04:25 AM   #9

this is the unit..

Monaco diplomat 38 a 2000
Old 12-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Looks real nice. It's the same as mine.
Before you buy, how many miles are on the tires? How old are the tires. How old are the batteries? I paid $34K for my unit with brand new batteries and tires. Have a shop check it out. If you have a cummins dealer near by. Let them check the engine out. I've had a trouble free experience. Many people are not so lucky. We love our rig. Leaving in April on another 8 month trip out west.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Looks real nice. It's the same as mine.
Before you buy, how many miles are on the tires? How old are the tires. How old are the batteries? I paid $34K for my unit with brand new batteries and tires. Have a shop check it out. If you have a cummins dealer near by. Let them check the engine out. I've had a trouble free experience. Many people are not so lucky. We love our rig. Leaving in April on another 8 month trip out west.
supposedly the batteries are 2 yrs old and the tires have 12000 miles on em... the unit is a couple hours away so im getting as much info as i can before i drive down there to have a look
Old 12-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The biggest thing about tires. The forum is full of the subject. It's seems to be a personal preference. I won't ride on tires over 5 years old. Period. Others will wait up to 10 year old tires. When you hear of blow outs or flat tires, they are almost always older tires, 6 years or older. Don't be fooled by how much tread is on them. They sit for long periods and tend to dry rot. Michelin tires have specifications on how large cracks can be. That's crazy. I'm not driving down the road with 30,000 pounds and old or cracked tires.
Of course check the AC/heat pump units. Mine are still the original ones and work fine.
It has a Norcold refrigerator. They have a service bulletin on it for a temperature sensor on the stack. They seem to have a fire issue although mine works fine. Make sure that is done.
See how many hours on the generator.
Just a few things off the top of my head.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #13

thanks again

i was an OTR truck driver in a previous life and tires are a priority..i have already budgeted out for new rubber regardless of how well the tires look.. the genset has 107 hours according to the owner

when i head down there i am going to go through every piece of paper on it.. the guy supposedly kept meticulous records
Old 12-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Just buy it. You will love it. After you get it change engine oil, check oil level in differential and transmission, make sure your coolant has proper level of nitrate. Read the engine codes (there should not be any) and data - it will show you all engine data including mileage and mpg and lots more. If odometer has more than 80000 miles do overhead adjustment (valve adjustment). Check the V-belt – make sure it is in good condition and have a spare one on hand (approx. $70) – Cummins has a lame design – when this belt brakes water pump does not work and you will overheat the engine quickly.

Tags
monaco