Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2016, 06:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thoughts on truck wash

Hello everyone,
still a newbie here and we took the RV through a Blue Beacon Truck wash.
they use high pressure sprayers and an over head rain shower to completely wash the coach....followed by rain x solution that coats the entire coach.
Initially thought this was a God Send.... but now am wondering..... is it advisable to use these truck washes?

craig
craighouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #2

Used the one in Joplin mo when we had ran in muddy rain for 4 days and it was going to be clear all the way to Mn. They did a good job no issues They did magic to the alum wheels. Why are you concerned?
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #3

We've used 18 wheeler truck wash in Troy IL , very pleased
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have taken my old RV through the Blue Beacon and was satisfied with the job done. Depending on what your owners manual says and how you interpret it you might not want to use a truck wash. However Blue Beacon markets it self as a truck wash and a RV wash. Reading past threads on the topic, which can be found using the search function, it seemed most people had success with Blue Beacon. The only issues were getting water in the refrigerator vents causing damage to the refrigerator. Some people went as far as taping over the vents before going through the truck wash. While the RV looks nice after going through a Blue Beacon nothing really beats a hand wash and wax. A compromise is a good wax foundation and a Blue Beacon wash here and there when it is dirty on the road.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I have found that the recyled wash water used in the truck washes (including Blue Beacon) is not clean, and will leave nasty water marks when it dries. These water spots and lines can be very hard to remove because left for a few days, they etch the paint (maybe it is because the rinse water is acidic). I suppose this would be alleviated if you hand dried the coach immediately after the wash, but for a wash and go, be warned there may be serious spotting to be dealt with after the coach has dried.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:40 PM   #6

We have used Blue Beacon a few times with good success. My son just purchased a commercial high pressure washer /cleaner for his shop. When Blue Beacon was mentioned, the sales rep for the washer cautioned my son to be careful and that the chemicals used by BB were harsh on clearcoat. I'll still use them occasionally, but only when I can not do it myself.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:05 AM   #7

Nothing wrong with using the truck wash. If you can, find one close to home that you can develop a relationship with, meaning they know what you want as far as in the detail of their work, and you will find it takes a big load off you when you find the need to clean up the coach.

As far as chemicals that were mentioned, it's only the same soap used for washing trucks with the polyurethane paints. This the same soap used to wash aircraft that also use polyurethane paint.

Be careful though on the wheels, if they use the acid wash, (and they won't unless they ask you first) you will be faced with the task of hand polishing much sooner than normal.

If you are about the take a day to completely detail your coach, use the truck wash first to get a good start, none ever do a perfect job as a good detailer would so that's just the nature of the beast. Water in some may not be as good in others.

Be sure all your windows and vents are closed before they start.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:11 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
That's tHe only way I've washed any of my rvs ....
Old 04-24-2016, 06:55 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all the feedback.
craighouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:38 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by craighouston View Post
...we took the RV through a Blue Beacon Truck wash. They use high pressure sprayers and an over head rain shower to completely wash the coach....
The truck wash that I visit on occasion (not Blue Beacon ... but a very similar setup) uses gear that looks like a high pressure sprayer. However, they seem to run it at a much lower pressure. It's definitely not the paint/decal removing blast that I get from my 2000 PSI power washer at home!
Old 04-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As a member here looking for our full-time coach, but still RVing in our 3rd Airstream TT, BB is all we use for our on-the-road washes. With clear coated/polished wheels, you should tell them not to use acid but citrus instead. This will not harm your wheels or ours. Also, the RainX is a great option. Do not hesitate to stand outside your coach and watch (and advise) them to ensure YOU are satisfied with the wash. As a long-term Big Rig owner/operator who has used BB many times, they want to make you happy with the results.
Streamintrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:38 PM   #12

Not the best wash job but I sure like the underside wash to get the salt off when we go to AZ. The BB at Kingman Az fits right into our schedule.
Will try wiping the coach with a micro towel on a swifter next time to get rid of the spots after we pull out of the bay. Should have a 1/2 hr before the next truck needs to pull out.

later
pointrow
Old 04-25-2016, 08:03 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
What do places like Blue Beacon normally charge to wash a 40' MH?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:20 AM   #14

We use Little Sisters truck and RV wash and have been very happy with them. They dry the coach after they wash it so spots are minimal. They charge $1.50 per foot except on RV Friday, then it's $1.00 per foot. We use them before we leave and then when we return from each trip.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote