Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #1

Time to replace the wiper assembly...

My coach came with a Wiper Technology system. They are owned by Diesel Equipment of North Carolina.

I have had a growing set of issues, but basically the pivots are corroded, the connections are worn (so the arms sweep too far and exceed the windshield surface), the blades don't stay on the glass very well, and finally, because of the binding in the pivots, they tend to stop working due to overheating just when you need them.

The original parts are no longer available so I can't fix what I have, but Wiper Technologies say they can provide a replacement that is a much better system. Waiting for a quote and spec, which I will share when it comes in.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Keep us informed. I'd like a better set of wipers too. Same windshield, I think
Old 05-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If you haven't already you might poke around this site and see if they have what you need. I had to replace a pivot on mine and they had what I needed.

https://www.wiperparts.com/?m=75619&...rce=smartrmail
foretexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Paul,

About three weeks ago we stopped at Wiper Tech in Greensboro and had the POS stock system replaced. It took them about 2 hours and the total cost was $395. They replaced literally everything except the power connection.
I couldn't be happier. I used to dread rain; no more.

Cheers,
Old 05-19-2018, 08:14 PM   #5

Tim,

I have read every post that comes up about wipers since mine have been a sore point for some time. Problem is the arms are too worn to fix and there are no new parts available for the arms.

Bob, that is incredibly encouraging. I've been trying to get Wiper Tech to get back to me. After an initial discussion about 2 months ago where their guy asked me for pictures and then confirmed they had a package, I told him I would cool my jets while I had one of my hips re-surfaced and now that I'm recovered I can tackle this.

If I was within driving distance I'd get them to but it is 2,333 miles out of my way I'll just get them to ship the parts to me. The price you paid was very reasonable.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #6

The original set up was trash from the beginning. Had to replace the whole system. Wasn't cheap but it works. Install was fairly easy but I had to enlarge the holes to mount. Have the same coach as you have listed. Can give you the contact I worked with. Took several emails but he hung in there with me until we got it done,
Butch Helland
AM Equipment Manufacturing
Office: (541) 327-3362
Fax: (541) 327-3480
E-Mail: butch@amequipment.com

My order # was 192069, Can send you a Pic of the finished job if you like
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #7

Butch,

Thanks for the info. I contacted AM last year after I was mistakenly told the assembly in my coach came from them. They said they could probably do a custom replacement, but they put me onto Wiper Technologies.

From what Wiper Tech told me I'll have to enlarge the holes with their replacement as well.

As Bob posted his cost $395, which is very reasonable, I gather the AM alternative was a bit pricey. Did you go with the version that they say will never over-sweep?
Old 05-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #8

Butch is the guy At AM, I am Ken! Do not remember them saying they will never over sweep but wit the design I do not see how they can. Wish I had heard of the $395 option mine was $720 with everything but I did replace it ALL
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwyatt View Post
Butch is the guy At AM, I am Ken! Do not remember them saying they will never over sweep but wit the design I do not see how they can. Wish I had heard of the $395 option mine was $720 with everything but I did replace it ALL
Oops. Sorry Ken. $720 is still not terrible given what other parts for the RV have cost me!

Good to know there is another option. I still haven't heard back from Wiper Tech - the first conversation was very positive and he asked for pictures to confirm the new parts would fit. He replied very quickly to it and sent the instructions. At the time he knew I was just home in anticipation of the surgery and that I'd get back to him when I was able to take it on.

Now it has been a couple of weeks with no reply to my email or a voice message. Maybe he is on vacation. I'll post the outcome.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:03 AM   #10

Bob,

I just spoke with Sean Miller at Wiper Technologies and he is putting the parts together for me. He said he installs them no charge for anyone who can pull into their driveway (assuming he has the time).

You got a smoking deal, installed for $395. Mine will be $395 plus shipping and a lot of cursing (don't expect the installation to be easy). Sadly not worth my time to drive 2,330 miles to get them installed for free.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:18 PM   #11

I finally got around to installing the new wiper assembly. I've had it a few months but other things kept getting in the way.

First I removed most of the cowling covering the generator. That took about 20 minutes. I then disconnected the old connection and plugged in the new assembly to make sure it worked. No problems so I proceeded to remove the old one. Not too difficult - only two drywall screws (I'm not making that up) through the mounting plate held the main motor mount to the backing board.

Removed the old wiper arms with a small puller, undid the nuts holding the pivots in place and the old assembly came away.

The install required drilling out the old pivot holes to 1 and 1/16 of an inch - biggest problem was finding a bit that size. The new assembly slid in easily, but the mounting plate is not the same size, and only provided one hole to put a screw through. There is an adjustable plate but it didn't reach high enough to reach the upper backing plate, so we had to make a shim to bolt it to the front.

The biggest issue is that the old washer barbs were in a different location than the new assembly allows for, so when drilling those holes bigger to take the new (larger) barbs you have to drill through the the assembly and it is fairly thick steel. Not a big job buy annoying.

On a difficulty I'd give it a 3 out of 10, but on an annoyance scale it rates a 7. With the cowl off and the generator in there is room to work but it is all in tight locations and the assembly is installed on the driver's side, making it more difficult.

No comparing the two systems. The old one was rubbish, this one is well made and I expect equal to the task. Sadly Sean Miller at Wiper Technologies had a bad heart attack recently. I hope he recovers and gets back to helping out Monaco owners.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
I finally got around to installing the new wiper assembly. I've had it a few months but other things kept getting in the way.

First I removed most of the cowling covering the generator. That took about 20 minutes. I then disconnected the old connection and plugged in the new assembly to make sure it worked. No problems so I proceeded to remove the old one. Not too difficult - only two drywall screws (I'm not making that up) through the mounting plate held the main motor mount to the backing board.

Removed the old wiper arms with a small puller, undid the nuts holding the pivots in place and the old assembly came away.

The install required drilling out the old pivot holes to 1 and 1/16 of an inch - biggest problem was finding a bit that size. The new assembly slid in easily, but the mounting plate is not the same size, and only provided one hole to put a screw through. There is an adjustable plate but it didn't reach high enough to reach the upper backing plate, so we had to make a shim to bolt it to the front.

The biggest issue is that the old washer barbs were in a different location than the new assembly allows for, so when drilling those holes bigger to take the new (larger) barbs you have to drill through the the assembly and it is fairly thick steel. Not a big job buy annoying.

On a difficulty I'd give it a 3 out of 10, but on an annoyance scale it rates a 7. With the cowl off and the generator in there is room to work but it is all in tight locations and the assembly is installed on the driver's side, making it more difficult.

No comparing the two systems. The old one was rubbish, this one is well made and I expect equal to the task. Sadly Sean Miller at Wiper Technologies had a bad heart attack recently. I hope he recovers and gets back to helping out Monaco owners.
Do you have a list of part numbers for this project?
ghumphre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghumphre View Post
I don't. The way it worked was I contacted Diesel Equipment/Wiper Technologies and Sean Miller (who I hope will be back at work soon) had me send him a picture of the sticker on the current system, and measure the center to center distance on the pivot arms.

With that he knew what was needed and put the replacement together. I am not even sure I got a part number, but things were a little disconnected at my end and I have misplaced the invoice.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghumphre View Post
This might answer some questions (not exactly as described - the mounting plate is a little different):
Attached Files
File Type: pdf INSTALLATION DOCUMENT R34-HDRK.pdf (983.3 KB, 56 views)

Tags
ace, replace