Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
tinted windows?

The windows on my 08 knight are tinted terribly dark, all but the windshield and the drivers side.

Here's a picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120426_161422.png
Views:	137
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	20427
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Now back on a somewhat normal keyboard...

This dark stuff is a film applied to the inside of the window. I doesn''t go all the way to the edge of the glass, not into the grooves the windows slide in. I can feel the edge of the film with my nail, a few areas I tested seem as if I could just peel it off...

Is this stuff factory, or was the PO a mole?

Has anyone else tried to remove it?

It makes the coach soooo dark. Even in broad daylight, we have to keep all the interior lights on!

I'd start with the pass side, get it lit up on the "patio side" as well as the front passenger window, the DW is always talking (not the word I''d really choose...) about how she can''t look out and see where we are going...
Old 04-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #3

Lot's of razor blades with a GOOD holder, Time and more time. Lot's of Windex and maybe a Bandaid or two. Might want to consider keeping it in the bedroom. I will guarantee from past experience, it will be harder to cool in the middle of summer! Looks like Limo tint, 95% light reduction. Won't be too bad while camping with the awnings out but while traveling is where you will notice the heat more.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It also takes a load off the air conditioner.

Tinting (all the way to black) is generally legal BEHIND the driver's seat (From the ""B" Pillar forward (that's the door post in back of the driver's seat on a car) it is very limited, but from there back generally (Laws vary from state to state) it's you can black them out legally.

The problem is if you can see out at high noon, neighbors can see IN at low midnight. if you have the lights on.

But the tint also keeps a whole lot of heat out in the Summer Sun.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #5

Try a cleaner with alcohol. They say for you to not use alchol on your car windows that are tinted so I assume it might help to remove. I am not sure.
puddintang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
back to the beginning...

The pics I posted are of the drivers side windows, open. So the dark sides are 2 layers of glass and tinting.

I LIKE the sunlight. I do not want to live in the dark. Comments about how the tinting helps my air conditioning are not helpful. I don't care. I''m outside anyway, and the hotter the better. At night, I will lower the blinds. In the interest of privacy, I''ll do the passenger side first.

This is my first MONACO coach.
For other MONACO OWNERS, is this stuff factory, did they build them this way?

For any other interested persons who have chosen to remove window tinting film, what's it take to get it done?
Old 04-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jim....That sure doesn't look like factory tint. I'm sure someone was having issues keeping the coach cool as "wa8yxm" stated. Maybe an Arizona coach.

It will be some work, but would probably be a huge improvement to remove it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Lot's of razor blades with a GOOD holder, Time and more time. Lot's of Windex and maybe a Bandaid or two. Might want to consider keeping it in the bedroom. I will guarantee from past experience, it will be harder to cool in the middle of summer! Looks like Limo tint, 95% light reduction. Won't be too bad while camping with the awnings out but while traveling is where you will notice the heat more.
I repete.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Don. I doubt it's factory too.
And if its not factory, it will come off.
Muffin, I''m gonna arm myself with windex, rubbing alcahol, and single edge razor blades, and start attacking this stuff this weekend.
Thanks guys.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jim...You may be able to lift out the sliding portion of the windows and lay them on a towel covered bench and make it easier to work on them.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Linda and I had our coach tinted by professional "tinters", but we didn't go BLACK. You do have to pull the shades at night with the lights on as others can see in. During the day we can see out, but nobody can see in. It is actually very COOL. We tinted the eyebrow on the front windshield which helps while driving, and continued that 12" or so to the drivers side window. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Check with a few local companies that do window tint to see how they remove it and for fun, ask what they would charge to remove it? Might surprise you since the economy is a bit weak.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Check out the video.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
nice video......deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote