Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #1

Tire Cupping

What is the most likely cause of tire cupping? Both front tires are cupping on the outside edge.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #2

Are they Goodyear tires? If so they are notorious for it. Mine did it before I replaced with michelins although not as bad as some have.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Just curious as to how many miles you have on them.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When mine were cupping it was because of alignment. Had it aligned and new tires installed...problem cured.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I agree. I put new goodyear tires on and aligned my front end. Now have 25K on tires. No more issues. Also make sure you have enough pressure in tires. I run my front tires at 105PSI.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
had prob like this with motorcycle, tech said, under inflated tires will cause this.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
For some reason it's called "rivering"... Google that on iRV2 and get ready to read for hours.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #8

Tires are Goodyear with 21,000 miles, but the cupping has been happening for some time. If it was simply a matter of tire brand I doubt it be happening exactly the same on both front tires. I am in Yuma for four months. Does anyone know of a good alignment shop in the area?
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
A simple answer is this. Cupping is usually the result of the tire not staying on the ground with the same pressure. Shocks dampen tire up and down movement from road changes. If the shocks don't absorb that energy the tires continue to oscillate. So weakened shocks won't keep the tire in as close a contact as good shocks. That is the primary cause of cupped tires.

Incorrect toe will cause a feather edge pattern on both front tires. Since the steer tires will tend to toe out when weight is placed on them the industry standard is 1/16" of toe in (the front of the tire is 1/16" closer than the rear).

Incorrect camber + or - will cause either inner or outer edge wear.
Caster misalignmentis not usually indicated by any tire wear patterns.

So you are back to shocks as your main cause but tire inflation pressures also enter into the picture. It is still recommended by ALL tire manufacturers to inflate your tires based on the weight that they carry and not the MAXIMUM PRESSURE indicated on the tire sidewall.

I would never blame a tire or a tire manufacturer as the cause of cupping. I've read to much about tires. Yes some tires will cup faster than others due to design issues, quality of rubber (cheaper tires), where it is driven, etc. But there is still a cause or reason why the tire cupped and that can be corrected.

TeJay
Old 12-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigginsjsr View Post
Tires are Goodyear with 21,000 miles, but the cupping has been happening for some time. If it was simply a matter of tire brand I doubt it be happening exactly the same on both front tires. I am in Yuma for four months. Does anyone know of a good alignment shop in the area?
The Goodyear tires started cupping on our 07 Camelot at about 15000 miles -- Had front end aligned, & rotated tires from left rear to front-- Another 15000 & the same thing happened again -- Put Michelin all the way around, & 35000 miles later, no cupping -- New Bilstein shocks probably helped -- William Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Slight disagreement with under-inflation. That usually causes center tire wear all around and not cupping. Now under-inflation and bad shocks together will cause center tire wear and cupping at the same time. They each are the result of different issues.

When trying to diagnose you have to look at cause and effect. What symptoms will be exhibited when something malfunctions??? Once the symptom has been identified then go to the item that caused that symptom. One major problem is sometimes things are interrelated and that causes a misdirection in finding the solution. That's why good diagnostic technicians are not a dime a dozen.

TeJay
Old 12-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Goodyears are notorious for doing that and while an alignment might be the cause I'm betting it's not the problem it's the tires. Mine did the same thing starting at 15,000 miles so I had alignment checked and everything was right on and I had been running 115psi in the front. Inner tread on duals even started to show similar wear. Replaced with Michelins and very happy with them.

Since I have changed tires I have made it a point to look at other coaches with Goodyears and I'm amazed at how many have the same rivering issue I had. IMO Goodyear has an issue with their tires and they really aren't addressing it.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I would also check the shocks if they are Monroes you are right at the milage they usually need to be replaced. Replaced mine just before the new tires were installed and they were shot.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
First mistake ever!!! LOL I got mixed up on my last post. Under-inflation causes outer tire edge wear not inner.

TeJay