Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #1

Tire Life on a 2008 Monaco Camelot

My wife and I have been fulltiming in a 27' Airstream for nearly 2 1/2 years. It's not really designed for this use so, we have decided to move up to a motorhome.

I am not a Monaco owner yet, but I might pull the trigger and buy a used '08 Camelot in the next few days but I have a couple of questions.

It has about 39,500 miles on it and new tires were installed around January '12, based on the date on Dec. 2012 imprinted on the tires.

Based on available info, it looks like the tires were installed at about 35,000 miles after about five years of use. This sounds like very low mileage to me. I've heard that these tires should last at least 7-10 years and 100,000 miles. Any thoughts?

Second, is there anything unusual or specific to this model I should inspect before signing the contract?

Thanks much for your input and advice.
Logicality is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
There is a pretty good consensus that tires should be changed after 6-7 years.
Some folks go longer, but that replacement is very common.

Google camelot as I am sure there is a lot of info on this site.
enjoy!
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tires should last the 7 to 10 years like you say. It all depends on how much hot sun they are exposed to. Some think they should be replaced every five years.
If they were replaced in 2012 that is a plus for you.
The Camelot is a nice coach and a good choice. I would certainly check the history of maintenance and other than that I would not worry. Good luck on your purchase.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:34 AM   #4

Unless you do an exceptional amount of travel, you'll probably never have to replace your tires due to milage. Most folks tire have to be replaced due to age. Many folks say they "have" to be replaced after 5 or 6 years but on this you should listen to the experts. Michelin advises that after 5 years, your tires should be inspected annually for cracks, curbing etc but definately replaced at 10 years.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:57 AM   #5

Our 06 HR has 09 tires. So we are going on 6yrs. old in 2015. Tread still at 85% and no cracking. So this year I am going to watch the tires more and make sure of the tire pressure(110psi) and coach weight. I am trying for 8yrs on the tires. But i'll be ready at anytime if problems come up.
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:17 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Tires should last the 7 to 10 years like you say. It all depends on how much hot sun they are exposed to. Some think they should be replaced every five years.
If they were replaced in 2012 that is a plus for you.

I agree they should last 7-10 years but, as you say, sun plays a big role in tire longevity. When I bought my HR last year I crawled all over it checking tire dates and was satisfied with the tires being manufactured in 09. Imagine my shock when one blew out on the way back from Texas in great little town Llano. The damage that tire did was pretty bad and expensive. I was lamenting to the dealer and they informed me that most of the tires had a date of 05 making them just over 9 years old when the first one gave out. This actually the first time I realized I was losing my eyesight as soon after this I made an eye doctor appointment to find out I had cataracts! No wonder I couldn't read it right! This will be fixed in a few weeks!

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 12-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I hear ya Alan. Mine are all dated 05 and I am going to change them before I head out next week. They are Goodyears and still look brand new and have 25000 mi. They may give me a trade in on them and sell them for farm tires. Not much but every little bit helps.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
Our 06 HR has 09 tires. So we are going on 6yrs. old in 2015. Tread still at 85% and no cracking. So this year I am going to watch the tires more and make sure of the tire pressure(110psi) and coach weight. I am trying for 8yrs on the tires. But i'll be ready at anytime if problems come up.
Our Michelins went 8 years with no problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
I hear ya Alan. Mine are all dated 05 and I am going to change them before I head out next week. They are Goodyears and still look brand new and have 25000 mi. They may give me a trade in on them and sell them for farm tires. Not much but every little bit helps.

BTW, the tires all looked very good without any cracks (ha, none I could see anyway!) or anything. My wife had a few choice words to the effect of "I thought you checked all those tires out!"

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 12-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #10
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
The 10 year/60,000 mile Goodyears that were on the rear of my coach looked great when I bought it, however I drove it from the point of possession to the tire shop and had them replaced. I did look inside each tire with a light and couldnt see any issues.

I wish I would have taken pictures. As a somewhat conservative person, it is conflicting to replace hardware that isnt presenting any issue. On the other hand, I have seen the damage caused by tire failures. I chose the "coach conservative" option.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #11

Tire Life on a 2008 Monaco Camelot

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1419963440.722192.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	82181
This Firestone tire looked perfectly fine at nine years of age. It took out coach insulation, air lines, air line cover, tire skirt and then removed the splash guard from my new Honda as well as some paint from both. Now tell me how that goes the grain of replacing something that doesn't appear to need it! I didn't even drive this tire that long on purpose! I didn't read the date right because of cataracts. This held us up three days and cost $2500 to replace all the tires. Coach-Net really went out of their way to help get us back to town but it really worked best when I asked them if I could talk directly with the tire dealer. The guy came out right away foregoing his lunch time, brought parts to fix the air line and the wrong tire. Long story short it is not worth risking it.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Old 12-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
Attachment 82181
This Firestone tire looked perfectly fine at nine years of age. It took out coach insulation, air lines, air line cover, tire skirt and then removed the splash guard from my new Honda as well as some paint from both. Now tell me how that goes the grain of replacing something that doesn't appear to need it! I didn't even drive this tire that long on purpose! I didn't read the date right because of cataracts. This held us up three days and cost $2500 to replace all the tires. Coach-Net really went out of their way to help get us back to town but it really worked best when I asked them if I could talk directly with the tire dealer. The guy came out right away foregoing his lunch time, brought parts to fix the air line and the wrong tire. Long story short it is not worth risking it.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan,
I couldnt agree more. I saw a coach with the front electrical compartment tore out due to a blown driver's side tire. That is why I chose the "coach conservative" approach also.

Darin
Old 12-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #13

Darin, smart move even though it is painful to the pocketbook. Good travels.

Thanks,

Alan

Old 01-01-2015, 09:33 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I usually learn the hard way, and after many years of trucking and seeing the damage a blowout can cause i will do the right thing.
But they still look new! Ha Ha! DW has the last word or two. New Tires!!!

Tags
monaco