Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2016, 07:59 AM   #1

Tire pressures for Monaco Signature

Please spare me the lecture on weighing my motorhome. I have every intention of weighing it as soon as I can, but we are leaving on a 1200 mile trip this week and I do not have time yet. Please just tell me what you guys typically run in your tires. Mine is a 2005 Signature Platinum 4. I just need to know a starting point. Thanks.

P.S. forgot to mention I am running 295 80R 22.5 tires
Alphamonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 08:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Alphamonk

This is what we are running in our tires. We have a 2005 Sig 40, Michelin 295 80R 22.5 tires.

Front 118 PSI
Duals 110 PSI
Tag 100 PSI

Yes, it may be high to some people, but I get very good tire wear with this setting.
GW around 45,000 Lbs.

Travel safe & enjoy
Old 05-31-2016, 09:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&SL View Post
Alphamonk

This is what we are running in our tires. We have a 2005 Sig 40, Michelin 295 80R 22.5 tires.

Front 118 PSI
Duals 110 PSI
Tag 100 PSI

Yes, it may be high to some people, but I get very good tire wear with this setting.
GW around 45,000 Lbs.

Travel safe & enjoy

Thanks C&SL. About what I was thinking. I'll go with that for now. Any chance you know about what temps the tires run?
Old 05-31-2016, 10:27 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Why not just inflate to the pressures the manufacturer suggests on the sticker on the wall by your drivers seat
Old 05-31-2016, 11:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Why not just inflate to the pressures the manufacturer suggests on the sticker on the wall by your drivers seat
Because a lot of times you find that people a running slightly different pressures than OEM recommendations. Slightly less air can make a huge difference in ride. Of course not enough can result in poor handling. For one thing not all tire manufactures even show the same settings for the exact same size tire.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamonk View Post
Because a lot of times you find that people a running slightly different pressures than OEM recommendations.
Yes you do. Those people have run their coach across the scales, fully loaded, with full fuel and fresh water tanks!
The smart ones, have used the manufacturers recomended pressures, until they have done so!
Old 05-31-2016, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Yes you do. Those people have run their coach across the scales, fully loaded, with full fuel and fresh water tanks!

The smart ones, have used the manufacturers recomended pressures, until they have done so!

115 fronts
100 dual rears
85 tag

I haven't found a place to weigh it so I go by the sticker. No tire wear and a good ride.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:40 PM   #8

Yeah, I've weighed mine a few times now, even lucked out and came across a closed scale (scale left on), within 5mi of topping up the fuel tank.
I could lower my pressures some, but the tire manufacturer, of the tires I'm running, want you to use the coach manufacturers recomended pressures.

I think the difference in ride in a air bag equipped coach, is neglegable with slightly lower air pressure in the tires.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamonk View Post
Thanks C&SL. About what I was thinking. I'll go with that for now. Any chance you know about what temps the tires run?
Can't say that much temp difference, But the sun or shade side makes a difference in temp. We are happy with our ride with our settings. But toad RF tire changes the most in temp. (coach exhaust side)
Old 06-01-2016, 06:39 AM   #10

On our '06 Dynasty, we run 115 on the steer axle and 80 on all six rear tires. Replaced them at 10 years and 55,000 miles due to age, not wear. (Other than the steers that were replaced at 5 years and needed it again due to the infamous Goodyear steer axle wear problem). Drive axle and tag axle depend on how you've loaded your tag.

The three axle ratings, front to rear, are 15,000, 20,000 and 10,000. That would suggest similar loading on all six rear tires.

If you tweak your tag loading, be careful not to overload your front axle, as that can happen very easily.

As for temperatures, we shoot ours with a hand-held IR thermometer, on the tread, whenever we stop for a break. I don't look for absolute temperatures, but rather similar temperatures. The sun is a definite factor, side to side. Also, please consider a tire pressure monitor on your coach and tow. PressurePro is good. There are several others.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:05 AM   #11

Thanks KyJV. O do have a tire monitor that displays temps. That is the reason I was wondering. I have the infrared too but have never monitored the temps while under way. Just wondering what to consider excessive.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:14 AM   #12

I do, "Alphamonk", but the engineer in me tells me that the temperature information that they give me is not really useful. I say that, because the sensors are mounted on the ends of the valve stems, and as such are really quite removed from the tires, themselves, as far as heat transfer is concerned. They are also very much in the airstream as the coach goes down the road. This is especially true on the rear tires, where they installed the extension hoses to get the fill points to be more easily accessible. If the sensors are on relatively short stems, and the stems are metal, there will be some correlation, but I don't personally put any importance on the information that our system gives us on temperature.

There may very well be systems where the sensors are inside the tires, and those I would believe in. Unfortunately, PressurePro isn't one of those. The feature looks good on paper, but I'm of the opinion that it doesn't give true value.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:29 AM   #13

On my 2004 Signature with those tires on it I ran 110 in the front, 95 in the Drive axle and 90 in the tag. I also found that 42 lbs in the tag axle regulator to be best.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
On my 2004 Signature with those tires on it I ran 110 in the front, 95 in the Drive axle and 90 in the tag. I also found that 42 lbs in the tag axle regulator to be best.

Great info, Mike. Thanks.

Tags
monaco, tire pressure