RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I HAVE 2006 HR VACATIONER DIESEL. IAM SOON GOING ON ALONG TRIP. I WAS CHECKING THE RIG ETC. MY AIR PRESSURE INFO ON THE TIRES SAYS 110PSI. MY PLACARD INSIDE THE COACH SAYS 80 PSI SO I AM RUNNING 95 PSI IN MY TIRES. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELPFUL INFO ON THIS SUBJECT
THANKS IN ADVANCE TOMMY

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I HAVE 2006 HR VACATIONER DIESEL. IAM SOON GOING ON ALONG TRIP. I WAS CHECKING THE RIG ETC. MY AIR PRESSURE INFO ON THE TIRES SAYS 110PSI. MY PLACARD INSIDE THE COACH SAYS 80 PSI SO I AM RUNNING 95 PSI IN MY TIRES. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELPFUL INFO ON THIS SUBJECT
THANKS IN ADVANCE TOMMY

Old 12-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Without weighing your coach it is really bad policy to just arbitrarily try to guess a good air pressure. Go and have it weighed. Oregon leaves it's scales on even when they are not manned, so you can weigh for nothing. Otherwise take to a truck facility (some of the big travel stop locations that cater to truckers have scales) and get it weighed. Your safety is most important, and come to think of it if you get a blowout because of over weighting or under inflation I might be traveling down the road in the opposite direction and I don't want to see you and your coach getting squirrelly coming at me ar 60 + MPH.

2009 Camelot QDP 40ft.
Duffy's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">fort walton beach fl </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I fully agree with Duffys Dad. You need to weigh your coach and then adjust the pressures using the tire manufacturers specifications for the tire you have on your vehicle. Here are the three nearest cat scales to your posted location. It only cost around $12.00
9.9 miles
LUCKY 13 A/T PLAZA
I-10 & HWY 285, EXIT 70
MOSSY HEAD, FL 32580
37 miles
WILLIAMS TRAVEL CENTER
I-10 Exit 10B
PENNSACOLA, FL 32514
40 miles
PILOT TRAVEL CENTERS
I-10, EXIT 5
PENSACOLA, FL 32534
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I agree with the posts here. I just want to amplify what they are saying. When you have your coach weighed, make sure it is fully loaded. That is, full fuel tank, full water tank, all your clothing, food stuffs, etc. And, remember to stay inside the coach when it is being weighed.

I have bought three different Class A's, and on each one, I weighed it when I was leaving on my first "shake down" trip. If you cannot get weighed at "each corner", then at least have the coach weighed with the front tires on the scale, then with the entire coach on the scales. Then, you can at least determine the weight on the front axle and the weight on the rear axle.

By knowing the axle weights, you can then go to the tire manufacturers web site and find out what the correct PSI should be, just as SacsTC says.

Remember, the lower the PSI, the better (or "softer") the ride. For my coach, the tire sidewall says a max PSI of 110. The Monaco sticker says 100 PSI. But, comparing my actual weights with the Michelin tire guide, I carry 95 PSI in all 6 tires.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:47 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The previous posters are right on with their advice. Get weighed so you have a PSI baseline then get a set of wireless tire monitors for all tires including toad.Great peace of mind! I use Doran RV 360. RVUpgrades.com an IRV2 sponsor sells tire monitors.

Tommy...not to worry! Until you get around to weighing or monitoring...95 pounds will give you a perfect combination of ride and safety provided that you check tire pressures often.

2005 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ
InflatableBoats4Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tommy, normally the suggested tire pressure posted in the coach is the pressure required to support the coach with each axle at rated load, i.e. the maximum load you should carry. You should check weight at a truck stop, many have certified scales - Cat Scales for example, and they will give you weight for the front and real axle. Make sure you are not overloaded on any axle and then you are good to go at suggested tire pressure. The most precise method is weighing each corner and adjusting pressure according to that weight - make sure no corner is overloaded just as you did the complete axle. My personal practice is to keep tires near the suggested pressure so when the weight changes as you travel you should always be safe. Remember water weighs a little over 8 pounds per gallon and diesel fuel a little over 7 pounds per gallon so 100 gallons of water and 100 gallons of fuel is about three quarters of a ton and the amount of fuel and water vary as you travel.

Hope this helps.

2016 Winnebago Cambria 30J
LewF is offline   Reply With Quote