Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Tire Replacement-2002 Monaco 40DST

Tires $$$... I bought a 2002 Monaco 40DST Diplomat a few months ago that has the original Goodyear G159 tires on the rear...275/70R/22.5 and only 33,000 miles.They still have plenty of thread and I can't see any weather checking on the outside: who knows on the inside. But, being 9 years old it seems time to replace them. I have read some of the other threads, done some research on the internet and just came home from my local Les Schwab dealer. He offers Michelin and Geostar in this size and a Toyo 265/75R/22.5 as an alternate . For the limited miles in our future I can't budget the high cost of the Michelins. The Geostars are about half the price of Michelin, 16 ply, and H rated.Anyone have any experience with Geostars on motorhomes?? Secondly, what are your thoughts on going with the Toyo? It is narrower but taller, 14 ply and H rated. The Toyo is about $300 more total than the Geostar, and Schwab says it will ride smoother and outlast the Geostar. Thanks in advance for your response.
Schrimscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
I ran Toyo tires on a previous coach and was very happy with them. Have not heard of the Geostar tire.

Your coach came with a 255 and not the 275 size as did mine. I changed to 275/70/22.5 also. In doing so the speedometer will read incorrectly. My speedometer can be adjusted to correct for this. It may be possible that yours can also but you first need to know the manufacturer. If it is Bedee, let me know rbdtanasi at yahoo and I can send you the procedure.

If the tires you put on your coach are larger diameter than the 275, you may have a problem with the front wheel well when the tire is turned striking the top of the opening. If you install the taller tire, I would suggest you do so with the understanding there will be no charge to install and then remove them should this be a problem as you will know when the tire is first put on and you turn the wheels. Remember even if it is close, it can still hit when driving if you hit a bump.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #3

I think the Geostar is another Chinese Tire. Doubt it is a match for Toyos. They do have a website but without much information. Must be new to the market.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Thanks Rex and moisheh for your responses and sharing your experience and advise.
Rex, I went back and checked the original "build" sheet and the Diplomat "What's New for 2002 on the Diplomat" that came with the coach. There was a change in 2002 from 255 to 275 tires and our coach came with the change to 275 tires...hopefully Monaco adjusted for the speedometer difference. I can see what you mean, Rex, about the front wheel clearance. The 275's are pretty close to the air bag support bracket.
You're right, moisheh, about Geostar being a Chinese tire and there isn't much info about them. The Geostar does have a higher weight carrying capacity and 16 ply vs. 14 ply in the Toyo. The truck tire "expert" at Les Schwab advised me to expect a better wear, balance,and ride with the Toyo vs. the Geostar.
FYI, the a set of four mounted, balanced, tax, out the door here in Redding, California is $1,736 for Toyo 265/75R/22.5 M-154 and $1,476 for Geostar 275/75R/22.5 G535. The Michelins are twice the Geostars.
Thanks again for your inputs.
Schrimscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I switched to Toyo 275s on a 99 dip and was happy with them and no more rivering and the ride was as good as the G Ys , I dont think I would worry about the wear of the thread as most never get close before the 7 + yr date gets us, check the build date on your tires and if less than 7 yrs and look good i would run them, if you buy make sure that you check the build date on the new tires if older than 6 months I would not want them. I am now running Dunlop all position on our Dynasty and cant tell the difference in ride and dont believe anyone can with it aired up to the proper pressure at 100 to 110# if your butt can feel a difference it a lot more sensitive than my rear, I just looked for a good all position tire with the best price, works for me.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #6

The new Monaco International National plan with Michelin shows a price of $443.95 which includes FET for XZA2 Energy tires in 275/70R22.5.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #7

Not to steal the Thread but it is germane to many and related.
Steve, I have read bout this savings. What do I have to do to get it? I need either 295/75 or 80 in 22.5 H. Do you know the price?
thanks
Robert
Old 03-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #8
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Barrier2 you have to be a member of both FMCA and Monaco International to get the discounted price.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #9

Thanks Rex, I just wonder what the Tire savings would be for my Coach thru MI. If I can save more than the dues it would be worth my while. I was a member in the past of a number of Motor Home clubs although the Mags and newsletters were interesting with the advent of the Web they have become redundant.
Robert
Old 03-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #10

Robert,

As Rex stated membership in both Monaco International and FMCA are required. The program is just now being rolled out to the members. Michelin does not show a 295/75 size but the 295/80R22.5 in the XZA2Energy is $567.32 including FET.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote