Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2017, 06:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tire Replacement Question/Thoughts

Once again, another questions regarding my '98 HR Imperial 38 WDS -

Am considering replacing the tires ( all 6 ) on my coach. In searching for info regarding brand, tire size, inflation pressures, etc, it appears that the best brand available is the Michelin. It also appears to be the most expensive.

The coach currently has Michelin 255 80 R 22.5 that are about 4 or 5 years old and am planning a trip of about 3500 miles at the end of June. There is a lot of thread left but my concern is the age of the tires.

My question(s) is: Is there a brand that is equal to the Michelin available that is not as expensive that will give me the same quality of ride, safety, etc.....I really don't like the idea of spending $3,000.00 plus for tires.

I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago and tire dealers that will supply, mount & balance RV tires, believe it or not, are few and far between. You'd think in a metro area such as mine they'd be plentiful but that's not the case.

I know the old adage of 'you get what you pay for' but.....

Thanks
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2017, 06:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Are Michelin's the best? Maybe, maybe not. There are plenty of people who think so and a whole lot that wouldn't put them on their coach again so I think the jury is out on that one. You will get the same service out of the major brands--Goodyear, Firestone, Toyo, Continental, Bridgestone etc as you are unlikely to wear any of them out. There are certain models to avoid--like the Goodyear G670 so you should definitely do your research once you decide on a brand.

Plenty of people are also happy with their Chinese and Korean tires. I wouldn't use the Chinese tires myself, but by all reports the Korean Hangooks are good tires too. I'm using Toyo M144s and don't expect to have any problems with them over the 8 years I expect to have them on the coach. I've heard very little bad about the tire except from a batch 1-2 years back that smelled bad. The Toyo's were $2,900 for six vs $4,200 for the Michelins.

Good luck with your search.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:48 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Just curious, if your Michelins are only 4 or 5 years old, why are you replacing them? Are you having signs of dry rot cracking on the sidewalls already? If that is the case, I think I'd try a different brand.
patgreenair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyms View Post

Am considering replacing the tires ( all 6 ) on my coach. In searching for info regarding brand, tire size, inflation pressures, etc, it appears that the best brand available is the Michelin. It also appears to be the most expensive.

The coach currently has Michelin 255 80 R 22.5 that are about 4 or 5 years old and am planning a trip of about 3500 miles at the end of June. There is a lot of thread left but my concern is the age of the tires.

My question(s) is: Is there a brand that is equal to the Michelin available that is not as expensive that will give me the same quality of ride, safety, etc.....I really don't like the idea of spending $3,000.00 plus for tires.

I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago and tire dealers that will supply, mount & balance RV tires, believe it or not, are few and far between. You'd think in a metro area such as mine they'd be plentiful but that's not the case.

Thanks

In the 11 years I have owned my 14 year old coach, I have been exposed to several brands. The OEM were Goodyear Marathon and they were in service for 7 years. No problems at all. The last trip with the Goodyears was a 15,000 mile year which included a trip to Alaska. Michelin XZA2 Energy replaced the Goodyears on the steer and Bridgestone R250s on the drive and tag axles. The Michelin steers have just been replaced after 8 years of service with Continentals.

I have had zero issues with all of these tires. I got a large puncture in an inside drive tire which was obviously not the fault of the tire. I have had a TPMS system installed since the beginning.

The FMCA Michelin and now Continental tire programs give you a couple of attractive options on top tier tires but I would have no issue with using any of the major, nationally available tires.

Get out of Chicago and fine a large truck tire dealer. I have used TCI and GCR which are national chains owned by Michelin & Bridgestone respectively but sell several brands. Large regional and local dealers are good also.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:56 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used to think Michelin tires were worth the price Delta. However I think over the years the competition has closed the gap. Offering comparable quality at a lower price. A few months and several thousand miles ago I installed six Firestone FS591 tires. Very pleased with them. $2805 out the door.

I think there are several good alternatives.
I also considered and would have installed Toyo, Hankook, Yokahama, others. I went with the Firestone's due to experiences from friends, the dealer, price, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have experience with 4 brands. Goodyear G670 are a terrible tire, My current Michelin XZA's are great tires, $3770 installed and balanced with the FMCA program, and two Chinese brands, Double Coin (good) and Good Ride (worse than the Goodyears). Size does matter if you go up a size, your body may not clear the tires when the bags are deflated. Also the load range matters. My current Michelins are load range J, which I believe is equivalent to 20 ply. The load range G and H will cost less, but not as good a tire.
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgreenair View Post
Just curious, if your Michelins are only 4 or 5 years old, why are you replacing them? Are you having signs of dry rot cracking on the sidewalls already? If that is the case, I think I'd try a different brand.
I agree with patgreenair. Not sure how your tires can't be 4 or 5 years old. Have you looked at the 4-digit date code on the side of the tire? This will give you the true age of your tires so no guessing on age.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Check the dates on the side walls. Do not take anyones guess. Tires are good for aprox 7 years if not cracked or separating.

IF you need tires. Avoid Goodyear G670 and Michelin XRV. Both have issues. Join FMCA and try either the Michelin XZA Energy, or the Continental. If you need the absolute lowest price, shop the internet for Chinese tires. Most are having satifactory service from them.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:06 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Agree with Steve

No matter what tires you choose TPMS is a good idea. I am here to answer any questions you may have regarding TPMS.

Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST
TST System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:39 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have the same coach. The info plate in the compartment above the driver shows a tire size of 275 x 70 x R22.5 with a recommended tire pressure of 90. I replaced mine with Firestone FS560 (now FS561). I run mine at 100 psi
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:49 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks
Here is a link to a recent thread detailing my experience replacing the exact same tires you have:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/new-...ed-332877.html

Let me know if you have any questions, good luck!
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #12

Quote:
The coach currently has Michelin 255 80 R 22.5
Mine is the same. The equivalent size sold by every company other than Michelin is 265/75R22.5. Make sure you match the (probably G) load range. Load range H should also be OK in nearly every brand, because most (every?) manufacturer uses more pressure instead of heavier construction going from G to H. If you get lucky, the tire shop will have a portable scale that they can use to calculate the correct pressure for the load you are carrying.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks
I wouldn't worry about 4-5 year old tires unless they are showing defects such as cracking, etc. JMHO

If you decide to replace them, you can get the best price through the Michelin Advantage program from FMCA!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:01 PM   #14

We are in our 1st coach too. Our tires just hit 5 years old as we started our trip from FL to Quebec City; out of similar concerns we stopped at LOVE'S and a Flying J to have tires inspected. Both service centers checked the tires and advised they were in great shape. Michelin's website recommends when tires get 5 years old to have them periodically checked and by 7 years they suggest replacement may be warranted. I am biased on Michelin for every wheel I own.
RayJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement