Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tire rotation on motorhomes???

Noticed the right front passenger Goodyear G670 tire was wearing on the outer edge. I even felt some bumps as I ran my fingers over the outer smooth edge. Ok maybe I need new front steer tires after only 21,000 miles. Went over to my friendly tire dealer and he said "when was the last time you rotated your tires front to back and back outside to front". I said " NEVER". He said "you should do it every 5-7,ooo miles. Well at $25.00 per wheel to dismount and mount it would be around $150.00. I figured that was less than one tire so that is what I'm going to do. Has anyone else heard that RV tires should be rotated that often? My alignment is fine and shocks are GREAT etc. I will be purchasing the metal valve stems and get rid of the flexible braided stainless steel ones. de Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is it the rivering that GY is noted for having?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could be what Mr_D said, there has been a lot of discussion about it. Take look at the pictures in the attached link if your wear looks like cupping. I never have seen pictures of rivering.
MONROE SHOCKS & STRUTS :: Symptoms :: Tire Wear
Here is a link to discussion on iRV2 about rivering. In one of the posts there is a link to much better pictures and explanation of the wear.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/goody...ing-75862.html
Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't rotate, would do so if I discover a tire wearing oddly. And then in conjunction with investigation to the reason for the odd wear.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Noticed the right front passenger Goodyear G670 tire was wearing on the outer edge. I even felt some bumps as I ran my fingers over the outer smooth edge. Ok maybe I need new front steer tires after only 21,000 miles.
I started noticing unusual wear on my Goodyear G670's after reading about their tendency for 'rivering'. Perhaps it was the power of suggestion?

I knew that I'd age out way before the unusual tread wear became a serious concern.

The Goodyear's were OEM on a 2009 Monaco Diplomat. The tires were manufactured in 2008. I had started to notice unusual wear (similar to cupping) by the time they had 15,000 miles on them.

I did replace my G670's with Michelin's this past summer. A little less than 29,000 miles on the Goodyear's. They were approaching 7 years old since manufacture and I was in Montana (no sales tax) so I used the FMCA discount to replace them.

On the chance that there was some alignment problem causing the unusual wear, I had a re-alignment performed when the Michelin's were installed. The alignment was 'spot on' when the new tires were installed.

Less than 3,000 miles on the new Michelins. Way too early to notice any unusual tread wear.

I'm not sure that rotating front to back and v. is the answer with the Goodyear's.

Good luck.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I guess I should add: been RV'ing since 1959, have never rotated tires on an RV, too expensive and the tires age out long before they wear out.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
As previously mentioned in my first post on this thread everything is OK on the chassis. So my choices are rotate, buy new steer tires Hankooks, Toyos or one new G670 GY. Put Michelins on the front. Then I will have one Goodyear in good condition to give away. I'm leaning on rotating tires and see what happens. Others have done that and NO more problem and I've read others have had the same problem again. If it wasn't for all the great times we have when hitting the road I would give up this hobby. de Sanford
Old 10-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #8

On our last MH, we had 'issues' with the G670 tires and ended up doing a complete tire rotation. It was not cheap as all of the tires needed to be removed from the wheels, re-installed and balanced. That helped a lot but it was not the 'cure all'! Being that the tires were about to 'age out' a couple years later and we were getting ready for a trip to the 'lower 48' we had new Firestone tires installed all the way around. That sure helped a lot! The tires on our current MH will 'age out' in a couple years and we will put Firestone tire on it. Until then we will just watch the G670's that are on this MH.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I don't rotate, would do so if I discover a tire wearing oddly. And then in conjunction with investigation to the reason for the odd wear.
X2 You are probably looking as the results of a front end needing alignment. Even GYs should not be cupping at 21,000 miles.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
First of all I want to THANK everyone who gave me their thoughts on my delima. I will be rotating the tires, and if I have the same problem with the front right passenger tire I will purchase two Toyos for the steer axle. The one GY G670 on the left front will go to the rear and take the place of the one that was up front. The Toyo does have stiffer sidewalls then GY and Michelins. As one of my private e-mails noted gives more confidence going into tight turns. One other thing that could have caused this tire wear was constantly turning the wheels back and forth with my Sheppard Steering Box. That has been taken care of with the installation of a Weller Ross TRW steering box. I also have come to the conclusion that whatever tires you have they should provide you with good service as long as you provide them with proper maintenance. Air pressure, covered when in storage and a good tire and temperature monitors. de Sanford
Old 10-15-2014, 05:27 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sanford, We did the same... At 3+ years and 20,000 miles the right front Goodyear started "rivering" (cupping). At 4 years we had all 6 tires broken down and inspected per Goodyears recommendation to go past 5 years on the tires. They were rotated. We're now at 5+ years and 40,000 miles with no rivering and running great. We use the bead balancers and if the tire guy is careful and doesn't lose any, they can be reused.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:05 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you Hal I hope that I also will have the same results as you have had. For tire balancing I have a ring that is behind the tire that does the centrifugal balancing. In the rear between the duals there is also one of those wheel balancers. I just ordered new chrome high pressure stems. They will be installed during the dismount and mount of the tires during rotation. The Performance Tire Shop (that is their name) will refill the tires with nitrogen. Costco uses nitrogen, but their new units only go up to 80 lbs due to "safety" is what I was told. Good news is all new Costcos will be installing a diesel pump. Older Costco will retrofit a diesel pump at their gas stations when the permits are acquired and contracts awarded for installation. That will be my fuel station of choice. de Sanford
Old 10-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #13

I have a mix of 2 dates on my 8 G670 tires (295 80 22.5). Fronts and a dual replaced in late 2010. Haven't been able to read date code of the inside dual where the outside one is a 2010, but its tread wear is more than the outside 2010 tire and about the wear on the other original 4 tires at 50k miles. I can't really believe the previous owner mixed tires on a dual, but for now I'll assume that. Maybe he had a flat on the dual and noticed the fronts were rivering, who knows....

Anyway, with 3 known tires with a few more years/miles left (and the others aging out), I was thinking about moving the one outside dual to the tag as that would move intact on the rim, and take the best (least rivered) front and remount onto other tag rim. That leaves one extra tire maybe I could carry for "just in case roadside assist has no tire" and 6 new tires. I had been leaning toward the FMCA discount on the Michelin XZA2 Energy but others have mentioned generically that Michelin side walls crack soon. But I see rivering on the front Goodyears now and perhaps that is why they were previously replaced. So maybe GY is out. If Goodrich is owned by Michelin, do they have the same problem? My known weight on the front is close enough to 7500 per side to plan on that. At least with Michelin, 120 psi will do versus 125 on Goodyear and the 5 psi difference is easier to fill. Maybe this is why Goodyear rivers on this coach. Overall, we are close to 46,000 lbs so need a strong tire. What is personal experience with this particular XZA2 tire?

If it was your coach, what would you do?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Sanford: Are they still putting Monroes on the Monaco coaches? If so have you looked at the shocks as possible cause of tire wear?

I'm definitely not a fan of Goodyear and I had the same exact wear pattern on both of the front tires and was starting to get that wear pattern on inside of duals. This was at 15,000 miles. Replaced the tires with Michelins and no complaints. Now when I see coaches with Goodyears on them I take a close look at the tire wear and I'm amazed at how many have that problem.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes