RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #1

Question Tire size question

I recently purchased a 1999 executive and the tires are 3 years old. They are 295/70/22.5's and are 'G' rated. The placard behind the drivers seat calls for 'H' rated tires. Should I be worried ? Haven't been able to weigh the coach yet, but front axel is rated 13K lbs., rear is rated 23K lbs. I have been motor homing for 40 yrs, but this is my biggest, heaviest Motorhome. Thoughts ?
Jon.

bigjon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon42 View Post
I recently purchased a 1999 executive and the tires are 3 years old. They are 295/70/22.5's and are 'G' rated. The placard behind the drivers seat calls for 'H' rated tires. Should I be worried ? Haven't been able to weigh the coach yet, but front axel is rated 13K lbs., rear is rated 23K lbs. I have been motor homing for 40 yrs, but this is my biggest, heaviest Motorhome. Thoughts ?
Jon.
If you were to push your tires to the limit (driving 70+ mph) and Load "all" your stuff and the kitchen sing (lol) into your MoHo, then I'd say:" Run and get the H rated tires." But you've already had these for 3 yrs, nothing has happened, obviously, so I would just continue to use them, until year 4 or 5 and then get the H rated tires. Again, don't "over Pack" your MoHo, keep it Light and don't race down the road, you should be fine. ON the other hand if you find some H rated tires at a great price (before Year 4 or 5), jump on them and buy them. I found some 18 wheeler H rated Ironman tires 6 for $1800 out the door, I just had to jump all over that sale. lol. Good luck.

RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
If you were to push your tires to the limit (driving 70+ mph) and Load "all" your stuff and the kitchen sing (lol) into your MoHo, then I'd say:" Run and get the H rated tires." But you've already had these for 3 yrs, nothing has happened, obviously, so I would just continue to use them, until year 4 or 5 and then get the H rated tires. Again, don't "over Pack" your MoHo, keep it Light and don't race down the road, you should be fine. ON the other hand if you find some H rated tires at a great price (before Year 4 or 5), jump on them and buy them. I found some 18 wheeler H rated Ironman tires 6 for $1800 out the door, I just had to jump all over that sale. lol. Good luck.
Can I ask where was sale. Big rig 285 75 24.5 for mine.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Never seen a 295/70/22.5 so it’s probably a 80, not 70. All a H rating does is increase the pressure above 115/120. Since you only need 95-100 psi for the max your axles can handle, stop worrying about it. Even if they are 295/75/22.5 you would not need more than 115 psi...a G rated tire.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:34 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
What brand tire are they?? I believe they are probably 395/75/22.5. Weigh your coach to know exactly what each tire is carrying, I'd be concerned about the front.

At some point Monaco did increase the tire size for the executive (2003), my 2002 Windsor has 295/80/22.5. But by that time the rigs had multiple slides.

If they are a name brand tire you are probably OK but from experience, going to a lower rated tire didn' twork out for me. We had a Class C with Firestones, this was at the time there was a problem with the tread separating from the tire. Guess what we at this happen and needed tires fast, the dealer only had a tire one weight grade lower, it lasted about 200 miles.

At minimum I would suggest you invest in a good TPMS, if possible get one that monitors temp also. Having the correct pressure is critical, especially if the tire size is marginal.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:14 PM   #6

I have the same problem on my 2000 Monaco Executive. I bought it 2 years ago and it had G rated 295/75/R22.5's. Size is right but they're supposed to be H rated. I've never weighed it, but the tag says the front can weigh 13,000#. I run 110 psi in the front and the chart says that's good for 6,370# which is slightly less than necessary. 110 psi is the max for my G rated tires because they have fewer plies than the H rated tires. It's always made me a little nervous but I always keep close tabs on the tires and make sure they're at max pressure and not getting hot. New tires are definitely on my wish list. I will probably up the size to 295/80R22.5 so I can feel more comfortable running them at 115 psi.
Al Brooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #7

Smile

Absolutely agree with your take, Al. I actually went out and took pictures and I have the same 295/75/22.5's, G rated. I run 110 lbs in the front and 100 lbs in the rear. I have no tag. I too watch pressure and temps, I currently use a laser temp gauge at every stop. Just a little concerned as coach tag calls for 'H' rated. Tires are Firestones, 14 ply rating, FS561's, with a born date of 1316. Will probably keep them on drivers, and put new 'H' rated on steers.
bigjon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Can I ask where was sale. Big rig 285 75 24.5 for mine.
LOL. I'm in south Tx. I bought them im a lil po dunk town 30 miles from San Antonio. The thing is, and I tell lots of folks this: It takes lots of money to do business and stay in business in your Big Cities, so look at the mom and pop shops OUTSIDE the big cities, you can still hagle with those folks. Discount tires, QuickLane, Sears, NTB have all proven to be without merit (I'm trying to be diplomatic), scoundrels (oops there I go). Try it, it doesn't cost anything. Good luck.
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #9

My sister and the rest of her family live right outside of San Antonio as well .I doubt I could talk them into bringing me up two semi tires next time they come up. Payton's chorizo is a must though.

153stars is offline   Reply With Quote