Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #1

Tires

can i change the tire size from 255/70r22.5 to 275/70r22.5 and would my 2007 37 pdq monaco cayman handle better ?
steve rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #2

The Michelin web site gives the specs on the tires , the 275s are just over an inch taller than the 255s, fit the same rim width, 7.5" or 8.25 ", but require slightly more spacing on the duals 11.9" vs 11.6" so it is important to find that info before you start considering the change .
You need to know your current rim spacing and if your coach will tolerate a taller tire without tearing the fenders off on a tight turn.
The 275s with a max load rating of 6940 lbs at 130 psi
vs the 255s max of 5510 @ 120 are definitely a stronger tire , could give an improvement to certain handling conditions.
KEY word being certain !
What handling condition are you dealing with or trying to correct?
Old 05-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #3

Steve
We have just recently changed tires on our 09 Cayman 38 SBD from the 255 to 295, or two sizes larger. So recent I can't tell you much other than they feel much less "hard". We have already done the Source trailing arms and ride enhancement kit, which are IMHO very necessary and very worthwhile. Also, had a four corner weighing that you really need as the RR4R Caymans are notoriously heavier on the passenger rear--ours was 2700 lbs. Without the four corner weighing, you will be under inflated on the passenger duals=blowout. Have you done the trailing arms and ride enhancement kit? If not, I would look to sell and purchase maybe an 8 bag used Monaco, as they are the best buy for the buck that I know.
Frank W.
flynnwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #4

hi frank thanks for that , did you have to change the wheels , and what was the tire size that you have now , I've done nothing to the air bags ,and yes the rear arms are new
steve rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #5

Steve
Hate to be brutal, but it is what it is. Bridgestone Ecopia 295/75R22.5 Very big tires, 3.9 inches larger in diameter, but they fit on stock wheels and do not rub. Less than 20 miles on them so all I can tell you is the ride seems smoother and the bumps not as hard. If you want to keep your Cayman, IMHO Source Ride Enhancement kit is more important/helpful. But I doubt you will get your money back, so only if you really want to keep your Cayman for a long time. Otherwise, go with an 8 bagger Monaco. The RR4R is a shame, and I don't know that it would be worth ($) your while to make it satisfactory. Our situation is different, we bought new at a bankruptcy price from Camping World and are in it for the long haul. I wish you luck and if you have any questions, feel free to contact me off-line at flynwalter@yahoo.com
Frank W. 09 Cayman 38 SBD
Lake City, Florida
Old 05-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #6

I change from 255 to 275 in my previous 2000 Dip, added Koni shocks make a major improvement in ride and handling, go for it.

Bob B
2005 HP Specter
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Keep in mind changing tire sizes will also change your gearing. Speedo and odometer will read slow with taller tires.
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:40 AM   #8

Jlturner
Shop took care of that with a laptop so speedo now reads correctly. Same software can actually set your top speed--so you could not go above 65 for instance, amongst other things. Of course upping tire diameter will effectively change the rear end ratio, but we are not talking giant mudders and a lift kit here. Thanks.
Frank Walter 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida
Old 05-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #9

Cayman/Neptune drivers
We drove 157 miles to Carrabelle, Florida today and the new big Bridgestone Ecopia 295/75R22.5 tires (up from 255) made much more of a difference than I had hoped. Ride is much smoother and bumps less jarring. But we were not on an interstate on this trip. In fact we had trouble staying in 6th gear due to not enough speed. When we were able to cruise at 62mph in 6th gear, I am guessing (due to imprecision of tachometer) we ran about 100 rpm lower than before the tire change. This would be the effective change in rear end by increasing the tire diameter. So far no downside to the change and a great improvement in RR4R chassis ride. We are really excited. I should repeat we have the Source trailing arms as well as Ride Enhancement kit installed. Installed Dyna Beads when mounting the new tires.
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida

Tags
tires