Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone for all the info. Still debateing to go with firestone 561s or spend the extra and go with the michelins
geo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 08:21 AM   #16

I went with Firestones 561 275-70-22.5 now have 5,000 miles good tire! $2600 mount and balance..

Hurk
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:35 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Last year I bought Bridgestone R280 steer tires. Excellent handling, quiet ride, nice ride. Previously I had Dunlop steer tires. I thought they were excellent tires. I have Dunlop driver tires. They are 7 years old and look like they are brand new. I know of one coach owner who is very pleased with his Firestone tires.

I don't get all the hype about Michelin tires. I've used them, and didn't find them to be any better than any other brand name tire. I think it's all a bunch of marketing hooey. In fact, I don't think good tires should crack up the way so many Michelin tires are doing. As far as I'm concerned, Goodyear RV tires are junk. I think the Goodyear truck tires are OK.

Not trying to start a brand war here. This is simply one man's opinion. Others may vary.

One thing I know for sure. For safety on the road keep your tires fresh.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #18

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Grim View Post
Im in the same boat as the OP. I have an 04 Dip and was thinking of upgrading to the 295 after some reading. The problem is the more I read the more confused I get. Load ratings, steering vs rears vs all arounds.... Prices range greatly. I looked at that Toyo link above but I know what size will not fit mine, the bigger tire on that has a lower than I "THINK" we need load rating...

Tire selection doesn't need to be confusing.

Start with knowing your actual tire load needs. As a minimum get individual axle weights from certified truck scale when the RV is full of fuel, food, clothes, people and other "stuff" you normally carry. Assume you have a side to side lweight split of 45/55 (NOTE individual 4 corner weights are definitely better as you don't have to guess on weight split)

Using the load on the heavy end of an axle consult Load & Inflation tables. (NOTE almost all tires have same load capacity with only a few Michelin being a few pounds different) This gives your MINIMUM Inflation Pressure.

Add10% to that min infl pressure to learn your Cold Inflation Pressure

Knowing your load capacity needs and the size you can fit you select the Load Range (ply rating) that will carry the inflation you plan on using as your CIP.

For normal RV use "all position" tread pattern will work just fine.

Now with size and load range known you can start shopping.

You can check my blog for more details and info if needed. or stop in at one of my RV tire seminars .
Old 04-09-2016, 05:42 AM   #19

Just put a set of new XZ2A's on the SIG after 20 years with the original Michelin's. (yes I said 20 years,,, I know,, I know,,, don't try this ) The old ones are to be used on one of our on site dump trucks. The proof is there,,, Michelin only.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:37 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We put a set of six Michelin XZEs on our coach...higher weight rating, stiffer sidewall, a bit rougher ride, but worth it. I have never seen tires that can throw as much rainwater off the road as these. They track really well. Love em.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:01 AM   #21

I just bought a set of 6 Toyos for just over $2700. I have used Toyos on Blue Bird Wanderlodges, a much heavier coach. Great tires.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I use Michelin on my car and pickup, as i know they will last and give good service for the extra cost.
I put Firestone 561's on my coach and they will time out the same as the Michelins that cost a whole lot more, and give the same amount of good ride and service.
In my trucking years I used alot of Michelin tires as well as other brands. Other than cheap chinese junk I have had great service out of several brands. If you don't mind throwing extra money out just to have Michelins they are a great tire.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Michelins are highly overrated and extremely over priced. Michelin has a lot of people brain washed.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:37 PM   #24

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1460334972.609004.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	123753Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1460334985.813893.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	123754

These are the new ones I just put on. Check out that build date!

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Joe PLAZEK
Ontario Canada
Old 04-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Consumer Reports magazine tested 23 affordable all-season replacement tires, seven of them made in China, reported Gene Petersen, tire program leader for the magazine. Of those seven, six finished in the top half of the field, he noted.
They included tires from brands such as Toyo, Cooper, Pirelli, and Kumho. “Because these tires are being built with the companies whose names are on the tires, the same specifications that would apply to a tire made in the U.S. would apply to a tire made in China,” said Petersen.
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires