RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2008, 12:28 AM   #1

getting ready for new tires! coach came with 275/70/22.5 goodyears anybody using michelins on the o2 rr8r chassis? mcc said i could switch to the taller 80 series tires without any problems. any thoughts? jim

beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2008, 12:28 AM   #2

getting ready for new tires! coach came with 275/70/22.5 goodyears anybody using michelins on the o2 rr8r chassis? mcc said i could switch to the taller 80 series tires without any problems. any thoughts? jim

Old 01-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #3

no idea's
Old 01-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
OK, well since you asked for thoughts, here's a few...

1. I would definetly recommend upsizing the tires from your current 275/70's. You will find that the coach will ride better, and larger tires will bear more weight.

2. The diameter of your current tires is 37.6". 275/80R22.5 tires will be around 40". That will cause your speedometer to read about 3-4 mph slower than you are really going. Not necessarily a problem - just something you need to be aware of.

3. If you have enough room to take the extra width, you could go with 295x75R22.5 tires and get almost an inch more rubber on the road for the same diameter.

4. Michelin XRV's are almost as expensive as the Goodyear G670 RV's, but probably not as good. If you want to save some money get a regional all-position truck tire from Firestone or Bridgestone (like the Bridgestone R250F). You don't necessarily need an "RV Tire" with extra UV protection as you'll have to replace them in another 6 years anyway.

5. Most of today's truck steering tires have a decoupling groove. However, many tire dealers do not recommend tires with a decoupling groove for motorhomes due to the uneven road surface we sometimes travel. (That's why the GY G670's don't have a decoupling groove.) But for tires without the decoupling groove, you should add an extra 10 lbs. of air above what the weight chart shows to prevent cupping of the outside edge of the tread. (For more info about the decoupling groove, see this message.)

6. Discuss tire options with a good truck tire dealer. They know much more about tires than motorhome dealers do, and will give you the pro's and con's of various choices.

Those are my thoughts on the subject. Feel free to take 'em or leave 'em. Good luck in your search.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Don't forget that each wheel also has a certified maximum weight rating. So be sure to compare this rating with the tire rating.

CC
Old 01-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Why do you think that the Michelin XRV isn't as good as the Goodyear G670 RVs?
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cb5300:
Why do you think that the Michelin XRV isn't as good as the Goodyear G670 RVs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't know - maybe I should not have said that. It's just my impression based on the number of complaints I've seen posted over the years about the XRV's. In all fairness, I have to say that I had XRV's on my last coach for 7 years before I started to get nervous about the age of the sidewalls and bought all new tires. They served me well. That said, I think that there are options for less expensive tires that are just as good.

You don't see many complaints about the Goodyear G670's except for tread cupping around the edges. That happens when people go strictly by the inflation charts, which is not adequate pressure for the Goodyear tires. I keep mine at 15 pounds higher than the chart. (10 pounds is probably sufficient.)

Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote