Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2007, 04:53 AM   #1

Good morning,
Frosty and clear in Southern Indiana this morning.
While in Tennesee a RV salesman told me that because that state doesn't have a propety tax that a lot of people from a neighboring state buy a piece of property there, have a PO box address assigned to the property and then title the motorhome in the state of Tennesee to eliminate the property taxes they pay on their motorhome in their homestate.
I have seen some small sales flyers in some of the rv magazines refering to this but I'm just wondering if anyone does it. Seems like a good concept if its leagal. Anyone here thats done this or knows anyone that has?
No I do not work for the government. I'm truly interested in this as my home state has property tax laws that are ridiculous.
Appreciate any replies.
Letsgoagain
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2007, 04:53 AM   #2

Good morning,
Frosty and clear in Southern Indiana this morning.
While in Tennesee a RV salesman told me that because that state doesn't have a propety tax that a lot of people from a neighboring state buy a piece of property there, have a PO box address assigned to the property and then title the motorhome in the state of Tennesee to eliminate the property taxes they pay on their motorhome in their homestate.
I have seen some small sales flyers in some of the rv magazines refering to this but I'm just wondering if anyone does it. Seems like a good concept if its leagal. Anyone here thats done this or knows anyone that has?
No I do not work for the government. I'm truly interested in this as my home state has property tax laws that are ridiculous.
Appreciate any replies.
Letsgoagain
Old 01-20-2007, 08:03 AM   #3

I have been wondering the same thing. I do not have a clue even though we have a small lot in Tellico Plains. The next time I go to Madisonville, Tn. I wonder if the county tag/title office could give me the straight information? If I get an answer I will get back to the forum, if someone else knows please let both of us know exactly how to do it.

I do know that TN has a high sales tax rate but that varies by county/city and it is a one time charge.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Letsgoagain:
...in Tennesee a RV salesman told me that because that state doesn't have a propety tax that a lot of people from a neighboring state buy a piece of property there, have a PO box address assigned to the property and then title the motorhome in the state of Tennesee to eliminate the property taxes they pay on their motorhome in their homestate... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mail Call (out of Cleveland TN - Bradley County) made us sign a Federal (post office) form where we had to state that we lived in our RV (including tag number). And a PO Box does not "count" as an offical address. I think you may run into trouble if you are caught driving a TN tagged vehicle with another state's driver's license. I really don't know but it is the lack of a property tax and the low tag rates are part of the reason we decided to keep TN as our residence even though we dumped our house. We have always intended on picking up a piece of property to park the RV on and store all our stuff. While it's cheaper than our last "storage unit" (house) the combination of storage units and the $$ I pay my mom to keep her from complaining too much about a partially stripped down bus parked at the cabin is still too much every month. We start looking at property this summer. But I think we are going to need to pick up another piece down here in GA too. Still would be TN residents though (GA has a state income tax )
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:09 AM   #5

This is also common between Georgia and Florida, with Florida having no property tax on motorhomes. If you have an RV lot or any deeded piece of property in FL with an address you can do this. One caviat, you must have proof of insurnace in the state you will be licensing it in and your company may not do business in every state. There are different rates by state also.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:58 PM   #6

Letsgoagain I just did this using Montana as the home state. To make it work you set the coach up in a LLC with a address in that state. You and the wife own the LLC but not subject to sales or property tax because LLC is not in this state.

2007 Monaco Dyansty 42
Greg & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Greg & Linda have it right...set up an LLC in Montana. From what I was told, it costs about $1,500. I chose not to go that route...I live in Arizona and was told by several that the state is really starting to scrutinize out of state license plates...they finally woke up to how much revenue they are losing. With the heavy investment in my DP, saving a few thousand in taxes seemed to me to be not worth it.
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:07 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure, but can't you do the same thing thru the ESCAPEES Club ? I think you use one of their addresses as "your" permanent one.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:05 AM   #9

If you have noticed, there is a push to tie all state DMV systems together. This will have some benefits for things such as finding deadbeat dads, but it will also allow searches of registrations that don't have the same state as the drivers license. If you register out of state, you would be wise to consider getting your license in the same state or you may find that your home state decides you are doing this to evade taxes. They will want their money when they do. Stan