Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I am starting this thread to move a post since we have one in Mods that doesn't belong there...
MonacoMama

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I am starting this thread to move a post since we have one in Mods that doesn't belong there...
MonacoMama

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #3

AKBrick,

Interesting that you mention this SANI-CON system (I used to call it the INSANE system) and your modification.

I had thought that this system was the greatest thing in the world, until the Macerator metal blade got jammed and would not turn over.

Techies and other blogs will tell you to turn the metal bolt at the rear of the pump (impossible on my '06 Endeavor as the rear faces right against the back of the installation. The only way to turn it is to tear out the whole pump).

In desperation I finally tore out the whole stupid system and replaced it a proper 3" fitting and 3" hose fitted with a outside flush system connected to a green hose. Needless to say, the black tank was open and I had to deal with a fitting and 24" of 3" hose of waste material...yuk!

Man, did that Black Tank ever drain good for the first time. The stuff was out of there in no time flat. It now fills up better, is easier to drain and I don't have to worry about getting a good flush...which was near impossible with the slowness of that 1" hose and the pump.

I never could get my head around a waste fitting going from 3" to 1". It never did make any sense, and it still doesn't. One can not have too much speed when it comes vacating a blank tank system.

Now, the only problem is storing the 20 foot 3" hose and the fittings!
Chef Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Well for about seven years I have been using the Sewer Solution dump unit and have had no trouble with it at all. Never had it clog or fail to expel all the black tank contents. Over the years I replaced the system with another of the same as the first just wore out. Was told by many folks that it took way to much water and I should get a Sani-Con. I hate the 3" hose. The Sewer Solution is the cleanest way to dump I had found. I now have a newly installed Sani-Con system . . . so we shall see if it is really better than the Sewer Solution. At least it will be better as it is all hooked up and all I have to do is place the dump end of the hose in the sewer outlet. The Sewer Solution had to be disconnected after each dump. The Sani-Con also uses lots of water and in fact I see no difference in the amount it will require vs the Sewer Solution. Sure hope I like it.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chef Guy:
Techies and other blogs will tell you to turn the metal bolt at the rear of the pump (impossible on my '06 Endeavor as the rear faces right against the back of the installation. The only way to turn it is to tear out the whole pump). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't think you can blame the makers of SaniCon for the poor HR installation of the unit or the fact that FOD entered the two year old pump and jammed it. We didn't use ours for the first four months just to make sure the tanks were clear of FOD, but just like you it doesn't mean FOD still couldn't be introduced into the system.
Below is a photo of the back side of the unit and the placard about turning the shaft with a screw driver through the small hole in the back of the unit. The only way I could access our unit would be from the front after removing some panels not an easy access at all.

I enjoy the 1" hose so much, I would remove the unit from the side wall, if necessary, to get to the back of the unit with a screw driver. So while I enjoy the benefit of the 1" hose, I realize there's also a risk that goes along with it that I'm willing to take.
CC
Old 09-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We ordered our Monarch with the Sani-Con have have enjoyed using the 1" hose vs the 3" standard one. We seem to never get a campsite where the sewer, water and electrical connections are located near the MH connections. Instead of an additional 10' and 20' 3" hose, I carry 1 5' and 1 10' hose to connect to the Sani-Con hose.

I wonder Chef Guy, why the flush system on the black tank would not flush all the waste out of the hose to the Sani-Con?

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I carry a 100'x 3/4" garden hose and it will dump anywhere I can find to stick it in. I run it up and over the 6' fence at my cousin's and across his yard and into his sewer clean out. I have been using macerators for 20 years and I swear by them.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I really like our Sani-con. I did have a post sometime last February about our Sani-con getting jammed by a screw that had fallen in the black tank at the factory. Luckily I mostly had grey water in the 3 inch hose going to the Sani-con. The way ours is positioned, I had to pull the unit out to get to the back of it to turn the impeller screw. The hardest part of getting the whole thing out of the wet bay were the long winded screws that held the unit to the floor of the bay. They were very hard to get at.

I haven't had any problems with it since that little fiasco. It's very easy to use and also clean. I've never used one in my other motorhomes and was a little leary about it at first until I got used to it. Once I got past the short learning curve it was a piece of cake.

AKBrick
Old 09-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #9
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Like AK, I had a long screw jam the impeller of the SaniCon pump. The discharge hose was full of umpah so I hooked my green hose to the hose fitting on the waste discharge head, opened the black tank valve and run clean water until the black tank was about 2/3 full. I just pulled the front fitting off the pump and there was the screw crosswise in the pump impeller. The system was completely clean after flushing it with the hose so I didn't have any umpah to deal with. That was a year ago and it's been great ever since. That was an excellent idea of using the 3" for a while to be certain the FOD placed in the tank by Monaco workers has been flushed completely.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We've only had ours for 3 months, but after the short, messy learning curve we (I should say I) love it. The Mrs stays away when I go into dump mode. I've even demo'd it at a few Flying J's for an interested but small crowd. Charging admission might be a good way to reduce the cost of fuel. And when I'm in a hurry I just hook-up the old 3 inch and do it the old fashion way. Great system by me!
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
It is beginning to sound like Monaco intentionally puts a large screw into every black water tank, before it leaves the factory.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #12

Besides FOD..

Personally I'm done with public dumps wherever possible. My grinder allows me to dump at the house to the exterior cleanout 50'away and uphill. A slinky can't do that.

Rule #1: Make sure you have a really fat cable to the battery. If the pump loads up and stalls you're gonna have a bad day. I run 8GA to the house buss and the pump never varies speed at all.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Like a lot of the others, I like the 1" hose much better than the 3". I don't have the issue with the motor because I installed it myself. I bought the motor off ebay, new and the other parts from my local Home Depot. I had a problem with going from 3" to 1" the way SaniCon had it so I used a PVC adapter to drop the size down. I also added a 15 min timer to it so I can simply turn it on and let it do its thing. I don't like the public dumps and it's easy to run a 100' hose from the coach to my clean out at home or to a CG restroom. My stinky slinky never could have done that...Dennis
Executive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:42 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Personally I'm done with public dumps wherever possible. My grinder allows me to dump at the house to the exterior cleanout 50'away and uphill. A slinky can't do that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That says it all for me. No more paying to dump or waiting in line to dump. Just dump at home into my clean out

2008 Monaco Cayman 38PBD
Up N Flames is offline   Reply With Quote