RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2015, 06:49 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Call us foolish then, because we still have fun looking

actually made some mods to the current one that we liked on others...

but don't think we will change the rv (again!) for a very long time we like this one so much....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2015, 07:22 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
We had a 1991 Beaver Contessa with the 300HP CAT engine for seven years prior to purchasing our 2003 Dynasty Baroness in early 2007. We looked for better than nine months before stumbling across our current coach.

I was looked at 1998-1999 CC Magna and Affinity as well as Monaco Executive and Signatures. Our "needs" list consisted of tag axle, Aqua-Hot, 10kW genset, triple roof A/C and heat pumps along with side radiator and easy engine access and we wanted a semi-monocoque chassis all wrapped in a 40 foot coach, I didn't want anything longer because of our driveway and the trailer we tow. We were actually only looking for one slide in those model years and these models were hard to find with a tag axle in that size and years.

I never even looked at the Dynasty because I wanted the bigger engine/transmission. After nine months of looking we almost came to the realization in order to get several of the items we were going to have to step to a 42' which I was not real happy about. Our dealer gave me a call and told me he found an 03 Dynasty with three slides that had everything we were looking for. I was concerned about the newer model year than what we had budgeted for and he said it was negotiable. I explained my concern about the "smaller" engine and he told me take it for a drive and decide for myself.

I hooked it up to our then 24' enclosed race trailer loaded with race toys, tools and fuel and headed for a large mountain pass locally. It performed very well and my wife loved the interior.

We ended up negotiating a pretty good deal on an "as is" basis because it needed some attention due to the original owners neglect. However, it did have the 10kW Onan QD and triple roof A/C units w/heat pumps along with Aqua-Hot. A combination that I have not yet seen in another 40' Dynasty. That was 8 years ago and over 50k miles ago. It now has 102k miles on the odometer and runs like a top. I have been very happy with the Monaco/Roadmaster chassis and coach. I also have a couple of friends that have Country Coaches and they too are well built, neither of them have tag axles though which was one of the must haves on our list due to tongue weight of our race trailer. Actually the Dynasty handled our 24' enclosed race trailer so well that a year later in 2008 we special ordered our 26' Haulmark Edge race trailer with some additions and several thousand pounds more, it still handles the trailer fantastic.

Mike.

zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:40 AM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Your post made me go look for a hierarchy of the Monaco line
(so I too would know where our nice Dip sits, and really would like to know what the 'top' has that ours doesn't - it's loaded - I thought aqua-hot was the only thing our 43 footer didn't have!)

Found this posted somewhere in here and dunno if it is correct, but here it is:
* Signature
* Executive
* Dynasty
* Camelot

* Diplomat
* Knight
* Cayman
* LaPalma

* Monarch
* Covina
* Riptide
* Montclair B+
What about the Windsor?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
What about the Windsor?

Joe,

When your Windsor was built, it was just below the Dynasty and was on the S Series semi monocoque chassis. Then in '03 the Windsor was moved to the RR8S chassis. The last year the Windsor was built was '06. The Windsor was very well liked by owners. Monaco could have put the Windsor on a tag chassis either S Series or RR10S but it was too close to the Dynasty. When the Windsor was dropped, the Camelot/Spector twins moved into that spot.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Joe,

When your Windsor was built, it was just below the Dynasty and was on the S Series semi monocoque chassis. Then in '03 the Windsor was moved to the RR8S chassis. The last year the Windsor was built was '06. The Windsor was very well liked by owners. Monaco could have put the Windsor on a tag chassis either S Series or RR10S but it was too close to the Dynasty. When the Windsor was dropped, the Camelot/Spector twins moved into that spot.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Your right Steve. I would put the earlier Windsor's right there with the Dynasty with the only real difference being the tag axle.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Your right Steve. I would put the earlier Windsor's right there with the Dynasty with the only real difference being the tag axle.

Mike.

I certainly wasn't in the room when the decision was made to put some distance between the Dynasty and the Windsor. Up until '03 the Windsor and the HR Imperial were twins. In the HR lineup there were just two coaches on the S Series chassis. Monaco left the Imperial on the S Series with a tag axle and it became a twin of the Dynasty.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #35

Smile Monaco coach is my choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bairdmiller View Post
This post is to those that chose to buy a used Monaco coach. Did you compare Country Coach to Monaco and if you did what encouraged you to buy Monaco?
I am researching the used market and I am narrowing it down to these two. I would prefer to invest in a unit prior to the requirement for DEF which is 2008 I believe.
Thank you in advance.
I bought a 94 Monaco dynasty about I year ago have since then taken 2 trips with it with no problems except levelers. Roadmaster chassis is great. Does not have slid out's and. That makes me happy. It's just me and my wife who travel and. This couch is just great for us. Has everything in it down to washer and dryer. Bob
Momaco94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:47 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Used Monaco

We recently purchased a 2003 Monaco Windsor after choosing between two similar vintage Beavers and a Country Coach. All are 40 footers and had similar mileage. We chose the Windsor as it had factory wood floors and was beautifully put together. While being 12 years old the fit and finish did not make it feel 'old'. I really like the air-ride suspension and the self-levelling. It drives very well and is very comfortable to be in. I think we will be happy with it for a long time to come.
Dunbarthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #37

Likewise, we bought a 2007 Monaco Knight when I found the right seller. Good maintenance records and a few minor things wrong that I am working to fix slowly. We moved from a Tiffin gasser and think the build quality is similar in both (fairly good). The support from both companies when calling for advice has been outstanding. We couldn't anyway afford something similar if buying new and have been very happy. By the way, we got an 06 engine in our 07 without any of the silly add ons being mandated for newer ones. Be patient and wait for the right deal.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:48 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Your pecking order on the Monaco Coaches is right on JohnBoyToo. As for the Windsor, I believe the Camelot replaced it so the Windsor and Camelot are the same on the pecking order.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
When I started looking to move from my gas Bounder to a DP last year, I thought I knew what my short list was..Country Coach and Tiffin. Budget put me in the Phaeton ('07 - '10) and the CC Inspire ('06 - '08). Looked at many and via discussions in online forums and in person at RV parks, it appeared that for many Tiffin owners, having "Bob Tiffin stands behind his products" was the most important thing. (Read as spend weeks at Camp Red Bay.) Seriously, in talking with ANY Tiffin owner, that's one of the first 3 statements commonly made.

The CC models I looked at in person were always top notch, seemed more substantial than other coaches in their category, very solid. However the interior appointments seemed more out of date (lots of carpet, fabric furniture, etc) Not trying to step on anyone's toes here, but that's not what we wanted, and yes I know I could send it to the shop and get all that replaced. But again, that's not what I wanted to do. And these were the bottom of the pecking order CC's and the top of our budget. Additionally when asking existing owners about the CC models, many mentioned "radiator repair" and "wet PTO" problems.

While shopping, I started to see the Monaco/HR products that offered what appeared to be more coach for much less $$$ and the owners didn't seem to have these types of ongoing major issues, particularly with the RR8R chassis. And as someone already mentioned, the styling and paint schemes are attractive to us. So, now we are the owners of a '08 HR Endeavor 40PDQ (same as the Diplomat) and so far loving it!

Key criteria for us was budget, floor plan, and condition. We think this Endeavor is a good balance/value on all of them. And it is a top of the line Endeavor when it was built with all of the available options.

Disclaimer: just my opinion based on what we want and think is important...your mileage may vary. Come back and ask me in a year or two what I think.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
When I considered the Monaco products, I focussed in on the S-Series chassis. You can get all bothered about Cummins vs DD vs Cat, but in they end the will all out live you, so get over it.
I'll dispute that! The '07 EPA version ISX may not! Ours has had three turbo's and two top end jobs at 45,000 miles. The last one was 2,600 miles after we bought it and Cummins only paid $10,400 of the $33,000+.
Wonderful power and tremendous engine brake and good fuel mileage for the rigs weight (50,000#'s as loaded and 7.6 mpg overall) but reliability is an issue. Cummins NW in Portland OR know of four that have had the same failure, 2 Class 8 trucks and 2 MH's
I also know of a '08 that was bought in not running condition. New owner spent $20,000 at a Cummins shop and 20 miles after getting it back a rod went through the case and caused ANOTHER $44,000 in damage. Cummins refused to participate in any of the cost.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:58 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Mr. D
Just like automobiles where there are "lemons" diesel engines have the same thing.

I worked in the mining industry and over my career I was responsible for the purchase and maintenance of fleets of equipment whose value usually exceeded $25M in rolling stock. Most equipment performed as expected but every once in a while we would receive a piece of equipment that would not live up to expectations. Major components ( engine, transmission, converter) were always the thing that caused the excessive downtime.

Your engine is definitely an outlier as far as quality and dependability. At some point you would expect a company to stand up and take responsibility for it. At some point in time, if you are inclined to keep this coach, I would seriously consider looking for a used engine to put in it.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:03 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
I have had 10 coaches, the last 2 Monacos, an 05 Diplomat 38PDQ and an 01 Holiday Rambler Scepter, and Monaco is our coach of choice, but the Country Coaches are also very good. Be sure to compare equal coaches i.e A Monaco Windsor to the same level Country Coach. They all make entry level through Deluxe models.

monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, purchase