RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
I talked to a guy who had a Chevy Suburban as a towed vehicle. I commented that it must be a pain to stop the thing and he raised the hood and pointed out an add-on behind the master cylinder. It is connected to the RV through (I think) a hydraulic line and he said it worked wonderfully. Since I have never understood how a brake-buddy could work effectively (try using the brakes on a Jeep GC without the engine running), I figured this must be a great item. Of course I got the brand name and all that and then promptly forgot it, does anyone here know what kind of system this could be?

Now, I have towed the Jeep without an auxiliary braking system and know this is frowned upon (for good reason). I do wish to add a brake system of some kind. Not sure a $1200, push-against-the-seat BrakeBuddy is the way to go though.

Comments, suggestions,?
(Flame retardant suit is on and my skin is thick, fire away).

RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
I talked to a guy who had a Chevy Suburban as a towed vehicle. I commented that it must be a pain to stop the thing and he raised the hood and pointed out an add-on behind the master cylinder. It is connected to the RV through (I think) a hydraulic line and he said it worked wonderfully. Since I have never understood how a brake-buddy could work effectively (try using the brakes on a Jeep GC without the engine running), I figured this must be a great item. Of course I got the brand name and all that and then promptly forgot it, does anyone here know what kind of system this could be?

Now, I have towed the Jeep without an auxiliary braking system and know this is frowned upon (for good reason). I do wish to add a brake system of some kind. Not sure a $1200, push-against-the-seat BrakeBuddy is the way to go though.

Comments, suggestions,?
(Flame retardant suit is on and my skin is thick, fire away).

Old 01-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ron,

I am not sure what system that fellow had but it is a proportional braking system which applies brakes to the towed vehicle depending on how hard the brakes are applies in the motorhome. I have this system from Roadmaster:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm/O...g-System/prodID=2506

It connects to the air brakes on my coach and since you have air brakes you might consider it. It does not push against the seat. A bracket is installed to the floor in front of the seat and the piston is attached to that. It is easy to install and remove and does not take up much room to store.

Another system you might consider is the Unified Tow Brake from U.S. Gear:
http://www.usgear.cc/

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RonNBama:
I talked to a guy who had a Chevy Suburban as a towed vehicle. I commented that it must be h*11 to stop the thing and he raised the hood and pointed out an add-on behind the master cylinder. It is connected to the RV through (I think) a hydraulic line and he said it worked wonderfully. Since I have never understood how a brake-buddy could work effectively (try using the brakes on a Jeep GC without the engine running), I figured this must be a great item. Of course I got the brand name and all that and then promptly forgot it, does anyone here know what kind of system this could be?

Comments, suggestions,?
(Flame retardant suit is on and my skin is thick, fire away). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">he raised the hood and pointed out an add-on behind the master cylinder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
M & G engineering Bama.....
M-G
Best unit out there,,,,, O.K. people, beat me soundly about the head and shoulders!!!!
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
No beating on this one....I have heard from others that the M&G is a good one...of course it's not the one I bought, but no one ever accused me of being smart
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Ron,

Ur right - you don't want a Brake Buddy. You want something that is vacuum assist, and that you can install and forget because it's always ready to go. The US Gear system that nodine mentioned is my choice. And to quote Sacs... "M&G is the [second] best unit out there." (Little editorial license taken there. )

Really, you can't go wrong with either one. And perhaps the AirForce One is worth a look. Ronboc likes that one, and they are a sponsor for iRV2.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We have the US Gear Unified Brake and do not have air brakes/air suspension system on the La Palma. It works with the hydraulic brakes we have. For the 250 miles I've towed the CR-V, we/I like it. It's progressive and proportional. I've heard the other 2 mentioned are popular.
My 2 cents,
Mic, of
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
OK... whatever you choose... don't lose sight of how important it is to have SOMETHING on your toad!

(Listen to your Mama! )

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:25 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
US Gear is a great unit. A big job to install but worth the time. 3 years on 2 different vehicles and not a single problem.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UPS 34:
US Gear is a great unit. A big job to install but worth the time. 3 years on 2 different vehicles and not a single problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My sentiments exactly. I've used the same US Gear controller for almost 9 years with 2 motorhomes and 3 toads without a single problem. All I've done is to replace a few individual parts when switching toads to make re-installation a little easier.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:20 AM   #11
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
"Mind yo Mama"....LOL

Thanks guys. The M-G is the type unit that Suburban was sporting. I haven't read completely through all the literature on these different units, but I would prefer one that works without me having another knob or lever to actuate.

Catch 22 is I'll have to tow the Jeep across at least one state line to reach an installation dealer. I recall the Suburban owner saying he had his done by the Mfg in TX (Athens?).

Anyway, thanks for the input. Happy Braking, or as I often see in print, "Happy Breaking". :-)
Old 01-11-2008, 06:09 AM   #12

I have heard the US Gear is a great system. We have the M&G system on our Explorer, we love it and has done the job in helping us stop a few times especially when people "cut you off". I do not think you can go wrong with either system. Just make sure the people that do the installation have references you can check on, I have seen some really sloppy installations on some cars.

Whippetmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:01 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We currently tow a small truck (Tacoma) which has the M&G system. I can't say enough good things about it except it may not fit your vehicle. We are thinking about replacing the truck with a small SUV and looked at the Ford Edge. Since the M&G sits in line with the master cylinder assembly there is not enough room on the Edge for the M&G. Some of the smaller SUV's have very cramped engine compartments and fittment might be an issue.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #14
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Hmmm, we used a Brake Buddy for several years in a '95 Jeep Cherokee with no problems. The BB worked as advertised.

SRT is offline   Reply With Quote