Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #1

Toad pulling

I've been pulling a grand Cherokee jeep for 2 years on long trips out West. It's been trouble free for over around 10,000 miles. I've checked my tire tread and there has been no wear on the front tires. When I tow I leave the steering locked straight. My question is this the correct way to tow. My friend leaves his in neutral with the key on and pulls a fuse.
Shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Steering should be allowed to turn. That said, the Jeeps I am familiar with do not lock straight ahead.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:26 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Like John said, your steering needs to be able to turn.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:29 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
What year grand Cherokee? Our 2005 was easy as far as the steering. Out in neutral, turn of, remove key, done. But the steering wheel doesn't lock.
Most cars DO lock though.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I don't think our 2014 locks.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #6

I'd have to assume Shoemaker's is the same, otherwise he would have noticed something strange happening in 10,000 mi of towing.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I'd have to assume Shoemaker's is the same, otherwise he would have noticed something strange happening in 10,000 mi of towing.
True.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #8

If your steering wheel was locked?. You would bend/break your tow bar the first time you proceded to turn your deal.

As suggested by others here if you double check you will find that your steering wheel doesn't lock ...many newer vehicles do not lock because with all the computer electronics today there are many other ways to deter theft that are much less costly to apply and less intrusive.

Happy Trails
Old 12-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #9

I tow a Suzuki Samurai and I did not like laving the key in the ignition so I took apart the key mechanism and disabled the locking device. Now I can tow with the doors locked and no keys in the ignition.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:30 PM   #10

I found a simpler method. Use the spare key FOB to lock the doors .
Old 12-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I found a simpler method. Use the spare key FOB to lock the doors .
That's we we do!
On our Colorado (dumped the Jeep), I installed the Roadmaster disconnect solenoid. Even if they got in, good luck finding the switch to turn power back on.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
If your steering wheel was locked?. You would bend/break your tow bar the first time you proceded to turn your deal.
It would probably depend on the tow bar and toad, but I accidentally towed our Tracker several times with the steering locked with no apparent damage. Most were very short, but once was for about 30 miles and around a couple of cul-de-sacs.

All were noticeable because the tires screetched some on corners and the toad kept the TC from tracking straight. On the longer distance for some reason I didn't notice the screetching, but kept wondering why it didn't track straight. I stopped at the first large parking space we came to and checked everything over until it finally hit me, duh!!

I may have had other things on my mind then because we had just visited a close friend whose wife had terminal cancer. She passed away later that year.

I probably got away without damage because the tow bar I use is a non-folding A frame type and the Tracker is pretty light.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #13

I used to tow a '99 Suburban that did have steering lock. I forgot one day to unlock it, and towed it about 150 feet up to a diesel pump. It shredded the tires because it was a tight turn to get onto the pump, and the tires still showed the marks (new tires at the time) until I sold it this fall.

If the OP had locked steering, after 10,000 miles the fronts would have pretty severe tire wear on the shoulders. I don't think it would tear the tow bar apart.

Ive managed to tow it 10 feet without putting it in neutral. Oops.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
It would probably depend on the tow bar and toad, but I accidentally towed our Tracker several times with the steering locked with no apparent damage. Most were very short, but once was for about 30 miles and around a couple of cul-de-sacs.

All were noticeable because the tires screetched some on corners and the toad kept the TC from tracking straight. On the longer distance for some reason I didn't notice the screetching, but kept wondering why it didn't track straight. I stopped at the first large parking space we came to and checked everything over until it finally hit me, duh!!

I may have had other things on my mind then because we had just visited a close friend whose wife had terminal cancer. She passed away later that year.

I probably got away without damage because the tow bar I use is a non-folding A frame type and the Tracker is pretty light.

Steve
Agreed!....and you made my point, that is that the front tires won't follow the tow vehicle if the steering is locked.

You were lucky and got away with only destroying your toad steer tires at a very rapid pace.

Try that with a folding tow bar and Chevy Suburban the results won't be so forgiving.

Sorry about the loss of your friend

Happy Trails.

Tags
toad