RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #1

toad wiring 2011 jeep

Anybody towing a 2011 jeep as a toad, how did you wire the stop/tail/turn signals. Use diodes or separate bulbs, not much room in tail light housing for extra bulbs. OK to use diodes with Jeep electronics for tail lights. One more thing, I have a Monaco Windsor with amber turn signals and separate stop lights, does the Windors aready have a converter for wireing for a toad without separate amber turn signals. Any thoughts would be a help please. Like to use diodes but not sure if it would affect any lighting modules. Ron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, if "...Any thoughts would be a help..."

Let me suggest wiring the brake lights only and forget about turn-signals on the toad. That's what I've done with my toads. I figure: If a driver can't see my monster-sized amber turn-signal lights on my RV, then that same person would not notice my toad's turn signals either!! I try my best not to be on the road at night, so I didn't wire the toad's driving lights either.

Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #3

Many years ago when we have a CJ5 that we pulled behind our motor home, I installed a seperate set to lights on the jeep and did a pig tail just for those lights. It envolved running a wiring harness from the back of the jeep to the front where I installed a plug-in.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ron: Check out this site then scroll down to Wiring. I found this to be very helpful when I wired my Jeep using the existing tail lights on the Jeep.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Go to etrailer.com -- They will have instructions & correct wiring for your toad -- William Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
This is what I'm using on my 2011 Rubicon, a little costly, but it taps into the vehicles wiring for a professional fit, no splicing into wires, no diodes, just plug and play (a little installation work, but in my opinion well worth it)...

07 - 10 Jeep Wrangler WIRING HARNESS for towing behind RV oem Mopar accessory | eBay
motorhomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #7

Hi Ron Thank you, I think your way would be the best and plus a neat looking install. Are there any instructions that come with this wiring harness. I think it goes from the front to the rear?? I can check with my dealer maybe but would not purchase it from them. Ron
Old 04-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Look here.........

Results for Jeep Wrangler '07+
Old 04-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Ron, yes instructions come with the kit; however, they have much to be desired. Example - the instructions are 99% drawings with little to no written instructions. If you do it yourself the two difficult parts are 1 - removing the right wheel flair (it's not all that difficult, but the directions give you little insight as how to remove the flair. Look closely and you will figure it out, if I remember right, after you remove a few bolts, the flair is then held in place by several clips). Once that is removed, you drill a hole in the firewall to feed the harness through, and 2 - finding the connection under the passenger side dash. Once you pass the harness through the firewall, just connect the connection to the existing plugs under the dash and you are ready to go. Space down there under the dash is really cramped, but it's doable. That's it. The finished install is 100% plug and play, no splicing and no cutting any of the vehicle wiring, and better yet, it's a factory part so (hopefully) it's engineered right by Chrysler/Jeep. NO running wires to the back of the Jeep, once you plug into the vehicle wiring under the dash, you're done. Sorry if that answer was a little lengthy, hit me back is I can answer anything else... Good Luck
motorhomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #10

WOW you guys are terrific, I think I handle this job. When I get the harness I,ll conatct you. Thanks, this is already starting to be fun can't wait to get started. Going out this Easter weekend but wife will have to drive the jeep solo. Ron
Old 04-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
try towdaddy.com, my neighbor has it on 2011 wrangler and his sister has it on2012 Grand Cherokee. it is easy install.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I'll second the Cooltech Harness that bighammer provided a link to. Has worked flawlessly for me and was easy to install.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashdriver View Post
I'll second the Cooltech Harness that bighammer provided a link to. Has worked flawlessly for me and was easy to install.
Cooltech
Old 04-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
i went to aotozone got 2 sockets ,2 bulbs,25 ft 4 conductor wire and a 4 pin "trailer" plug
cost under $25.00
tools required phillips screw driver,a 15/16th drill bit, electric drill
NO connection to vehicles system NO warranty issues
brianj

Tags
toad, wiring