Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2014, 12:44 AM   #1

Toilet leaks in back

Our toilet recently started spraying water in the back when it is flushed. We can't see in the back well enough to know exactly where it's coming from, but I'm guessing a split hose ? It's somewhere near the top of the pipes that water comes in. Is this an easy fix?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2014, 03:14 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the back, at the top, is a vacuum breaker.. IT has sprung a leak

Usually, on most designs, there is a Cap or Hat at the back of the toilet, perhaps 3-5 inches wide and 2 inched deep kind of retangular in shape

The vacuum breaker is under that.. You may need to loosen a screw on the back of it to lift it off.

The part is not very expensive, and should be replacable, most of the better RV parts stores or Camping World should have them.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm thinking that your leak is "closer" to where the water enters the bowl (because you say it only sprays water when flushing).

No matter where the actual leak, what is needed is some good lighting and a mirror (about 3" x 4", say). Position the mirror so that you can view some of the piping, then perform the flush action. You'll eventually "sight" whatever is the source of the leak.

Mine was a joint/connection leak and I had to replace a 4" section of PEX-type pipe with see-thru tubing from Home Depot (along with a couple of "radiator" stainless-steel clamps).
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Taking the toilet out is probably easier than you would expect. Disconnect the water connection and take out 4 screws at the base of the toilet - that's all it takes.

If your RV is from 2000, I maybe a good idea to have a closer look at all the moving parts and hoses on the back, and the only right way to do that is to take the toilet out so that you can see everything. This will give you peace of mind once you have made sure that everything is in good working order.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #5

On the toilet in my '99 Diplomat there is a hose that runs from the foot flush valve to the rear of the toilet. This hose is the "inlet" for water into the bowl when the toilet is flushed. The hose simple pushes on to the inlet fitting in the back of the bowl and occasionally the hose will slip far enough back from the fitting to allow some leakage when flushed. Reach behind the toilet, feel for where the hose slips onto the fitting and push it back on. No need to remove the toilet if this is the problem.

On mine there is no clamp or other means of holding the hose onto the fitting, but since there is no real pressure through the hose there is little need for a clamp, and no room for one anyway.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know what model toilet you have but if it has a water valve, like my Endeavor, they are prone to leaking after a few years. The fix is pretty easy. The valve can be replaced with the toilet in place but it's MUCH easier to just remove the toilet.

The whole kit, including a new toilet gasket, for my MH was less than $35.

Get the make and model of your toilet and someone on here will be able to get you the part numbers you need.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks