RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #1

toll roads in oregon and california

My DW and I are travelling down from Portland Oregon on Highway 101 down to San Francisco. Then we are going over to Annehiem, Calif. then over to Vegas.
My question is.... Are their many toll roads on this trip and what is the toll? How does a person pay while driving a motor home?? Do you have to get out or???

It has been a long time since I traveled in California..Do you take a roll of quarters or ?? When we went to Disney World in Orlando we always had a roll of quarters with us but that was in a car...so hope some one can advise us as to what to expect..

Thx
Ted

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Tedde

I don't think there are any toll roads on 101 in Oregon or california.

For sure no toll roads from anaheim, ca., to Vegas

jack

Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #3

There will be a couple of toll bridges ( Golden Gate comes to mind) but you just slowly thread your way between the toll booths and pay out the window. Plan on 3-5 $ per bridge for 2 axles. However you may be going the free direction, you only have to pay to get out of the Bay Area.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I live 50 miles North of San Francisco. When we head South in the MH, we always go around San Francisco to avoid the Golden Gate Bridge and 19th Avenue stop and go driving. I haven't seen any toll roads in Oregon or California. There may be some toll lanes in Southern California that I am not aware of.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with wthomas1 and would avoid going through SF. I have lived in various places around the bay area. Here is the route I take:
Hwy 101 South to Petaluma
Hwy 116 East to
Lakeville Hwy South to
Hwy 37 East (toward Vallejo) to
I-80 South to
I-780 East (toward Benicia) to
I-680 South to
San Jose, and get back on Hwy 101 South
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I agree with wthomas1 and would avoid going through SF. I have lived in various places around the bay area. Here is the route I take:
Hwy 101 South to Petaluma
Hwy 116 East to
Lakeville Hwy South to
Hwy 37 East (toward Vallejo) to
I-80 South to
I-780 East (toward Benicia) to
I-680 South to
San Jose, and get back on Hwy 101 South
Bob

That is exactly the route we take when going back to 101. If we are going to the valley we take I-580 East to I-5 off of I-680.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #7

Thanks BobGed...Petaluma koa is where we are staying..My DW wants to go to Alcatraz and Fishermans wharf..(shopping). The route you have menioned we will take to bypass San Fran with the MH. We are pulling so we will drive into San. Fran. and go back to Petaluma and when we go to Anahiem we will bypass the big city..
I will get a roll of quarters..I don't think you guys have dollar coins like us up here in Canada do you?? We call them LOONIES ....one dollar coin....And TWOONIES ....TWO DOLLAR COIN..

THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED
TED
Old 06-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
For the toll bridges in California, leave the roll of quarters at home and take a roll of dollar bills.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Stay on 5 down through Sacramento or 99 from Sacramento south. No tolls no bridge. Just straight down
srzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDE View Post
Thanks BobGed...Petaluma koa is where we are staying..My DW wants to go to Alcatraz and Fishermans wharf..(shopping). The route you have menioned we will take to bypass San Fran with the MH. We are pulling so we will drive into San. Fran. and go back to Petaluma and when we go to Anahiem we will bypass the big city..TED
Ah but there's another option so you don't have to drive the toad in all that traffic between Petaluma and SF. On the route that I described above, there is a city called Pleasanton, where there is an RV park One of the best Moderately priced rv parks in california, centrally located in northern California providing access to San Francisco, The Livermore Wine country, State parks, world class golfing, five star shopping, fine dinning, historical sites, Oa right off the freeway. It has everything except cable TV, so you'll need satellite service.

I don't know if you have heard of BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit), but there is a station about 3-1/2 miles from the RV park where you can park your car and take the train into the city (runs under the SF bay).

I would suggest detraining at the Powell street station and then take the Powell/Mason cable car, which will put you just a few blocks from Pier 39 (shopping) on Fisherman's Wharf, or the Alcatraz ferries.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Wads of Money Needed..

Here is some info regarding "RV restricted roads in California" . You can also find the "bay area bridge tolls" here ...but this is California so you must know that the Golden Gate bridge has it's own special toll charge ...and then because it is California...you must also notice the dates on the links - because the prices go up on July 1.

Good Luck and "Happy Travels"

PS...The only toll that Oregon had was the "Troll" that charged a toll to many Monaco folks...but it has since left Oregon ..so you are safe in Oregon!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
There are toll lanes on the 91 fwy between Placentia and I-15, however it is not a toll you can pay at a booth. You must have a transponder, so make sure you don't get in the wrong lane by accident. The toll lanes run along side the fwy.

https://www.thetollroads.com/home/maps.htm
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:00 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last time I was through that way, on the 580 to 101 two years ago, the bridge toll was $5.00, w/o toad.(Richmond bridge) No charge eastbound, you just pay one way. So, if you are coming south on 101, and heading to Vegas after Anaheim, I don't think you will have any tolls. Definately take WThomas's advice about not driving through San Francisco. Did that one time, with a 31 ft MH. Never again! Although this was just after the 91 quake so some of the roads were in not good shape. They had just got the Oakland bridge operational again. If you can stage it so you leave the Petaluma KOA early Sunday morning, the traffic on the 580 will not be bad. I refuse to go through that way any other time.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
For the toll bridges in California, leave the roll of quarters at home and take a roll of dollar bills.
Ditto that! The toll road off the 91 fwy heading towards the 5 fwy cost me double with the trailer. The cost almost killed me off after that steep climb just stopped short of doing so.

From the directions posted it looks like they will be avoiding the toll road.