Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #1

Total Vision Tilt-Pan Camera system

Approximately six months ago, I installed the Total Vision rear view camera system. I was immediately impressed with the system, but decided not to comment on it until I had accumulated mileage and several trips with the system. This is a one-camera system, not the multi-camera "bird's eye view" computer composite system.

Total Vision it is a tilt-pan, fixed focal length system. The “tilt-pan” is the unusual part of this system that first catches the eye. The system is OEM on many high-end coaches like my friend’s 2017 Foretravel. But there is more…much more.

I originally bought the system because my OEM Sony system was obviously reaching the end of its life, and it was a B&W system with a heavy CRT monitor. Like so many other Monaco owners, the flimsy plastic instrument panel in my coach had cracked in about every possible location, and was nearly cracked in half due to the weight of the old CRT monitor. I was machining some new aluminum instrument panels, and decided this was the time to upgrade.

First, the ability to easily, comfortably, and quickly change the direction of your rearview camera is a benefit you cannot truly appreciate until you have the system. You can quickly choose “Hitch View” or “Rear View” with the touch of a single button. And the keypad will indicate whether your camera is facing directly rearward, or slightly downward, or slightly left or right of center. If you are backing into an unknown space, regardless of lighting conditions, changing the camera direction can be a great help.

But something you do not get in a conventional rearview camera is any usefulness as anything other than something to view your hitch, or to view things that are dangerously close when you are backing up. Necessarily, the angle of view of those cameras approaches 180*. Although this allows them to show a large area, it also renders them largely useless as something to approximate the function of a rearview mirror in your car. The problem with a rearview camera with an extremely large angle of view is that it distorts your depth perception, so a vehicle that is almost on your rear appears to be 100 yards behind you. By the time you see a tiny speck in your rearview camera, that speck is a vehicle that is almost at the rear of your coach. If you did not have your mirrors, you could never make a safe lane change depending only on your rearview camera.

This camera is not only tilt-pan, but almost as useful is the fact that it has a much narrower angle of view. I don’t know exactly what the angle of view is, but it is MUCH less than that of the rearview cameras I have had experience with. When in rearview mode, it is actually valuable as a lane-change assist. Although in my opinion the angle of view is still too large, it is orders of magnitude less than any fixed camera I have seen.

I have several thousand miles on the camera system now, and have not had a single glitch. The installation CANNOT be made using ANY variation of your original cable. There are more conductors required for the tilt-pan functions. I ran new cable underneath the bay doors, enclosed in PVC conduit. The contact at Total Vision is Rod Thomas. rod@totalvisionproducts.com I had some issues with the installation that were totally my fault. Rod was uncommonly patient, and spent a great deal of time gently convincing me that the problem I had was a bad connection (that I had made). As much as I resisted his advice, he was ultimately correct, and in less than an hour, my problem was corrected by doing exactly what he suggested.

The system is undoubtedly expensive ($1,000+) compared to many of the systems available online. But if you are resigned to spending this much for a camera system I think you will be very pleased with this one.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2018, 06:08 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Van
I have a Total Vision System on my Motorhome also. A previous owner installed the system. I really like the single button to go from Rearview to Hitchview.

When I purchased the MH, the camera system wasn't working. I called Rod and he walked me through diagnosing the problem. The cable going to the camera had been severed in the front wheel well. How it got pinched, I have no idea. Rod was patient and helpful throughout the whole process. I recommend him to anyone seeking a good camera system.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:37 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
thanks OP and followup..

will look into it.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:53 PM   #4

Just wanted to 'double down" on my previous post regarding Total Vision Systems. Rod Thomas has proved himself AGAIN. I needed some obscure mount parts for my front camera. The plastic parts had cracked and were unusable. I called Rod and asked if he knew where I could find something like them. He said that he would call me back in a bit. He thought that he might have a couple of them. He called back and then shipped the parts to me for the cost of the shipping. I gladly paid him for the shipping plus I added a little for his efforts.

I'm writing this because if you need a new backup camera system, he is the man to call.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Van,

I'm having the same problem with cracked dash/switch panels, and was considering doing a complete "remodel" of my dash. Recently, I have been wondering about replacement camera monitor options, so your post has really peaked my interest.

I still have the Weldex monitor and for some reason mine was not installed with any type of factory bezel that I have seen on other Monaco coaches, and so it has always looked somewhat crude. Although it still functions fine, I would like to find a more aesthetically pleasing alternative to incorporate when I do the dash "remodel".

Do you have any photos of you monitor and camera install?

Thanks again,

Jim
zo66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera