Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #1

Touch up Paint

Anyone with experience in getting touch up paint to match. Can
I get the paint shades from Monaco even though it's 05 HR?
A chip here and there.
Frank
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #2

While you're waiting for the paint experts, here are a few observations:

a. If your coach is base-coat, clear-coat, then touch up paint won't blend all that well,
b. Most base coats are a 2-part product (paint, reducer and hardener). Touch-up paint in small containers will dry up fairly quickly,
c. Fading makes the OEM paint code incorrect. Take a piece of the coach to a paint shop and have them match the color and shade that is currently on the coach.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:04 AM   #3

Thanks Bama. Now that makes sense.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:55 AM   #4
JAW

Monaco Owners Club
To answer your original question, Monaco/HR should be able to give you the paint codes. I got them for my 03 Executive. It is important to find someone who sells the same brand of paint. Mine is BASF. The paint code formulas are based on larger quantities so it is tricky and iffy for the paint shop to mix small quantities, say 1/2 pint. The paint shop can load it into a rattle can for you. Base coat is un-catalyzed whereas the clear coat when applied by a shop is catalyzed. The catalyzed clear coat is a serious carcinogen and should only be applied using an air fed hood for personal protection. You can buy un-catalyzed clear coat but it is not as hard or durable so it will not buff out as well or last as long. If you opt to have the paint shop match your existing paint, a fuel fill door or dryer hood vent is an easy item to remove.
towing 2007 Saturn Vue
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:09 AM   #5

paint code

I found the paint codes on a sticker attached to the driver's seat pedestal. You can also obtain the codes from the Monaco build sheet if you have obtained it. It is my understanding that Monaco always put the sticker on the pedestal.

In 2005 Monaco was using Diamont (BASF) paint. It was difficult to find Diamont paint locally so I obtained a couple of spray cans on line. Pretty good match!!!

Wouldn't have to deal with this if I could stay away from sign posts and fences!!!!

Good Luck
Old 02-16-2015, 08:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Frank, Space Age Paint in Mesa, AZ will mix up as little as a pint of BASF Diamont and even put it in rattle cans for you. I'm guessing they will ship. We happened to be in Scottsdale for the month of Jan and I ran down to Mesa.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I can vouch for Glenn's comments about Space Age. When in Mesa in January we went there and got a pint of each of the three colors for our coach, which was enough to fill 2 spray cans each with a couple oz left over for small touch up bottles. The also sell a spray can of catalyzed urethane clear. It has a small canister in the lid that you plug into a port on the bottom of the can to inject the catalyst. That gives you 48 hours to use it before it hardens in the can. Expensive at $25, but worth it if you only have a small area to fix.

They have lots of other goodies as well, which is a hazard. I spent over $340 there on goodies that I couldn't live without, including a pack of the neatest little touch up syringes with replaceable end caps that have a very small dauber on the end for touching up very small chips and scratches. Of course, a little over $100 of that was for the paint.

They also told me they can ship these products.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #8

Monaco sent me the spec. sheets for all colors on the coach. The paint supplier wanted a panel from the coach to verify the colors. The cover on the rear of the refrigerator had all four colors, and made a easy to remove sample.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I needed some paint when my cargo door came in contact with one of those yellow post. I went to a DuPont paint dealer with the fuel door, and he computer matched it perfectly.
vettehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I found a BASF paint dealer near me that sold the Diamont paint. I got the paint codes from Monaco. I took the sheet to the paint supplier who mixed me up 1/2 pints of 3 colors and a pint of the main color. I believe the cost was ~$250 for the paint, clear coat and hardeners.

Since both the paint and the clear coat requires a hardener you can mix whatever portion you think you need. I had to paint 3 of my basement doors, 2 partially and on all 3 colors. The paint matched great. I have enough left over to do several more doors if needed.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #11

Seems like some of us dis-agree that coach paint fades with exposure to UV and time. The base/clear dark silver on my Mandalay is a different shade on the basement doors than it is on the front cap.
The paint I ordered matched the basement doors quite well, and was noticeably different from what the front cap had lightened to.
Hate to see people spend big bucks, only to try to paint a part (like the front cap or the top rolled roof edges) that's seen years of UV. My two cents, anyway.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:54 PM   #12

Thanks to you all.
Will call Monaco to get factory colors. Justlou, fridge door 2 of 4 colors on it.
Space age looks like an option, will be there in the fall. Bama, still see your point.
A mere chip here and there, nothing major.

More troublesome esthetic challenges like wood looking backpanel to toggle switches on dash with cracks and breaks more an eyesore. Anybody with thoughts on that? Would seem a great app for 3D printing someday.
Fighting age and wear never ending.
Thanks
Old 02-17-2015, 07:51 AM   #13

Craft Customs - Leather and Wood Grain Steering Wheels - Wood Dashes

These people were referred to me by another iRV2 member. I'd checked two other companies prior to hearing about them, and their quote is WAY more reasonable than the guys in FLA.

You remove the panels and send to them for re-furbishing/recovering/whatever.

P.S. If you just want to touch up minor rock chips and the whole cap could use a re-paint, consider going to car dealers for touch-up paint. Most likely you can find something close for a lot less than a mixed pint.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:15 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If u have the color codes u can go to Dr. ColorChip Automotive Paint Chip Repair Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems and they will mix up a chip repair repair kit that works pretty good I've used it on a lot of my cars and on mh
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint