Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #1

Towable cars

We just purchased a 2011, Class B+, 29' Montclair with 3 slides. We now need to get a vehicle to tow. Here is where I could use some help. I know not all cars are towable, 4 down. I have been reviewing the Motorhome Magazine's list of towable vehicles, but am wondering, are there any other cars that are not listed? Any ideas would be helpful. We came from the 5th wheel world. Thanks.

Dean
derh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I believe that Motorhome Magazine covers the list of vehicles very well. If you don't find what you want on their list then you could check with Remco about a pump for a vehicle that you want to tow.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another good website for towable vehicles is www.remcotowing.con/vehicles
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FMCA has all listings.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #5

Mikron--what is FMCA?
derh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by derh2o View Post
We just purchased a 2011, Class B+, 29' Montclair with 3 slides. We now need to get a vehicle to tow. Here is where I could use some help. I know not all cars are towable, 4 down. I have been reviewing the Motorhome Magazine's list of towable vehicles, but am wondering, are there any other cars that are not listed? Any ideas would be helpful. We came from the 5th wheel world. Thanks.

Dean
I would start by looking at vehicles that fit your needs and budget.
THen see which one you can tow 4 down if that is your choice of towwing mode.

For me it a easy choice (My 99 Wrangler).
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Mikron--what is FMCA?
FMCA= Family Motor Coach Asoc. largest group for motorized RV's and
Coming from a 5er I could see you not knowing about them
go here http://www.fmca.com/.....very worthwhile.....for some
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Mikron--what is FMCA?
Dennis has filled you in on FMCA so all I will say there is that we are members as well as thousands of other coach owners. Maybe we will see you at one of the rallies. We will be at Indianapolis in August.

With a Class B you probably need to keep the weight of the vehicle you tow to less than 4000 lbs. There are many vehicles that will work if you are willing to live with a manual transmission. Going with the auto transmission limits your choices. I would look at vehicles that you see a lot of folks tow. The Honda Fit or CRV are some. GM has a lot of vehicles that are towable with the auto trans. Although they don't make the Saturn anymore, you might find a good used one. That is a proved vehicle to tow.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Dennis has filled you in on FMCA so all I will say there is that we are members as well as thousands of other coach owners. Maybe we will see you at one of the rallies. We will be at Indianapolis in August.

With a Class B you probably need to keep the weight of the vehicle you tow to less than 4000 lbs. There are many vehicles that will work if you are willing to live with a manual transmission. Going with the auto transmission limits your choices. I would look at vehicles that you see a lot of folks tow. The Honda Fit or CRV are some. GM has a lot of vehicles that are towable with the auto trans. Although they don't make the Saturn anymore, you might find a good used one. That is a proved vehicle to tow.

Bob
Exactly what I was going to say. They've already done the homework, and many times have considerable experience. Using these "favored" vehicles also keeps the tow bar adapter prices reasonable!

Your rig's towing/hitch capacity and the weight of the vehicle you're considering are likely going to be major factors. That's where I would start. That may trim the list of potential candidates down to something more easily managed?

From there, you can pull up the remco link and plug any car you're considering into it for it's "4 down" towing capabilities.

http://www.remcotowing.con/vehicles