RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2009, 08:11 PM   #1

Towing a Jeep with or with out protection?

If I tow my jeep with my monico coach should I have some sort of hood protection and if so any idias we will not be in the snow it will be summer time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #2

I think it all depends if your gonna have trailer brakes on the jeep

Old 12-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoommaster View Post
If I tow my jeep with my monico coach should I have some sort of hood protection and if so any idias we will not be in the snow it will be summer time.
We towed our Jeep to Yellowstone this past summer from NJ (5500 miles) and all it got was very dirty from a few of the construction zones in the mountians. I never worried about it and I am sure that I have more rocks bounce off the Jeep driving to work. If I was really concerned about damage I think I would tow it in a trailer.
tom49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
It's a Jeep, it's made to get dirty. That aside, we did purchase a cover for the hood & windshield. Used it once 3 years ago & it's been back in it's carry bag ever since. Had to be sure the Jeep was clean before we put it on in case any dirt trapped under the cover scratched it. Once we took it off at out destination, after running around the area, had to wash the Jeep again before putting said cover on. Just too much trouble, IMO.

The best things we did were to hang a rock guard at the rear of the coach & put wider mud flaps behind all the coach wheels. Those have done wonders to protect our Jeep.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoommaster View Post
I am on my second Jeep and have towed them 16k miles with no trouble except getting it dirty, (which is what they do well). The only thing that I have heard on the Wranglers if you drive on gravel roads the open front fender on the Wrangler will throw rocks and hit the back of your MH. I have fixed that possible problem by fabricating sheet metal fender flaps that screw on when I tow and they work great.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #6

Bare1 foot now knows what to exspect when he towes his pickup just dirt and some minor little rocks in the windshield. I my self have towed a jeep from California to Washington in the winter time and had some minor damage to the radiator and front fenders but like they say hey its a jeep,
Old 12-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Don't tow a jeep now, but did. Don't currently use anything to protect my toad but did use this Protect-a-Tow in the past and found it to work well keeping objects from hitting but toad still got dusty.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #8

Our 89 Wrangler gets pelted from our 01 Dip. I learned the hard way, "no glove no love"
Old 12-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We've had two DPs with two different toads. The first one was a 2000 Safari Zanzi towing an 07 Cherokee. Towed that Jeep about 60k miles. After that the poor Jeep was pretty beat up in the front with mega rock chips and several broken lites. We didn't use any protective measures.
On our second DP, an 04 HR Imperial which now has 70k on it, we are towing a 04 GMC Envoy. We bought a full nose/windshield cover for it and use it on long hauls. When we move from Ca to Oregon or back east where we won't be using the car duiring the trip we leave it hitched and covered. So far there are no rock chips or dings that have occurred during towing.
The negative is that I noticed some rubbing on the paint after the first use so I now lay down painters masking tape, the kind that releases easily, on the vulnerable spots and have stopped that problem. I also place wide bungee straps across the hood to keep the flapping down. The cover rolls up and stows in the back of the Envoy nicely when not in use. I roll it up on the hood after wiping the vinyl side down with a wet towel to get the big pieces off. The biggest problem with it is trying to keep it clean!
Ron
Old 12-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #10

When we had a class C we purchased and used a Coastline Tow car shield on our Scion Xa tow car. It did a great job of protecting the front metal and windshield of the vehicle : Coastline Cover Company: Tow Car Shields . However it was a bit of a pain to put on in adverse weather... and had to be removed to drive the car. When we upgraded to a Class A , it came with a full length Safari Mud Flap across the back... in addition to standard rear wheel mud flaps. After several thousand miles and a year of towing without using the Coastline tow car shield, I think I probably wasted my money. I have yet to see any ding or chip on the front of the Scion. I'd recommend relying on a full length rear mud flap.
Ed_G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #11

Thumbs up Towed Jeeps

I have towed an '88 Wrangler for 10 years from WA to AZ in winter and all around OR, WA and rest of US. Originally I fabricated a guard for the grill and head lights. It turned out to be more bother and removed it after the first year. Dirt is the only issue. Never had a damaged front or head light. However, my Dynasty does have mud flaps and a Monaco rock guard that I believe is mostly responsible for the protection of the Jeep. Red rocks in the pan in front of the radiator (used extensively in OR during winter) has been the only issue. I have now upgraded to an '05 Wrangler Sport with a "nice" paint job so will watch carefully as I start to AZ in a couple weeks.

Wrangler05
wrangler05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #12

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I use the Roadmaster version of the Protect a Tow. Easy to use, rolls up and stays/stores on M/H mounted tow bar. After approx 20 k miles no dings or broken lights. I did not take this precaution with 01 Wrangler and it was dinged and a couple broken lights
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:52 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
since iplan on buying a new jeep next year as a toad. my ?? is what type of braking system are you using?
thanks
brianj
Old 12-31-2009, 09:21 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
I use the roamaster air brake system on the dp easy to us and works well. Also have the rock gard but never use it anymore as the dp full mud flap across the back seems to stop rock hits on the jeep. After 40+k miles and 6yrs of towing the jeep still looks new---no rock dings.