RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #1

Towing My Grand Cherokee

Hi Everyone

We purchased a 2014 Grand Cherokee (4WD) as our new toad. The Grand Cherokee is equipped with the QuadraLift. Base plate is on and going to hook it up to tow for the first time tomorrow morning. Any tips regarding towing the Grand Cherokee would truly be appreciated. Also, looking for advice regarding the tow bar.....once attached, should it be level with the coach? Any other tips you can share would be truly appreciated. Thanks!

Happy Trails,

Jeannie and Frank
2007 Monaco Cayman XL

JustCruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #2

Hi Frank, I've been pulled a 2011 GC, and now a 2014. Nothing to it! LOL!! I'm using a Falcon 2 tow bar, Air Force brake system. At most any time, it's hard to tell it's even back there. The hitch needs to be as level as you can make it. When I took it to AZ. last fall, I could feel it on big humps in the road, it would jerk on the hitch. I bought an extension that raised the hitch up to a more level stance, seemed to help. One thing that I have noticed is after unhitching and driving around, we have been getting a burning rubber smell from underneath, I took it to the dealer, and they said everything was fine. Well, it doesn't smell fine, but so far nothing has fell off, or quit working, so I guess I won't worry. When I pulled it with my Discovery, the Jeep wanted to manhandle the back of the MH. When you pulled out to pass, the back of the coach wanted to keep going straight, so you would get a little twitch. Last fall on the Beaver, it didn't bother at all. Take it easy at first, to get a little feel for it, but this has been an easy vehicle to pull. Good luck! I love my Jeep!!

GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I pull a 2005 Jeep GC, I can't hardly tell it's there. I use a Blue Ox tow bar. I did the base plate installation myself along with the Brakemaster 9100 system with break away canister. Not bad, just time consuming. I used separate bulbs in the rear for my turn signals and the brake lights are activated by the Brakemaster air cylinder. It works great and you don't need a to use any diodes in the system

The way my hitch is the tow bar is almost level when I'm hooked up.

Word of wisdom, make sure your release your park brake after hooking up. Got in a hurry 2 years ago and put flat spots on my 2 rear tires and burnt out my parking brake. Didn't even feel it in the coach but I bet people where staring at me in the campground.

Also, if you tow for more then 2 days you need to start your engine to recharge the batteries. We pulled it for 3 days coming back from NM last year and had a dead battery.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Towing My Grand Cherokee

There is a recall on the 14 on Cherokees due to an automatic steering program causing the tow vehicle to shudder violently. The fix is a switch to drain your tow vehicle battery;(
I have a 12 and will not buy a new one because of this problem. They screwed up a great toad

FMCA brought the issue to the manufacturer

As reported previously by Family Motor Coaching magazine (“RV News & Notes,” February 2016, page 36), Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US LLC (FCA) announced on January 20, 2016, plans for resolving the serious wobble problem that sometimes occurs when 2014-2016 Jeep Cherokees are towed four wheels down. The FCA statement said: “The vehicle’s Electronic Power Steering (EPS) system is inactive while the vehicle is being flat-towed with the ignition in the ‘off’ position. Accordingly, the vehicle does not benefit from the system’s function.”

The FCA statement said the problem will be resolved by “a jumper wire harness and switch to ensure the vehicle’s EPS system has power to function while it is being flat-towed.” Cherokee owners who will tow their vehicles four wheels down can get more information by calling the Jeep Customer Assistance Center at (877) 426-5337.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our toad is a '14 GC with a Blue Ox tow bar and SMI AF1 braking system ... we keep the bar level and do a light, brake and rolling check at each hook-up. Now at 14K miles - don't know the GC is back there except when we look in the camera view ...

We've had no issues with 'death wobble' or battery run-down. Our running lights and brake light system works independently of the GC's electrical system. Pay close attention to raising the GC to ride height and do give some consideration to a TPMS ... safe travels ...
Old 06-01-2016, 08:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
There is a recall on the 14 on Cherokees due to an automatic steering program causing the tow vehicle to shudder violently. The fix is a battery dis connect. I have a 12 and will not buy a new one because of this problem. They screwed up a great toad

The recall is on the cherokee not the grand cherokee as the OP was asking about. As I remember, the recall makes the electric steering active while being towed. The problem then is that after about 3 to 4 hrs of towing the battery is dead. This then will require a charge line to keep the battery charged. At least this is what I made of the situation.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
It just said Cherokees. I don't know if GC is included. You would have to call the number posted
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:57 AM   #8

Thanks everyone! I called the number regarding the "wobble" but they claim to have nothing on record regarding the issue. Advised me to contact the local dealership.

I believe I will need to purchase an extension for my coach in order to level the hook up with the tow bar. The coach rides about two inches lower than the hookup on the front of the GC. I'll do that before getting on the road.

Thanks again and looking forward to many great miles and adventures with our new to us GC!

Jeannie and Frank
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
JustCruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:16 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Be wary of what Jeep Customer Service tells you.

My 2005 Jeep GC was part of the transfer case recall. I got my recall notice and immediately had the work done. First time we tried to put it in neutral it would not do it. Took it back to dealer and they reflashed the computer, fixed it but then my wife was in NY by herself and the same thing happen. Drove the jeep to a dealer there and they reflashed it, another temporary fix.

Happen again in Florida, we decided to just drive the Jeep seperate.

When we got home I started doing some checking, there were posts all over the internet on this included reports to the NHSTA as to the problem. I called the local dealer and talked to service manager, he swore he never heard of the problem. I sent him a link with ~a dozen links to sites reporting the problem. I then called Jeep Customer service, I explained my problem and they told me they had no record of a problem.

I did learn of a work around, if it you can't get it to go into neutral you can pull a certain fuse to reset the system. We struggled with the problem for a year until Jeep finally came out with another recall to fix the first one.

Needless to say I was not impressed with how Jeep handled this issue. To begin with the real problem was a failed circuit board, from what I read it would develop cracks and cause the Jeep's transfer case to randomly go into neutral, even if parked with engine off. Instead of fixing it right by replacing the computer they tried to reprogram the computer but they got it screwed up. They would not admit their screw up and would not put the original programming back. By not admitting there was a problem it made the problem worse.

FWIW, I do a lot of reading on various RV forums, I think I've read of several posts regarding the death wobble of earlier model Jeeps. They also have a problem on some of the larger 2500 pickups. I know an individual who has one with the problem, I was in the shop when he brought it in, the shop manager admitted there was a problem and this is a FACT.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
There is a recall on the 14 on Cherokees due to an automatic steering program causing the tow vehicle to shudder violently. The fix is a switch to drain your tow vehicle battery;(
I have a 12 and will not buy a new one because of this problem. They screwed up a great toad

As reported previously by Family Motor Coaching magazine (“RV News & Notes,” February 2016, page 36), Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US LLC (FCA) announced on January 20, 2016, plans for resolving the serious wobble problem that sometimes occurs when 2014-2016 Jeep Cherokees are towed four wheels down. The FCA statement said: “The vehicle’s Electronic Power Steering (EPS) system is inactive while the vehicle is being flat-towed with the ignition in the ‘off’ position. Accordingly, the vehicle does not benefit from the system’s function.”

The FCA statement said the problem will be resolved by “a jumper wire harness and switch to ensure the vehicle’s EPS system has power to function while it is being flat-towed.” Cherokee owners who will tow their vehicles four wheels down can get more information by calling the Jeep Customer Assistance Center at (877) 426-5337.
---------------------------------------------------------------
This thread is about towing a GRAND CHEROKEE, not a Cherokee as the above post implies. There is a world of difference between the two products. This information about the Cherokee recall is NOT applicable here.

Towing the Grand Cherokee is EASY! We've got a 2015 and had a 2014 Grand Cherokee. We use a BlueOx hitch and the RV2 brake system. We've been across the country 5 times towing the Grand Cherokee and are now towing it in route to Alaska and have never had any difficulties.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have towed a 2012 and a 2014 Grand Cheorkee Overland with the Hemi. The 2012 had the 20" wheels and the front tires wore on the outer corners. The 2014 has the off-road package with 18" wheels and doesn't have the tire wear issue. Note that the factory instructions for putting the transfer case in neutral are not exactly correct, at least in the early versions. I use an RVi 2 brake system with a Roadmaster BlackHawk 2 All-Terrain tow bar. Great tow vehicle.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #12

And as a additional FYI the smell you have from under the jeep after towing is caused by road dust and mud and water adhering to the muffler. When you disconnect and drive the jeep the muffler gets hot hence the smell of something burning.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #13

Thanks for your reply, Stretch. It did it with the '11, and they changed the driveshaft, (under warrantee), so when the smell came back on the '14 I was afraid that was happening again. I changed the oil when I got back to MI. and checked it over very throuly and couldn't find anything, so I quit worrying about it. As you said, a few miles of driving and it goes away.

Dale
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:14 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I too get the hot rubber smell on our Flex after towing. Agreed that it is road debris getting in the radiator fins as well as on the exhaust. I took the big mud flap off because I noticed on one stretch of road that had a light layer of dust on it that I was kicking up quite a cloud sweeping the road. The smell has gone down to almost nothing now when we tow, so I believe I was creating a lot of turbulence with the flap whisking up road debris. My flap was hanging about 5 inches above the ground. Just my observance

Tags
tow, towing